Start by marking “Walking Dead” as Want to Read:
Walking Dead

Walking Dead (Atticus Kodiak #7)

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  571 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
BONUS: This edition contains an excerpt from Greg Rucka’s The Last Run.

Atticus Kodiak knows where people go to hide. That’s why he and Alena Cizkova have come to a secluded Georgian town in the former U.S.S.R. What he doesn’t know is what his friend and neighbor Bakhar Lagidze was hiding from. Bakhar and his entire family have been viciously murdered—all except for Lagidze
Published April 28th 2009 by Bantam (first published January 1st 2009)

Jake
Jun 10, 2009 Jake rated it liked it
I used to love the Atticus Kodiak books back when they were about a struggling band of NYC bodyguards. They were tense, funny and sorta relatable.

Since Rucka killed off 90% of the cast and Kodiak became Jason Bourne, they're not so relatable. Atticus has turned from an indecisive amateur who cry-fucks his dead best friend's woman into a globe-trotting ace assassin who can take down a room full of armed Russkies without working up a sweat. Oh yeah, he also turns down hot-ass escorts looking to h
Michael
May 10, 2012 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Rucka does his research, and that's one of the things that gives his Atticus Kodiak books such appeal for me. Whether he's explaining how ricochet trajectories work (bullets behave weirdly) or, as in this book, detailing the horrors of the current trade in human beings (often for sex, but other kinds of slavery as well), he delivers the data with a swift authority that never yitches up the telling of his story. Which is to say: He's good and underappreciated. Clearly not everyone's cup of tea, b ...more
Donovan
Dec 19, 2010 Donovan rated it it was amazing
Susan
Jul 16, 2010 Susan added it
This is my first time w/this author and I am totally intrigued by the characters and the story. It's obvious that I am coming in after a few books as the relationship between the hero and his girlfriend are already established.
Two people, one American and one Russian are living deep undercover in Georgia near a Black Sea resort. One of their neighbors and his family are brutally murdered and their 14 y/o daughter is raped and kidnapped. The hero is compelled to find and save her. Lots of bad gu
Vivienne Neal
May 17, 2015 Vivienne Neal rated it it was amazing
A Great Roller Coaster Read

Protagonist Atticus Kodiak is an ex-bodyguard with a past. When his next door neighbors are slaughtered, except for their daughter, and the crime is classified as a murder/suicide, the plot evolves into a page-turning, cat and mouse crime story with scheming and vile characters, a crooked detective, secrets and lies, and shocking revelations. What makes the story so intriguing is that the setting begins in a little town, in Eastern Europe, where characters go to remain
Ed
Jan 01, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it
#7 in the Atticus Kodiak series. Finalist 2010 Barry Award for Best Thriller. Years ago, I read the first few novels in this series and remember Kodiak as a professional bodyguard. Having skipped over a decade and a number of series entries, I have no idea what life path Kodiak followed to arrive in ex-Soviet Georgia. The series feels like a new one, but it was exciting.

Atticus Kodiak is living with Elena under assumed names in ex-Soviet Georgia. When neighbor Bakhar Lagidze is slaughtered, with
Jeffrey
I enjoyed Walking Dead on some levels. It is fast paced and relatively well-written. The protagonist, Atticus Kodiak, is a more socialized version of Lee Child's Jack Reacher: man of action and white knight rescuing those in distress. Kodiak also has a darker past than Reacher. All in all this is a good thriller. However, the plot centered around rescuing a girl taken by a human trafficking ring. That is too dark of a place for me to truly enjoy reading about even when the bad guys are brought t ...more
Alita
Jul 19, 2015 Alita rated it really liked it
I have not read anything by Rucka before so this was my first exposure to Atticus. I bought it on Book Bub because it was $1.99 and sounded interesting. I got way more than my money's worth! I did not know this was part of a series so I had no backstory on these characters and no preconception of what to expect. It is well-researched, fast-paced and engrossing. I whipped right through it -- what was going to happen next? Would "David" find Tiasa? I don't put spoilers in my reviews. If you like a ...more
Micah
Apr 27, 2016 Micah rated it it was ok
There's a lack of stakes here that feels boring, and a comfort that feels like pandering, and a self-righteousness that feels so so so middle-aged and white and college-educated-financially-secure-safe.

