Start by marking “Stronghold (Dragon Star, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Stronghold

Melanie Rawn

Stronghold (Dragon Star #1)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  8,301 ratings  ·  50 reviews
With her widely acclaimed, best-selling fantasy trilogy, DRAGON PRINCE, Melanie Rawn opened an enchanted gateway to a spellbinding universe of Sunrunner's magic and sorcerous evil, of a ruler fighting to bring peace to a world of warring kingdoms, and of the dragons - deadly dangerous yet holding the secret to wealth beyond imagining.

Now, in STRONGHOLD, the first novel of
587 pages
Published April 10th 1992 by Pan (first published September 3rd 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Stronghold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stronghold

I read all the Sunrunner novels when I was a teenager. I remember tucking them into my backpack to escape lunch period...and math class...and chemistry...and biology. What can I say. High school & I didn't get along. >___>

To be honest, I can't speak as to their quality aside from nostalgic value -- but when I was clearing out my collection of accumulated fantasy paperbacks, I put all six aside as keepers. This particular book is the first one I read. Exact details escape me, but there
Aldi
Wow. I have to admit the middle years (i.e. Star Scroll & Sunrunner's Fire) have lost a bit of their shine for me over the years, but as with Dragon Prince, Stronghold yanked me right back into the middle of things, and by "things", I mean delicious, delicious heartbreak. I think the Dragon Star series is definitely where MR's talent for epic, continent-spanning narration comes in - the war takes us all over the princedoms and it's amazing how much you can feel for characters whose plot is e ...more
Sideshowrob
Oct 08, 2007 Sideshowrob rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all fantasy fans
I read this originally when I was in middle school, and it has stayed in my collection and been re-read several times. I adore this series, such strong characters and strong family relationships - something I think stuck with me forever as ideal ;-) I love the magic aspect, the dragons, the names of the characters, the game of thrones, this to me is an epic fantasy series.
David
I bought these a while back but didn't get around to reading them until now. I still fondly recall the original trilogy and this book managed successfully to recapture that nostalgic feeling.

The author's strong characterisation is again very evident in this book. You get inside the heads of many major characters and get to see their motivations and things from different perspectives. Granted, the years between my reading of the trilogies has diluted my memories to the point that I can't really c
Helen Corcoran
Alyssa Archambo
I made the mistake of reading this even though I haven't finished the Dragon Prince trilogy. Due to that, there were some plot points of the previous trilogy that I'm sure were ruined, and I was thoroughly confused for the first 100 pages or so. It didn't help that those pages were also incredibly, incredibly slow. The family tree and character list at the end of the book really helped, and after the first 100 pages, I got the gist of who everyone was.

As with most high fantasies, Stronghold take
Drew Patrick Smith
Jul 05, 2011 Drew Patrick Smith rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the Dragon Prince series
From the PFS Book Club...

What I Liked: In books, you rarely get to see your big, favorite characters fail. One of the things I love about Rawn is that she is willing to mercilessly kill off major characters (there are several in this book, including one at the end that is likely to shock any reader of the previous series) and she's also not afraid of allowing her characters to be complete idiots and screw things up. Several beloved characters do very stupid things in this book, allowing all sort
Gemma
A great continuation of the Dragon Prince trilogy, Stronghold (the first in the Dragon Star trilogy) sees the introduction of a mysterious new enemy, with ancient ties to an old enemy. For all that the novel was about this ongoing war, there was not as many battle scenes as one would otherwise expect. I was very grateful for both the map and character index, and found myself referring to them often to get everything straight as I read. The novel ends on a bit of a cliffhanger (although I'm not s ...more
Rob Towell
These books are ok, in general. There are no real break through or any thing I would call out as being particularly good or inventive on the authors side, but the writing is done in a way that allows you to be pulled into the world.

One weakness of this author, is the frequent sex scenes, it seems for this author a recurring theme in her books is sex, sexual tension and sexuality in general are only a tool for manipulation and control. Normally this would not bug me too much however it crossed th
Omly
This book starts up the Dragon Star where the Dragon Prince trilogy ended. While the last series was about Rohan and those around him, this series focuses on his son Pol. Both series are full of political intrigue, but this one has more military battles, as the new High Prince is at war with an invading army.

In addition to some mention of sexuality, this contains descriptions of physical violence. So if you tend to avoid that sort of thing, you may want to consider your own comfort level.
Andreea Pausan
I have just finished reading the Dragon Star trilogy - just great. A triumph of the intellectual over the barbarian, all done with knowledge, hardship and compassion. I loved the fact that every decision is discussed at length, from various perspectives and considering all angles: political, social, economical, religious. And all in good humour.
Heather
Oct 16, 2008 Heather rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Heather by: My Brother
Shelves: fantasy
A very exciting return to the world of Dragon Prince after the first trilogy.

Here a brand new enemy is introduced but ties in nicely with the first three books.

