Start by marking “The Age of Chivalry (Bulfinch's Medieval Mythology)” as Want to Read:
The Age of Chivalry (Bulfinch's Medieval Mythology)

The Age of Chivalry (Bulfinch's Medieval Mythology)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  690 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Bulfinch's Mythology is a classic retelling of the great myths and legends, from ancient Greece and Rome to the time of Charlemagne. The second volume, reprinted here, focuses on Arthurian legends, and covers such notables as Sir Gawain, Launcelot, Richard the Lion-Hearted, Tristan and Isolde, Robin Hood, and much more.
Published August 30th 2004 by Dover Publications (first published 1858)

To ask other readers questions about The Age of Chivalry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Age of Chivalry

9) The Adventure of the Cart
10) The Lady of Shalott
11) Queen Guenever's Peril
12) Tristram and Isoude
13) Tristram and Isoude (continued)
14) Sir Tristram's Battle with Sir Lancelot
15) The Round Table
16) Sir Palamedes
17) Sir Tristram
18) Perceval
19) The Sangreal, or Ho
Ensiform
This edition included a third section on "The Knights of English History" by Edward Everett Hale, added 17 years after Bullfinch's death. There was also a short into by Beryl Rowland. The two parts by Bullfinch were about King Arthur and his men, Tristam and Isolde and the quest for the Holy Grail (or Sangreal); and tales from the Mabinogeon, "tales" in Welsh.

I found the latter section to be the most fascinating, because the characters within were so human and humorous. The tale of Owain's roman
Jake
Ok, to be fair i am not much of a King Arthur type of guy so maybe this book wasn't for me to begin with, but with that said, I found the writing boring, the stories a little hard to follow, and the magic of the the legend not even there. I did learn a few things about King Arthur and the Round Table but wasn't much impressed with Bulfinch's description of it. I know this book is a holy grail (pun intended) to chivalry lovers but i don't think this book is for much anybody else.
Kellylynn
Took me a long time to read this. The first section was rough with all of the battles. But I rather enjoyed reading about Charlemagne. Most of those stories were not like I expected them to be.

Also the stories of Robin Hood were rather raw and completely full of battles, more so than expected.
Heather
I didn't finish reading it--it's too dry. It's a good reference book and it could be helpful if you needed to brush up on any Arthurian stories, but it's just so boring that it doesn't matter how many times you re-read a passage, you can be sure to fall asleep.
Jackie
Dry, no excitement. Not a big fan of Bullfinch. However, it is concise and gives the information on the myths.
Depending on what you are looking for, an interesting read or information, will determine whether or not you like it.
Danielle
interesting, although a bit crusty at times. i couldn't keep track of who was doing what, as various persons were presented in something of a blur. but i like reading on knights and chivalry and machismo.
Mike (the Paladin)
Again, not the edition I have.

Good read. Nice introduction to the ledgends of Arthur and the age of chivalry. Especially for young readers this is good.
Julie Unruh
It gives you theories, myth's, or the truth, what ever you believe. Got great names from that book for the character's in my stories.
Tana
Jul 21, 2014 Tana added it
Enjoying this because it is bringing me "up to speed" on English mythology and such. My eyes are being opened. :)
Jferrara
Jferrara marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Domagoj Čavrak
Domagoj Čavrak marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Adeyemi Ajao
Adeyemi Ajao marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Jayc Izso
Jayc Izso marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Demi
Demi marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Denise Dupree
Denise Dupree marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Nicole Cain
Nicole Cain marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Patrick Dugan
Patrick Dugan marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Mary Spork
Mary Spork marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Gwen Ngo
Gwen Ngo marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Yasmin Mohamed
Yasmin Mohamed marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
  • A Wonder-Book for Girls and Boys
  • Sylvie and Bruno Concluded
  • Lancelot: The Knight of the Cart
  • Myths & Legends of the British Isles
  • Heart of the West
  • Rudyard Kipling's Tales of Horror and Fantasy
  • Faeries (Magical Worlds of Fantasy)
  • The Fantasy Worlds of Peter Beagle
  • A Whisper in the Dark
  • Stories For Christmas
  • Parallel Myths
  • The Arthurian Encyclopedia
Bulfinch's Mythology The Age of Fable Bulfinch's Mythology: The Age of Chivalry/Legends of Charlemagne Golden Age of Myth & Legend (Wordsworth Reference) Legends of Charlemagne