Looking Forward

Looking Forward (Chadwick Family #1)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  12 reviews
When Felicia, Sam and Susanna's parents and older brother are killed in Kenya, the three children are sent to their grandmother Frederica "Freddy" Chadwick in Devon.

Freddy has experienced a lot of sadness and pain in her life, and she would be helpless without her two devoted servants, Ellen and Fox, who also help and support her in this difficult time. Freddy's brother-in...more
Published (first published December 3rd 1998)

Carol
May 27, 2011 Carol rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
I don't know what it is about Marcia Willett books...it could be the proper manners of the British, could be all the tea drinking and scones, could be the gorgeous descriptions of the gardens and the coast. Whatever it is, she is a great story teller. This is the first book of a 3 book series and I am looking forward to the next piece of the Chadwick Family Chronicles!
Maria M. Elmvang
Marcia Willett has been compared to Rosamunde Pilcher, and with good reason. This first book in the Chadwick saga reads a lot like what I've come to expect from RP's books. And that's a good thing :) It was rather slow-moving, but not in a way that made it boring, but just to emphasise the atmosphere of the book as being relaxed and unpretentious. It's the first in a trilogy (I think) and I'm looking forward to reading the other two, as you really get to love the family.
Carolynne
I've enjoyed all that I have read of Marcia Willett's books, but this trilogy is possibly my favorite group. I like how the characters interconnect with others in other novels (rather like Maeve Binchy), which reveals different aspects of the characters.
Carolyn Hill
Three and a half stars, really. When I'm in the mood for a retreat to the English countryside with likeable characters, I check to see if there's a Marcia Willett book I haven't read. Turns out there was a series, The Chadwick Family Chronicles, which was published in the UK, but not the US. So, I ordered copies for a dollar off the internet. This is the first in the series. The period of this section of the saga is primarily the 1960's, so the children in the book are roughly contemporaries of...more
Linda
The first of the Chadwick Family Chronicles, life at The Keep changes forever when Fliss, Mole and Susanna arrive from Kenya the summer of 1957. Their parents and brother Jaimie have been savagely killed in Kenya, so they are shipped home to their Grandmother Freddy in Devon, England. Freddie has lost so many, her husband and her twin sons. When the three young children arrive at The Keep, Freddie soon realizes that she and her two helpers Ellen and Fox all more than middle aged do not have the...more
Debi DeBacco
This is the first of three books about the saga of the Chadwick family set in England during the 60's and early 70's. It is an easy read but certainly kept my attention. Marcia Willet is a good storyteller who develops her characters through the years. The reader will celebrate their accomplishments and feel their pain. I also enjoyed her descriptions of the English countryside. After reading the book, I have a picture in my head of The Keep in Devon which is the Chadwick family home.

Kathryn Bashaar
This was an easy, pleasant read with appealing characters. My complaint is that the really interesting thing - a grisly, brutal murder - happens "off stage" and the story is about the healing of the surviving children. The book was just a little too light and gentle for me, not the sort of thing I usually read. But it was a nice diversion, and I will read the next two books in the series.
Sue
This is a lovely book, first in the Chadwick Family trilogy. It begins with tragedy, then follows the lives of three children and their relatives. Not quite as good as Rosamunde Pilcher, but well-written, nicely plotted, and some very moving moments. Enjoyable.
Julie
This is the first in a series of four about the Chadwick family. I actually read number 4 first, not knowing it was part of a series. I loved it so much that I had to start at the beginning. Very well written and I feel I know the characters. A great beach read!
CLM
Oh my goodness, was Willett channeling Elswyth Thane's Yankee Stranger when she wrote this? I sense that bad things are going to happen to my favorite character, Fliss.
Teresa Edwards
Just a nice, well-told story about a family and their struggles and triumphs. My first Marcia Willett, but definitely not my last.
Deborah Sigel
Part of a great Trilogy!
Peggy
Peggy marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Amanda Berman
Amanda Berman marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Peter
Peter added it
Jul 09, 2014
Andrew
Andrew added it
May 16, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Teresa Da
Teresa Da marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Marcia Willett began her career as a novelist when she was fifty years old. Since that first novel Marcia has written twenty more under her own name as well as a number of short stories. She has also written four books under the pseudonym "Willa Marsh", and is published in more than sixteen countries.

Marcia Willett's early life was devoted to the ballet, but her dreams of becoming a ballerina end...more
More about Marcia Willett...
A Week in Winter A Summer in the Country The Children's Hour The Summer House The Birdcage: A Novel