There are a number of new engaging characters as well as our old favorites although readers my not like what happens to some of them in this and the subsequent books. The world is plunged into war seemingly overnight and nobody's life will be the same.
Natalie Lozano
Every time I re read the Dragon Prince series and the Dragon star series, I am reminded of how much I love Melanie Rawn's storytelling. The characters are so vivid to me. So much so that the book lingers with me for a little bit. I am left missing the characters until I read about them again. My only complaint. I wish they would all be released in E-book as well. The fat books get hard to hold in my bad hands.
Dawn
I love medieval fantasy and this was a great story of it's type. I did not read the previous series set in this world but after only reading the first book in this trilogy I already have plans to. The setting was well written and the characters engaging. The bad guys are mysterious and very evil, always a favorite for me.
I'm happy to have found another great fantasy author.
George
Nov 06, 2010 George marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I started reading this years ago, after reading the Dragon Prince trilogy, which I loved. Unfortunately I was about 2/3 through it when it came time to graduate and move home from college. Somewhere along the line the book got misplaced and I haven't gotten around to finding a new copy and starting it back up again. Someday maybe I'll finish it...
Markus
Nov 03, 2007 Markus rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
This book is the first in the Dragon Star Saga. Taking place after the Dragon Prince Trilogy again it starts out to be a very politically oriented story line but turns into a great saga. The story keep your attention and takes you into a world of High Princes, Sunrunner Magick and Evil Sorcery. It is a good read for any dragon and fantacy lover.
Caroline
I enjoyed these when I was a pre-teen, but remember them being pretty trashy. Despite that, I read the entire series in quick succession after being recommended them by a friend, and pretty quickly forgot everything about them, so they're definitely not all that memorable.
Michelle E.
Prince Rohan? Why do I see so many characters named after Lord of the Rings stuff lately? I love LotR and the Hobbit, so I spot these things a lot LOL. (No offense intended to this book, if you deem such a comparison as hurtful or something...)
Deprimerend. Alle karakters die in de vorige serie eindelijk allerlei problemen overwonnen hadden, worden hier weer geconfronteerd met een hele nieuwe set problemen. Darker & Edgier en Anyone can die.

Desondanks blijft het fascineren.
Thalia
I read this book, and a couple after it in this series. It's entertaining and an interesting world that is built, but I was distracted/frustrated with the emphasis on people at times when I wanted more worldbuilding/description.
Anita
This is the follow up trilogy to the Dragon Prince and gives us the stories of the next generation who faces internal strife and political intrigue as well as invaders. This really tied into the first trilogy very well.
Diana
This is the series that first introduced me to fantasy fiction. (Thank you Faith Mehler) Every couple of years I go back and re-read it just to make sure it's as good as I remember. It never disappoints.
C.Brown
This author never ceases to entertain me. An established, well thought out, and highly entertaining fantasy tale that sweeps you up in the compassion of the characters and the intensity of the story
Erica
My BFF and I both read this back in college (early '90's) and we LOVED it. We'd talk about it for hours, discussing everything in depth. We were totally caught up in this universe...
Lynn
It is a toss up for me on the best epic fantasy series. I think my favorites would be Rawn, Tolkien, Williams & Eddings but had to follow my heart and say this series was the best for me.
Paul
Dragon Prince was too easy. Melanie cranks it up to 11 in this one as the Dark Ages come to the island of the Princes. Hope you're not too attached to any main characters or their sanity.
Rich
The entire series has wonderfully written characters with flaws as breathtaking as their abilities. The magic is inventive and I liked the use of colors to help describe characters.
Rachel
The Dragon Star trilogy takes up where the Dragon Prince trilogy ended. More swords, dragons, magic coming your way, as Pol, the son of Rohan and Sioned, steps up to the plate.
Brenda Backlund-pearson
This second trilogy (but continuing saga) is harder for me to enjoy. The story seems to be dragging along, but this one was still a good book.
  • A Pride of Princes (Chronicles of the Cheysuli #5)
  • The Will of the Wanderer (Rose of the Prophet, #1)
  • The Shining Court (The Sun Sword, #3)
  • King's Dragon (Crown of Stars, #1)
  • The Stone Prince (Branion, #1)
Melanie Rawn received a BA in history from Scripps College and worked as a teacher and editor before becoming a writer.

She has been nominated for a Locus award on three separate occasions: in 1989 for Dragon Prince (in the first novel category), in 1994 for Skybowl (in the fantasy novel category), and again in 1995 for Ruins of Ambrai (in the fantasy novel category).

More about Melanie Rawn...

Dragon Star (3 books)
  • The Dragon Token (Dragon Star, #2)
  • Skybowl (Dragon Star, #3)
Dragon Prince (Dragon Prince, #1) Skybowl (Dragon Star, #3) The Ruins of Ambrai (Exiles, #1) The Star Scroll (Dragon Prince, #2) Sunrunner's Fire (Dragon Prince, #3)