Stories to Remember

Stories to Remember

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  5 reviews
A collection of stories, including 3 novels: 'The Bridge of San Luis Rey' (novel); 'The Sea of Grass' (novel); 'National Velvet' (novel); 'Judith'; 'The Last Leaf'; 'The Necklace'; and more.

Volume 2 in the series.
Published 1956 by Doubleday/ BCA

Traze
I dare say, a surprisingly interesting collection of short stories. I have only read volume II but given the positive reading experience I've managed to extract from this collection thus far, I think I may try my hand at the first sometime in the future.

Most if not all of the stories here are of a British persuasion I found. And also a good amount of them focus on such human themes as love, family and the like. So if you're into that sort of thing, then I'd at least venture a couple of skims if...more
Barb
Volume II of a 2-Volume anthology. I have read this and its companion volume many times over the years; this anthology was purchased new by my mother in 1956 and was one of the first "adult" books I dipped into as I expanded my childhood reading horizons. I still have these original books, and my whole family, adults & teens, still re-reads and enjoys them. And yes, I remember most, if not all, of the selections with deep fondness!

Looking at this collection 56 years after publication, in 20...more
Barb
I have read this and its companion volume many times over the years; this anthology was purchased new by my mother in 1956 and was one of the first "adult" books I dipped into as I expanded my childhood reading horizons. I still have these original books, and my whole family, adults & teens, still re-read and enjoy them. And yes, I remember most, if not all, of the selections with deep fondness!

Looking at this collection 56 years after publication, in 2012, I would describe it as an interes...more
Kimberly
This was Vol II in the series. It's a good way to get acquainted with a few writers from the early 20th Century. I must admit I skimmed a few of the stories, although overall it was worth the read.
Sskous
just loving short stories right now. this is a wonderful collection. finished and sorry to see it end.
☯Bettie☯
Scott
Scott added it
Apr 25, 2014
Cinisajoy
Cinisajoy marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
Glen C
Glen C marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2013
Lana
Lana marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2013
Robert Schneider
Robert Schneider marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2013
Robert Schneider
Robert Schneider marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Costain was born in Brantford, Ontario to John Herbert Costain and Mary Schultz. He attended high school there at the Brantford Collegiate Institute. Before graduating from high school he had written four novels, one of which was a 70,000 word romance about Maurice of Nassau, Prince of Orange. These early novels were rejected by publishers.

His first writing success came in 1902 when the Brantford...more
More about Thomas B. Costain...
The Silver Chalice The Black Rose The Last Plantagenets (The Plantagenets, #4) The Conquering Family (The Plantagenets, #1) The Three Edwards (The Plantagenets, #3)