You know how I don't like my violence novels? Fucking safe.

Like, okay, look, we know you live in Portland. We know. You have a Tumblr? Really? We know. Human traffickers are sucky people. Whores have hearts of gold. The UAE: morally problematic? We know all this. Please, kill somebody already...

Th
Toni Osborne
Sep 05, 2011 Toni Osborne rated it it was amazing
Book 7, featuring Atticus Kodiak

This series and author is new to me, I realize starting with the 7th instalment is not ideal but with "Walking Dead" I was quickly hooked. Although it may have been most helpful to have read the previous books, I immediately felt comfortable in the story and found it could easily stand by its own.

Written in the first person in a clear and concise prose the story grabs the attention from the start with its action, timely plot and stone cold protagonists that have
Ensiform
Apr 29, 2012 Ensiform rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
The latest Atticus Kodiak book opens some years after the first, with the bodyguard-turned-solo commando living apparently at peace with his lover, the assassin Alena, in the Republic of Georgia. When their neighbor’s family is brutally killed and their daughter sold into slavery, Atticus is drawn, despite himself, to find her. From Tbilisi to Turkey to Abu Dhabi to Amsterdam to Las Vegas, he questions and kills those who have seen the girl, learning far more than he ever wanted to about the glo ...more
Michael
Aug 25, 2009 Michael rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Action fans, Mystery fans, thriller fans
Recommended to Michael by: I enjoy the author
Atticus Kodiak is a former bodyguard and an international fugutive. He and Alena Cizkova are hiding in Kobuleti, a Georgian town in the former U.S.S.R.
One night, his neighbor Bahkar Lagidze, wife and son are murdered. The killers take Bakhar's 14 year old daughter.

Atticus, using the alias, David Mercer, tells the police chief that he's going to find Bakhar's daughter. The chief of police tell him that they are classifying the case as if Bakhar killed his own family and won't be investigating.

At
Jasper
Apr 26, 2013 Jasper rated it liked it
as always, Greg Rucka's brand of storytelling is gripping, gritty and compelling, and it's because of how well it's written that i must mention how tough it was to get through the book.
being the seventh in the Atticus Kodiak series, i can only recommend this to those familiar with the character and the world--frighteningly similar to ours--that he lives in [BUT if you enjoy thrillers that are well-paced and character driven, i highly recommend trying the first book in the series, 'Keeper']. even
Sherry
Jun 07, 2009 Sherry rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009-reads
John Watt
Nov 14, 2013 John Watt rated it it was amazing
Greg Rucka is probably one of America's best writers, although mostly somewhat unknown outside of the comic book world, where he has had very successful runs on Batman, Queen and Country, and several others titles.One of the things I like best about Rucka is that he does not soften what could possibly happen; the protagonist does not always come away unscathed, and while he usually is successful in the end there is definitely some reality checks to deal with.

***Potential spoiler alert***
This boo
Lloyd
May 09, 2009 Lloyd rated it liked it
While still a fast-paced and fun read, this one kind of fell a little flat for me as far as an Atticus Kodiak book goes. It was like jumping on a rocket-sled heading for a brick wall. Maybe it's from reading too many Andrew Vachss books that deal with similar subject matter in the past, I'm not sure. It was a well-written book but just seemed to be missing something for me. It's like it didn't quite go anywhere in character development and plot, and the ending just seemed rather anti-climactic a ...more
Pat Urban
Jan 01, 2015 Pat Urban rated it really liked it
This series started as a sort of body-guard-procedure manual, but the author has developed it into a complex world, albeit a violent one.
Nancy
Sep 02, 2015 Nancy rated it liked it
To tell the truth, when I checked this book out of the library, I thought I was checking out a book about zombies - thought it was the first in the Walking Dead series. I spent the first 5 chapters wondering when the event would occur that created the zombies.....
Well, it had nothing to do with zombies but was an interesting read.
João Martins
Oct 29, 2013 João Martins rated it really liked it
"Walking Dead" foi uma óptima introdução à obra de Greg Rucka, só lamento não ter prestado atenção e não ter começado a ler esta série do início e não a partir do SÉTIMO volume como fiz. Não que isso comprometesse a compreensão da história ou dos personagens, nada disso, mas caramba!, uma coisa é começar pelo segundo ou pelo terceiro, outra coisa é começar pelo sétimo.

