Start by marking “From Goddess To Mortal” as Want to Read:
From Goddess To Mortal

From Goddess To Mortal

3.45  ·  Rating Details  ·  42 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Shows a combination of innocence and power as reflected through the narratives the Rashmila Shakya.
Published August 1st 2008 by Vajra Bookshop (first published September 30th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about From Goddess To Mortal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Goddess To Mortal

Brian
Mar 31, 2012 Brian rated it liked it
When I was in eighth grade, our English class read Shirley Jackson's short story "The Lottery" (if you haven't ever read it, it's here: http://www.classicshorts.com/stories/...). We read the story out loud, and upon completion our teacher asked a shocked room of students for their take on what the story had to say. I've never been able to forget that first reading and the impact it's had on me: cultures that are foreign to us can do some things that seem odd, immoral or even insane to us - but t ...more
Anja Weber
Apr 09, 2012 Anja Weber rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: friend's
Sometimes life could be rough even you have been once up on the time selected to bee ass child incarnation of Goodess Kumari. Old tradition of Nepal told by Rasmila Shakya, ex Kumari.. About traditions, life in the temple during the childhood, and everything what is happen when you are over 12 and the priesthood by tradition is locking for new Kumari, alive new Goddess.
What is happennig during the time in temple and after when new life, common is as it learning to run life in normal world so di
Nov 16, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it
Having just come from Kathmandu and seeing the current Kumari girl in Durbar Square, I was interested to know more about the tradition.
Luckily this book dispels many of the more disturbing rumours (108 buffalo heads to terrify the child, banned from seeing family, expelled at the first sign of blood).
In fact I was surprised (and disappointed) at how readily the false stories were told to visitors considering it would have been a good opportunity to correct the bad press.
Meghan Edmonds
Oct 24, 2013 Meghan Edmonds rated it it was ok
Reading it in a hotel room in Khatmandu after seeing the current Kumari and then going to see her again really gave it context. It was interesting and an insight into a culture that most of us know little about. Educational more than anything. Glad I read it but that's about it.
Gina
Mar 25, 2015 Gina rated it liked it
Fascinating since I actually saw Kumari recently. Otherwise, it wouldn't have been rated in the same light.
Kagama-the Literaturevixen
Ive been fascinated by this ever since I read about it in an article as a teenager.
Sophia
Sophia marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2015
Renfang
Renfang rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2015
CK
CK marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
Nely
Nely added it
Nov 17, 2015
Nicole
Nicole rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2015
Yuliya Zh
Yuliya Zh marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2015
Romina
Romina marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2015
Kathy
Kathy rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2015
Dinu_bajyahoo.Com
Dinu_bajyahoo.Com marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Raju Maharjan
Raju Maharjan rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2015
Liane
Liane is currently reading it
Aug 14, 2015
Rock Hsieh
Rock Hsieh marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Biyas Deb Bhattacharya
Biyas Deb Bhattacharya marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Kashif Khan
Kashif Khan marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Louis
Louis marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Sebastian
Sebastian marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Angelica
Angelica marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Vicky
Vicky marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015