Start by marking “Sos the Rope (Battle Circle, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sos the Rope (Battle Circle, #1)

Sos the Rope (Battle Circle #1)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  606 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Earth's demon. They call him Sos - a man mightier in strength and spirit than the greatest warriors of post-Blast legend. His past is shrouded in enigma, but now he wanders the earth, writing a heritage in blood and bravery.
To some, he is savior; to others, agent of cataclysm. One man alone bears the terrible curse of his friendship. Two mortal women share his doom-driven
Published September 28th 1970 by Faber and Faber (first published October 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Sos the Rope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sos the Rope

Dan Schwent
Sos joins up with Sol of all weapons and helps him build an empire. But what will happen when Sos challenges Sol in the Battle Circle for his woman and the child she carries?

Planet Stories has dug up an odd story in this offering, Sos the Rope. Fantasy with a post-apocalyptic vibe has long been a favorite sub-genre of mine and this is one of the better ones.

After the Blast, the earth is populated by nomadic warriors and the crazies, men and women who study the ancient ways. Matters among the nom
Jim
This is the first in one of the strangest trilogies I've ever read. I don't know why I like it so much & it probably doesn't deserve 4 stars, but there is a quirky charm to it.

Set in an odd, post apocalyptic world, fighting duels in a circle is the road to dominance in the society. What lengths a man will go to for victory & what the costs are is the basic theme.

When originally published, the second book, 'Var the Stick' (people are named for their weapons, which are codified.) was the o
Daniel
In "Sos the Rope," Piers Anthony mixes together the martial arts; arena combat; a far-future society of illiterates and nomads; bio-engineering; and cybernetics. His story is about a man who fights in these arenas, and wants to be the best fighter on his planet.

I was sold at the first whiff of hand-to-hand combat. Anthony shows good talent for describing the action in the arena, employing just enough detail so that the fights can be followed and the pacing is quick and exciting. Describing comba
Joe
John
This very early Piers Anthony novel (and the first of a trilogy) is planted firmly on the sci-fi end of his work, albeit as a tale of a future dystopia. Thus, "Sos the Rope" avoids the supernatural trappings which, for me as a reader, are generally the bane of what I consider Anthony's weaker work. I enjoy Piers Anthony immensely as a sci-fi author, considerably less so as a writer of fantasy.

"Sos" is a concise, tightly-paced, action-filled novel which held my interest from beginning to end. Thi
David Sarkies
This appears to be one of Anthony's earlier books set in a post-apocalyptic world where society has reverted to pre-historic hunter gatherers. The book itself is about a warrior whose primary weapon is a rope and combat is dealt with in what is called a battle circle. It has been a long time since I actually read this book, but I remember when I did it was a rather short book with a not too interesting plot.
Let us have a look at a bit of context here though. The year is 1968 (the Summer of Lov
Daniel R.
Sos the Rope is a science fantasy novel, originally published in 1968. Essentially, it is a post apocalyptic tale wherein a group of nomadic warriors duke it out in a Battle Circle, fighting for honor, name, tribal affiliation, and nookie. Beyond these warrior types, there is a group called The Crazies, who are dedicated to preserving the pre-Blast world tech and helping out their brother man.

Enter the man called Sos, who is a warrior with a Crazy education. He aligns with Sol to found an empire
Thomas
I make it a habit not to be ashamed of the stuff I read. For me, the ultimate goal is the story, which is why I can still appreciate authors like Dan Brown, Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child, or Steve Alten. So I’m not embarrassed to say that I re-read a Piers Anthony book. When I was younger, I devoured his books, but now, as an adult, I find him to be a little too juvenile for my tastes. But I also turned forty this year, and I expect that the nostalgia kicked in and inspired me to pick up Sos ...more
Mathew
Again if you like a good 'end of the world' story this is a pretty good example. Set several hundred or maybe thousand years after a nuclear war (sorry I read it a long time ago) the land is slowly starting to recover. Sos The Rope and his leader camp out in the half mutated landscape in order to find and train an army. From what I can remember, most people fight for a living and they do it in a circle drawn on the ground. Mostly they live a primitive existence, but there are some beings (robots ...more
Timothy Boyd
Interesting SiFi story. After the last war people now decide issues in the battle circle. Recommended
Thomas
I've read only 10 books by Piers Anthony. These three are my favorite.
Tim Robichaux
I read this book, years ago, and just recently picked it up for a quick re-read. It's quite short, and was easy to run through in an evening, and still enjoyable. It was amazing to me, however, how much I added to the story in my mind over the years.
Sonja Trbojevic
I read this book, and the other 2 in the trilogy, in the early 70's, and loved them all!
William Neil
Read this about 20 years ago, still remember it fondly!
Chris
This is a fun read, good campy adventure novel.
AndrewP
Book 1 of Battle Circle Trilogy
Brainx
Brainx marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Mark
Mark added it
Dec 22, 2014
  • The Avatar
  • On the Other Side (Tales of Valdemar)
  • The Mystic Saga Omnibus (Books 1 - 5)
  • Contacting Aliens: An Illustrated Guide to David Brin's Uplift Universe (The Uplift Saga)
  • Back to the Moon
  • Kidnapped
  • A Fish Dinner in Memison
  • The Black Corridor
  • A Separate War and Other Stories
  • House of Steel: The Honorverse Companion
  • 2184
  • Seven Point Eight: The First Chronicle (7.8 #1)
  • Dark Integers and Other Stories
  • Trigger & Friends
  • Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban (Film)
  • The Stories: Five Years of Original Fiction on Tor.com
  • A Private Cosmos (World of Tiers #3)
  • Pirates of the Thunder (Rings of the Master, #2)

Piers is a self-proclaimed environm
More about Piers Anthony...
On a Pale Horse (Incarnations of Immortality, #1) A Spell for Chameleon (Xanth, #1) Castle Roogna (Xanth, #3) Bearing An Hourglass (Incarnations of Immortality, #2) The Source of Magic (Xanth, #2)