Start by marking “Harem (Cetin Ikmen, #5)” as Want to Read:
Harem (Cetin Ikmen, #5)

Harem (Inspector Ikmen #5)

The body of a teenage girl is discovered in a cistern deep below the city of Istanbul. For the Turkish police force's most talented officer, Inspector Çetin Ikmen, this is a difficult case. The girl was his daughter's friend and her attire, that of a nineteenth-century Ottoman, offers no easy explanation.With his promise of justice to the dead girl's mother still fresh on ...more
Published September 1st 2003 by Headline (first published February 3rd 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Harem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harem

My Name is Red by Orhan PamukSnow by Orhan PamukIstanbul by Orhan PamukThe Bastard of Istanbul by Elif ShafakBirds Without Wings by Louis de Bernières
Mediterranean Melting Pot (III): Byzantium and Turkey
43rd out of 143 books — 179 voters
The Bastard of Istanbul by Elif ShafakMy Name is Red by Orhan PamukIstanbul by Orhan Pamuk1453 by Roger CrowleyMurder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie
Istanbul
25th out of 118 books — 35 voters

More lists with this book...

Chrissa Vasileiou
Jan 07, 2016 Chrissa Vasileiou rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-crime
Ένα από τα σημαντικότερα πράγματα που ψάχνω πάντα στα βιβλία που διαβάζω,είναι το ταξίδι.Θέλω να ταξιδεύω μαζί τους πνευματικά,γεωγραφικά,πολιτισμικά..Το "Χαρέμι" μου πρόσφερε αυτή τη δυνατότητα και είμαι πολύ χαρούμενη γι' αυτό! Όταν μάλιστα το ταξίδι συνδυάζεται με αστυνομική δράση,μυστήριο και έγκλημα,τότε θεωρώ πως έχω βρει τον τέλειο συνδυασμό!
Στο βιβλίο αυτό λοιπόν,που αποτελεί μέρος της σειράς βιβλίων της Barbara Nadel με ήρωα τον επιθεωρητή Τσετίν Ικμέν,ο αναγνώστης γνωρίζει από πρώτο χέ
Spuddie
Feb 27, 2014 Spuddie rated it liked it
As much as I love foreign-based mysteries (this one is in Istanbul, Turkey)...they do all seem to share some common themes that get old and wearying after awhile, such as corruption in the police and government, with no real resolution even when the mystery is solved. I love this main character--Cetin Ikmen, a chain-smoking atheist who is married to Fatma, a devout Muslim. They have nine children and live in a crowded apartment, mostly because Ikmen is squeaky clean and doesn't take bribes. His ...more
Mehwish
Sep 24, 2016 Mehwish rated it really liked it
Crime thriller. That you buy on a notion that it will kill the boredom of insomnia and when are just pretty much bored of your own ponderings over conspiracy theories, tedious travelings and visiting relatives.

It is quick read; how you opt to skim the repeated content. Especially when the character is a chain-smoker and in every page or two he is lighting his cigarette (if only I knew how it feels)

The plot was ambitious and steady. Too many characters in it which made it somewhat exciting for
Chris
Oct 21, 2011 Chris rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-turkey
Inspector Ikmen rocks in this page turning thriller. But the rock of Ikmen's integrity is tested to its limits in this book. Ikmen begins investigating the murder of one his daughter's coworkers and is swept into an international conspiracy theorist's dream about sex and power. Meanwhile on the homefront his daughter is falling in love with a Jewish boy, his brother-in-law is moving in with him to die, and one of his officers is engaging in some inappropriate behavior. At the same time a Turkish ...more
Cathy
Nov 30, 2013 Cathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Este não é o género de livro que costumo apreciar. Associado, desde há uns anos que as traduções para português me fazem revirar os olhos. Assim, as espectativas inicias eram francamente baixas.
No entanto, este livro surpreendeu-me. Para alguém que dificilmente se deixa cativar por policiais, dei por mim sempre a questionar-me como tudo se ligava. A verdade é que me prendeu até ao fim. A cadência foi excelente. E o fim não era nada expetável e estranhamente realista. A autora não caiu na tentaç
Nikki Mcelman-doucette
Sep 02, 2015 Nikki Mcelman-doucette rated it it was amazing
The only thing that would have made this better would have been a phonetic dictionary on how to pronounce the names. Excellent plot, well told and extremely well-written.
Jessica Howard
Apr 24, 2008 Jessica Howard rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
A book redolent of the mysteries and secrets hidden in Istanbul since Ottoman times. Inspector Ikmen must simultaneouly attempt to solve the disappearence of a famous actor's wife, and the brutal rape of a young girl, while simultaneously dealing with his recalcitrant teenagers, and the complications surrounding the birth of his colleague Suleyman's son. If you're into big conspiracy theory type mysteries, as well as some characters with creepy sexual tendencies, this book will be right up your ...more
Irismacpherson
Jan 18, 2011 Irismacpherson rated it it was ok
Interesting mystery set in Istanbul. Not my kind of book. I had a hard time following characters re turkish names. I liked the main detective Cetin Ikemen but did we have to hear how many times he lit a cigarette. I felt the plot was too ambitious and unruly. In the end I was uncertain what was what. Some parts were too simplistic. Hard to believe the police didn't know about the Harem when street people did. Did not make me feel i would like to visit Turkey anytime soon
Jack Laschenski
May 01, 2009 Jack Laschenski rated it it was amazing
OK!

