The Very Hungry Caterpillar

The Very Hungry Caterpillar

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  192,029 ratings  ·  3,942 reviews
Suitable for children, this title covers colourful collage illustrations and its deceptively simply, hopeful story. It features die-cut pages and finger-sized holes to explore.
Board Book, 26 pages
Published September 30th 2001 by Penguin Books, Limited (UK) (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about The Very Hungry Caterpillar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Very Hungry Caterpillar

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
Best Books Ever
138th out of 32,825 books — 124,880 voters
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Children's Books
2nd out of 3,046 books — 4,443 voters

More lists with this book...

Chris
I actually gave this book 5 stars, but the very hungry caterpillar ate one of them.

Also, did anyone else get a defective book? My version has a bunch of holes in it.
Rebecca
Manual
Jun 26, 2008 Manual rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a good read
Recommended to Manual by: Bill Bryson
Shelves: fiction
A deeply touching saga of the hardship of a young catapillar's life.
The main character has to overcome his ravenous appetite on his jouney to become a butterfly.
There were were in my eyes and laughter too as I jouneyed with the catapillar in the greatest epic ever told.
We had much to learn from the noble catapillar.
Kate
I believe this book is THE MAJOR CAUSE of the childhood obesity epidemic currently sweeping the nation. Still, nice illustrations.
Pirate
kids: 3
times I've read this book: zillions
times I've loved reading this book: every single one
Destinee Sutton
SPOILER! He turns into a butterfly.
Kirk
Mar 22, 2012 Kirk rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Gluttons
Recommended to Kirk by: Three year old at library (actually I just pushed him down and stole the book from him)
"Fat is Beautiful"
Susan Albers, Psy.D.

"Eat like a f*cking pig for a week straight, and you will emerge more beautiful than ever before"
Eric Carle (liberal paraphrase of The Very Hungry Caterpillar)

If anything positive can be said of Eric Carle's septic celebration of American gluttony, it's that it does a wonderful job of idealizing the pig-like attributes of our population. Throughout the story, the caterpillar gnaws through food products ten times his size. He starts off on an admirable foo...more
Mark Lawrence
Former president George W. Bush named this his favorite book from childhood (it came out when he was 23 ... but perhaps he meant his kids' childhood). In any event it's one of my favorites from my childhood, and from reading to my own kids. Was it the first to put holes through its pages? Probably not, but it worked very well. Kids like sticking their fingers in things - genius!

Anyhow - this is one HUNGRY caterpillar! He puts a hole through everything be it a slice of watermelon (or wacca menon...more
Ben Rawson
Sep 12, 2007 Ben Rawson rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: tanesbooks
I this book we learn that caterpillars, like humans, enjoy eating junk food, but are probably better off just eating leaves, like humans...
MJ Nicholls
Nov 30, 2012 MJ Nicholls marked it as getting-even
Excised from this edition is the chapter where the caterpillar, crazy with starvation, climbs onto a sleeping frog, burrows into its brain and becomes the frog’s Slave Master. Slowly, the caterpillar uses the frog’s brain to intimidate the other amphibians using a Stalinist diktat that leads to a mass cull of water boatmen and a systematic persecution of water rats until the mallards, mad with rage, march on the frog armies in a violent, feathery uprising that leaves eight million swans dead and...more
Manny
I know everyone's supposed to love this book, but I just don't see what's so great about it. The character of the caterpillar is never properly developed, and he comes across as a one-dimensional parody of a larval form. The plot is dull and predictable, as is the language. I'm not thrilled by the artwork.

If it weren't for the fact that George W. Bush praised Caterpillar so highly, I'd unhesitatingly call it vacuous, uninspired rubbish. I must be missing something, but what?
Shovelmonkey1
Jul 20, 2011 Shovelmonkey1 rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: big and little kids alike
Recommended to Shovelmonkey1 by: hundreds of kids before me can't be wrong
Recently I have noticed a spate of Goodreaders (you know who you are K.D), poking around looking for their inner child and enjoying a few kids story books. Personally my inner child has been buried under years of bitter, twisted cynicism and the daily need to verbally abuse engineers and construction workers for exhibiting levels of stupidity that a child of Hungry Caterpillar reading age might find ridiculous. However the tiny squeaking cry of my inner child is still loud enough for me to hear...more
Amar Pai
midnightfaerie
Forgot how wonderful this book is. With beautiful illustrations and a story all can understand, it's a favorite for my 5 yr old and my twin 2 yr olds. If you're one of those ppl that use the library often and only keep the special and unique for your own, you'll want to make this one part of your collection.
Stephen
3.0 stars. This is one Children's book that I did not read as a child but it was a favorite of my now five year old daughter and I must have read and enjoyed it a hundred times.
James
Dang you caterpillar... Now Im hungry!

In all seriousness, I loved this book as a child and I have read it to my children many times.
Jimmy
Very differcult read. recommended for advance readers only.
Sara Darr
I remember this book being read to me when I was child and it is still an all-time favourite story of mine. It is suited for EYFS and KS1. The illustrations in this book are so eye catching and vibrant that they really make the story come to life! It is the story of a caterpillar's journey in becoming a butterfly.

Another cross curricular book with limitless activities from writing their own 'The Very Hungry...' book, counting, adding and subtracting, healthy eating, life cycle, symmetry/patterns...more
Nazrul
A good children’s book is full of wonderful and eye catching illustration with a entertaining and humerous storyline. Eric Carle’s book, The Very Hungry Caterpillar has all this and more.

The story is based on a hungry caterpillar who eats his way through the different days of the week (and the pages) enjoying different types of food; from fruits to swiss cheese to chocolate and ice cream, and not surprisingly, the caterpillar ends up with a stomach ache which is then relieved by a green leaf. T...more
Dean Barber
The Very Hungry Caterpillar is a short fiction book based on the life of a new born caterpillar and his appetite and need for food.

