Start by marking “Discipline” as Want to Read:
Discipline

Discipline

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  184 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Douglas Cole is being hunted - and protected - but he doesn't know it. His life has been shattered by inexplicable tragedy, his mind haunted by ominous visions, and yet the more he questions the horrifying events plaguing him, the more elusive the answers become.
Published July 1st 2007 by Greenleaf Book Group

To ask other readers questions about Discipline, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Discipline

Theresa Leone Davidson
Dear Mr. Ahlgren,
Readers always appreciate when authors attempt to tell you, in an arrogant, needling fashion, the meaning of life, especially in some convoluted mess of a story, and at the end even supply a recommended reading list, although, like myself, most of the titles we've already read. Nevertheless, your superiority runs through this long, tedious novel, one in which only the first 50 or so pages seems authentic or, for that matter, well written. One can't even characterize the story:
Joan
Mar 23, 2009 Joan rated it liked it
Intriguing tidbits on quantum physics, Heisenberg’s Uncertainty Principle, leading to Hugh Everett’s Many Worlds Theory and David Deutsch’s Parallel Universes gave me the idea early on that this book would be pretty far out, and yet have some substance. This is an “Advance Reader’s Edition” – actually got it free when I bought a couple of books at the Erie Bookstore, and it was in need of some editing. The plot gets a kick start with a very weird horror scene, which might be enough to discourage ...more
Chris
Jul 05, 2013 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I met Paco Ahlgren in a Borders when he ran through the aisles passing out copies of his first book, Discipline. He said something like, 'Hey, I wrote this book. Check it out and I'll sign it for you if you're interested in reading it - no pressure.' I had never personally met someone at a book signing and, it being his first book, I thought it might be tough for him when there's not too many people at his table. In any case, I turned right to the copyright page to see under which categories thi ...more
Zoe Rider
Feb 08, 2008 Zoe Rider rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: teenagers who are easily awed by metaphysical stuff
Shelves: didnt-finish
After reading the excerpt and seeing the 48 5-star reviews on Amazon, I was excited to get this book and start in on it. The opening is vivid and visceral--it's the excerpt I read. (The jacket copy is likewise excellent, by the way.) Beyond the opening, there are some engaging scenes--family stuff involving the main character (Douglas), his dad, and his little brother, and sometimes friend-of-the-family Jack. In between and around those scenes was a lot of stuff that made me roll my eyes, or wis ...more
Nov 19, 2014 Laura rated it it was ok
Many of the reviews capture the book's shortcomings. The premise is interesting enough, but the story gets bogged down in explanations, descriptions, and events, failing to to move the plot forward at a decent pace. The author also leaves several several loose ends--not in the intriguing way that keeps you thinking about the book long after you've finished but more in the "What? How did he write 400 pages and still not resolve that" kind of a way.
Arlo
Jan 11, 2009 Arlo rated it it was amazing
Discipline is a great book on many levels, and very relevant to what is going on in the world today. Paco Ahlgren gently uses a couple of key concepts from quantum physics and a deep understanding of economics to build a story of global economic crisis and survival, weaving it into a tale that is exciting, mysterious, and fun to read.

The social climate of the story feels just like home, and if you're a sucker for a new scientific angle, the way Ahlgren uses quantum physics to further the story a
Megan
May 28, 2009 Megan rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Very interesting and intriguing concepts spanning eastern philosophy, economics, politics, and physics, basically all the lenses through which we view the world. Therein lies the inherent problem of this book, it's simply trying to do too much. You can feel the author trying in each word. I prefer not to be beaten over the head with concepts, but instead to let them flow naturally. Ironically this is one of the things this book tries to make us change about the way we look at the world, it's try ...more
Oct 12, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Meh, it was way too narrate-y (for lack of better term). This happened and then that happened and then that happened. Descriptions were a bit too straightforward rather than made with subtle impressions. There wasn't much of a weave, which I'm partial to in my fiction.

Truth be told, I didn't make it all the way through the book. I probably read 1/2 - 2/3. There was a time when I would see any book I started through to the end, but I've lately come to the conclusion that time is too precious to
Ian Drew Forsyth
Jan 06, 2015 Ian Drew Forsyth rated it did not like it
It started out promising (with that hooky sort of commercial fiction style) because of the ideas I assumed would be explored: quantum mechanics, parallel universes, etc. through fictional characters.
But then it just devolved into bullshit about finance and currency that seems to be heavily influenced by warren buffet and libertarian philosophy etc
I thought it might go somewhere interesting but in the end it just wasted that, guess i could expect that somewhere halfway through the book
Liviu
Aug 27, 2008 Liviu rated it really liked it
Shelves: genre-sf
Very interesting read and quite absorbing but the sfnal content is over-familiar and the big final twist is obvious many pages before the end to any seasoned sf reader. Since a lot of the impact of the novel depends on that final twist, Discipline falls a bit short from what it could have been.