Dead girls in 19th century Odalisk costumes.

A Turkish move star in Hollywood.

Decapitation as a persuader.

American mafia connections (they lose!)

Cisterns and tunnels beneath Istanbul.

A police psychiatrist with serious post-partum depression

A teenage police officer's Turkish daughter in love with a beautiful Jewish boy

Want to throw anything else into this stew????

Couldn't put it down.

Barbara wins again.
Glitter
Jun 23, 2011 Glitter rated it it was ok
It was an OK book which I read in segments, brokenly due to the rather mediocre plot and extensive backgrounds on cheating characters of this book. The conclusion was a disappontment and I'm rather upset at the hopeless stance the writer has taken in concluding this detective/crime-style plot. I might try reading other works of this author in the future however, just to see whether I unjustly berated this piece.
Barbara
Feb 02, 2012 Barbara rated it liked it
Set in Istanbul – hard to wrap my head around the numerous Turkish names – a tale about the discovery of a teenage girl dressed in the attire of a nineteenth century Ottoman Odalisque. The victim is the daughter of investigator Ikmen’s daugher. Deep mystery with connections to the Russian, Sicilian, and Turkish mafia. Different – I liked it.
Elizabeth
Jun 07, 2011 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Inspector Ikmen begins by trying to solve the case of the brutal death of a teenage girl, a friend of his daughter's. Before he is finished he has stirred up old hidden crimes and he is left disillusioned because he has to kowtow to powers beyond his control if he is to keep his family and friends safe.
Marion
Dec 18, 2014 Marion rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery-crime
While the location - Istanbul - and the characters were interesting - police detective Cetin Ikmen is the main character - the writing was not that great. A bit disappointing, especially when I see that this is the 5th in the series - I thought that maybe this was a first or second novel.
Sue
Aug 17, 2010 Sue added it
Gave up three-quarters of the way through. Kept getting distracted by better books. It's an okay read if you are interested in learning about Turkey. The mystery is kind of weak, I got tired of waiting for it to reveal itself in the plot.
Jane
Jun 03, 2009 Jane rated it liked it
I think I might have liked this book better - if I started earlier in the series - a great mystery/dective character - did get a little lost with uncommon names for characters - can't help but happen - with the book being set in Turkey.
Elli
May 17, 2014 Elli rated it really liked it
Shelves: turkey, detective
Another very enjoyable book. Deals with customs and people in the beginnings of modern Turkey right after Ataturk's period of leadership. Well recommended!
Lester
Oct 13, 2013 Lester rated it liked it
Hmmmm..will most likely read other books by Barbara Nadel. The story has enticed me to read about Istanbul and the Ottoman Empire.
Kemi looves 2 read
Sep 18, 2009 Kemi looves 2 read rated it really liked it
Absolutely CAPTIVATING. I could barely put it down. Some words I picked up: Odalisques, Janissary
Gabrielle
Aug 09, 2009 Gabrielle rated it liked it
Shelves: ottoman-empire
Hardboiled Istanbul Detective. Captures the modern and ancient world around him
Stacy
Apr 07, 2010 Stacy rated it it was amazing
Have been enjoying the series, although these are not mindless mysteries.
Hoyadaisy
Feb 18, 2016 Hoyadaisy rated it it was amazing
The best so far of a terrific series.
Robert
Jul 06, 2010 Robert rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Robert by: boby7722004@yahoo.com
2nd reading.
First read May 2004.
Benjamin Idris
Benjamin Idris rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2016
Megan Donnelly
Megan Donnelly rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2016
Patricia Routon
Patricia Routon rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2016
Terry
Terry added it
Sep 03, 2016
Umreena
Umreena rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2016
Kerstin Melin
Kerstin Melin rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2016
SushiL
SushiL rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2016
  • Friends in High Places (Commissario Brunetti, #9)
  • The Chinese Lake Murders
  • Under the Dragon's Tail (Detective Murdoch, #2)
  • Hidden Depths (Vera Stanhope, #3)
  • The Gigolo Murder
  • Buckingham Palace Blues (Inspector Carlyle #3)
  • Fyrmästarens dotter (Karin Adler, #1)
  • The House on Bloodhound Lane
  • Landed Gently
  • Der Trümmermörder
  • Anarchy and Old Dogs (Dr. Siri Paiboun, #4)
  • Ashes of the Elements (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #2)
Barbara Nadel is an English crime-writer. Many of her books are set in Turkey. Born in the East End of London, Barbara Nadel trained as an actress before becoming a writer. Now writing full-time, she has previously worked as a public relations officer for the National Schizophrenia Fellowship's Good Companion Service and as a mental health advocate for the mentally disordered in a psychiatric hosp ...more
More about Barbara Nadel...

Inspector Ikmen (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Belshazzar's Daughter (Inspector Ikmen #1)
  • The Ottoman Cage (Inspector Ikmen, #2)
  • Arabesk (Cetin Ikmen, #3)
  • Deep Waters (Cetin Ikmen, #4)
  • Petrified (Cetin Ikmen, #6)
  • Deadly Web (Cetin Ikmen, #7)
  • Dance with Death (Cetin Ikmen, #8)
  • A Passion for Killing (Cetin Ikmen, #9)
  • Pretty Dead Things (Cetin Ikmen, #10)
  • River of the Dead (Cetin Ikmen, #11)