The story concludes with the caterpillar eating his way out of his 'small house' or 'cocoon' only for the reader to discover that he is now a 'beautiful butterfly'.

This classic story is perfect for children in the Early Years Foundation Stage or Key Stage One. The bright and vibrant colours alongside the progressive nature of the text engage a young reader and invite...more
Maria
I don't think much needs to be said about this book because I think pretty much everyone has read it. You know it's going to be special as soon as you touch the pages which are heavier than your average paper. From that point on it is virtuosity. The story is succinct, educational (you learn numbers, foods, and about butterfly life cycles), and beautiful. The author bio on the back cover says "His pictures for this book are cut and layered collages... overprinted with ink, crayon, and tempura"....more
D. Pow
This caterpillar really stuffs himself like some corpulent Pagan on his way to the vomitorium. Then the next day he chews one leaf and feels all better. That strikes me as the way it would be. Then he makes a cocoon and comes out a butterfly. On the page where Caterpillar dude eats like Scooby and Shaggy after a spliff toking session there is a picture of a lolly pop. Brendan always points at it and grunts. Brendan has limited though quite blissful experiences with lolly pops. He likes Dum Dum's...more
Alison
An excellent picture book for sharing wityh EYFS children. It can be used for sequencing and prediction skills, and for teaching childre the days of the week.
Ronyell
I remembered always reading “The Very Hungry Caterpillar” when I was small and I have always loved the sweet nature of this book. I still love this book to this very day! “The Very Hungry Caterpillar” is a popular children’s book by Eric Carle and it is about how a very hungry caterpillar starts eating everything in its path. “The Very Hungry Caterpillar” is truly a cute and extraordinary book about food that children will love for many years!

Eric Carle has certainly done a great job at both ill...more
Lucy Townsend
The Very Hungry Caterpillar is a book that I thoroughly enjoyed and loved as a child.
Following the progression of a caterpillar from an egg to a beautifulo butterfly it is a perfect book I think for EYFS and KS1. As the book follows the caterpillar through the days of the week as it eats all different kinds of foods it offers children a chance to not only learn but also interact with the book as there are holes for the children to put their fingers through etc.
Overall a perfect book for enjoym...more
Mehzabin
'The very hungry caterpillar' is an amazing book with eye catching illustrations, which really brings the story to life! The story is about a caterpillar's journey to becoming a butterfly.

This book is suitable for children aged 3-6. it can be used in the classroom to teach addition, subtraction, symmetry, the days of the week, prediction and sequencing and even the butterfly life cycle! This truly is an excellent book, no classroom should be without it!
Kiera Turner
This book is an absolute classic! Every child across all ages loves this book! In my Pre-K classroom I used this book to build comprehension skills, discuss life cycles (for the exception of the cocoon part for butterflies) and explore cause and effect. We also discussed vocabulary such as butterfly, cocoon and butterfly. You could also use this book to discuss healthy foods!
Matt
My friend, who is media specialist, bought this for my daughter for a baby shower gift. Since then, it has become a favorite of our family reading time. I love the message of growing up and changing and realizing that too much of anything can give you a tummy ache. Also, how cool is it that there are holes in the book where the caterpillar has eaten.
Sarah Wilson
**spoiler alert** I loved this book right up until the terrifying surprise twist of an ending: food, counting, days of the week--all things I love....and then...he turns into a butterfly after more than two weeks of solitary confinement. A butterfly!!! I'll have nightmares for weeks.
Charlie
Everytime Im in waterstones I sit on the bean bags in the childrens section and read this book. Deal with it.
UEL Primary PGCE ...: The Very Hungry Caterpillar 1 3 Aug 18, 2014 05:50AM
UEL Primary PGCE ...: Book review 1 1 2 Aug 15, 2014 05:50AM
UEL Primary PGCE ...: Book Review 1 - The Very Hungry Caterpillar 1 5 Aug 14, 2014 09:29AM
UEL Primary PGCE ...: Book Review 4 - The Very Hungry Caterpillar 1 3 Aug 13, 2014 04:36AM
child picture book 14 91 Aug 09, 2014 04:21PM
UEL Primary PGCE ...: My first book review! 1 24 Jul 25, 2014 07:53AM
Just came here randomly,click here 36 100 Jul 11, 2014 08:58AM
  • The Going-To-Bed Book
  • Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear?
  • The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear
  • Oh, the Thinks You Can Think!
  • Peek-a-Who?
  • I Love You Through and Through
  • Each Peach Pear Plum
  • Room on the Broom
  • Dear Zoo: A Lift-the-Flap Book
Eric Carle (born June 25, 1929) is a children's book author and illustrator, most famous for his book The Very Hungry Caterpillar, which has been translated into over 30 languages. Since The Very Hungry Caterpillar was published in 1969, Eric Carle has illustrated more than seventy books, many best sellers, most of which he also wrote, and more than 71 million copies of his books have sold around...more
More about Eric Carle...
The Very Busy Spider The Grouchy Ladybug The Very Quiet Cricket From Head to Toe The Mixed-Up Chameleon

“On Saturday, he ate through one piece of chocolate cake, one ice-cream cone, one pickle, one slice of Swiss cheese, one slice of salami, one lollipop, one piece of cherry pie, one sausage, one cupcake, and one slice of watermelon

That night he had a stomach ache.”
48 likes
“He built a small house, called a cocoon, around himself. He stayed inside for more than two weeks. Then he nibbled a hole in the cocoon, pushed his way out and...

he was a beautiful butterfly!”
18 likes