Start by marking “From Goddess To Mortal” as Want to Read:
From Goddess To Mortal

From Goddess To Mortal

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Shows a combination of innocence and power as reflected through the narratives the Rashmila Shakya.
Published August 1st 2008 by Vajra Bookshop (first published September 30th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about From Goddess To Mortal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Goddess To Mortal

Brian
When I was in eighth grade, our English class read Shirley Jackson's short story "The Lottery" (if you haven't ever read it, it's here: http://www.classicshorts.com/stories/...). We read the story out loud, and upon completion our teacher asked a shocked room of students for their take on what the story had to say. I've never been able to forget that first reading and the impact it's had on me: cultures that are foreign to us can do some things that seem odd, immoral or even insane to us - but t ...more
Anja Weber
Apr 09, 2012 Anja Weber rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: friend's
Sometimes life could be rough even you have been once up on the time selected to bee ass child incarnation of Goodess Kumari. Old tradition of Nepal told by Rasmila Shakya, ex Kumari.. About traditions, life in the temple during the childhood, and everything what is happen when you are over 12 and the priesthood by tradition is locking for new Kumari, alive new Goddess.
What is happennig during the time in temple and after when new life, common is as it learning to run life in normal world so di
Having just come from Kathmandu and seeing the current Kumari girl in Durbar Square, I was interested to know more about the tradition.
Luckily this book dispels many of the more disturbing rumours (108 buffalo heads to terrify the child, banned from seeing family, expelled at the first sign of blood).
In fact I was surprised (and disappointed) at how readily the false stories were told to visitors considering it would have been a good opportunity to correct the bad press.
Meghan Edmonds
Reading it in a hotel room in Khatmandu after seeing the current Kumari and then going to see her again really gave it context. It was interesting and an insight into a culture that most of us know little about. Educational more than anything. Glad I read it but that's about it.
Kagama-the Literaturevixen
Ive been fascinated by this ever since I read about it in an article as a teenager.
Paula Arbex
Paula Arbex marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Megafishbites
Megafishbites marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Sabina Maharjan
Sabina Maharjan marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Marcela
Marcela marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Chelsea Lynn
Chelsea Lynn marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Lora
Lora marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Jennifer Gardner
Jennifer Gardner is currently reading it
Oct 21, 2014
S
S marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Madoka Beniya
Madoka Beniya marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Deepenti Shrestha
Deepenti Shrestha marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Yusuf Shrestha
Yusuf Shrestha marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Dale Edmonds
Dale Edmonds marked it as to-read
Shweta Krishnamoorthy
Shweta Krishnamoorthy marked it as to-read
Be Ena
Be Ena marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
June
June marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Felix
Felix added it
Aug 03, 2014
Navin Sam
Navin Sam marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Nancila
Nancila marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Joy
Joy added it
Jul 09, 2014
Steph
Steph marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
From Goddess to Mortal (The True-Life Story of a Former Royal Kumari)