I would have liked to read this book 1000 sf novels earlier since then I would have probably been bowled over by it, but even so its emotional impact is powerful to make it a worthwile read.
Jesiah
Aug 08, 2012 Jesiah rated it it was amazing
This book is currently holding it's place as my favorite book. It brings many different concepts together to create it's own unique universe where parallel universes, the modern day economy and drug abuse seamlessly intertwine to create one of the best stories I've had the pleasure of reading through. Pay particular attention to the first three to four chapters though because they come back countless times throughout the rest of the story.
Darrendriven
Aug 27, 2012 Darrendriven rated it it was amazing
It wasn't quite what I was expecting, and it seemed to transmogrify from a very personal individual account for most of the book into a more global story near the end. Started REALLY strong and I couldn't put the book down, but I felt that the author lost steam as the last few chapters closed. Still a great book, though, and anyone that enjoys time travel stories in a more realistic setting would enjoy this.
Topher
Nov 22, 2008 Topher rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Not entirely sure what shelf to file this under - a bit of magical realism, a la the south american novelists, but with a focus on tao and economics.

I'm a little surprised at how well those two went together. And, I really had to read any book that included a 'suggested reading' section at the end with both "the tao of physics" and the complete works of Benjamin Graham.

Pretty good book.
oiyio
Nov 03, 2013 oiyio rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is my top favorite book. The story is very good and fluent. I read it 5 years ago and its effects on me is still keep going. I remember the main events and that doesn't go off from my imagination. The images from the dream while i made reading is still keep going. It's so good. If the style of the author doesn't change , i continue to read his books tirelessly.
Christine Bowles
Mar 03, 2012 Christine Bowles rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book alot. I loved the way everything falls into place but the reader doesn't see most of it until it is too late. Bits of the ending caused debate between my hsband and I, but figuring out who was right made us like the book even more.

If you like mind benders I highly recommend this book.
Kirsten
Oct 11, 2007 Kirsten rated it really liked it
I'm not sure how I feel about this book, but I interviewed the author this morning and he is SO COOL! I wish he lived here. I'd like to be his friend. Oh, and he's working on a sequel.
Mary Quast
May 11, 2009 Mary Quast rated it it was amazing
Fusing philosophical passion with electrifying suspense, this book really pushes the perception of reality. Blunt, gritty, a bit freaky but totally awesome!
Kasia
Oct 13, 2011 Kasia rated it it was amazing
fantastic novel, deep and thought through story with great philosophical and business thoughts, mind opening :)
stori .
Jul 17, 2007 stori . rated it it was ok
paco is a friend of mine therefore i figure i should read his first book.
Stephanie
Jan 23, 2008 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
One of my most recent favs, and an Austin author no less!

dragynlady
May 12, 2008 dragynlady rated it it was ok
eh...it was okay. a somewhat self indulgent effort by the author
Selin Karaca
Mar 24, 2013 Selin Karaca rated it it was amazing
Süper
Jarro06
Jarro06 rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Joanna
Joanna rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2016
Alyssa
Alyssa added it
Jan 13, 2016
Susan
Susan added it
Jan 09, 2016
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Seher
Seher added it
Jan 02, 2016
Sean Makiney
Sean Makiney rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2015
  • BLACKBOX: A Novel in 840 Chapters
  • Quick Silver
  • Sister Emily's Lightship and Other Stories
  • More Matrix and Philosophy: Revolutions and Reloaded Decoded
  • Damnable
  • Kings of Albion
  • Heath: A Family's Tale
  • The Philosopher at the End of the Universe: Philosophy Explained Through Science Fiction Films
  • Not the End of the World
  • Quietus
  • Father Knows Less Or: "Can I Cook My Sister?": One Dad's Quest to Answer His Son's Most Baffling Questions
  • Abandon Ship!: The Saga of the U.S.S. Indianapolis, the Navy's Greatest Sea Disaster
  • Your Child's Strengths: Discover Them, Develop Them, Use Them
  • The Letter of the Law (Casey Jordan, #1)
  • Every Sigh, the End