A história tem tanto de inquietante como de excitante, com personagens muito bem desenvolvidos. Uma nota especial para as descriç
Shannon Appelcline
Apr 01, 2013 Shannon Appelcline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Though I'm going to mark this post with my 'mystery' tag, Walking Dead is a really a thriller (as is generally the case for the Kodiak books). I don't read a lot of these but Rucka's are quite good, because he's continually grown the series and evolved the hero over time. This time around, despite being in a really morally questionable situation, Kodiak pretty much acts the hero, going after the daughter of a friend when she's taken.

It's a really good book, as is this entire series (though the f
Steph Bader
Sep 13, 2013 Steph Bader rated it it was ok
First exposure to this author - blind pick off the library shelf for a road trip. I took it because I thought it was a mystery set in Georgia (country not state), which would be new to me. Turns out to start in Georgia, and has a Georgian main character, but it is mostly a chase across multiple countries in pursuit of a girl being sold into the sex slave trade, with much detail. I found the plot to be minimally interesting while the details of the international slave trade were (imho) endlessly ...more
Bill Umlauf
Apr 28, 2014 Bill Umlauf rated it liked it
OK story, a quick read, held my interest.
Ann
Jul 26, 2009 Ann rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2009
It was very good to see Atticus again.
Greg Rucka said the research for this book was painful; it was painful to read about too. The trafficing in young girls, girls of any age,sold into sexual slavery is a shameful thing, and while very hard to read about, needs to be exposed and stopped. Atticus and Alena may be the kind of people who can kill when needed with impunity, but their moral core is intact and the lengths they will go to stay safe and to protect others are long indeed.
Alex
Jan 08, 2011 Alex rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, series
This was the first book I read on my phone! Mostly during commutes by train and it really worked. I wondered if I could manage but the fast action and quick pace kept me tapping (turning the pages).
I've read all the Kodiak novels and enjoyed the earlier premise of the bodyguard more. This is more like a comic book or action movie. I like that too. Now I've gone on to read several otter e-books and am getting used to the medium.
There's only one first time. Thanks Mr. Rucka

Anca
Jun 06, 2013 Anca rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I think I might be biased, but I loved this book, probably because it was my first audiobook that I borrowed from the library and I thought that the actor who read it was amazing. I downloaded a second book and I was somehow expecting the same voice... Disappointment.
Good pace of the book, great characters, I really liked David Mercer, or Atticus, or whatever his name is these days. The story was troubling, but very much possible these days, unfortunately. A good "read".
Robert Dunn
Jan 04, 2016 Robert Dunn rated it really liked it
Unfortunately this is the last Atticus Kodiak story. I have enjoyed them all. This one and Shooting at Midnight dealt with tough subjects. The business of selling very young girls into the sex trade is shown to what it is ...big business. The girls are just a commodity. In this story one girl out of millions is rescued. Rucka writes good stories. Its difficult to say which character I liked the best, Kodiak, Tara Chase or Jed Bell. Keep them coming Greg.
Steve
Jul 06, 2009 Steve rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
I need to start with this: I read fluff. Escape from real world stuff is why I read.

Greg Rucka does a great job writing fluff, but he also sneaks in worldly issues (in this case, sex-slave trading) in a way that I can both understand and not mind in the middle of my escape reading.

A disturbing read at times, the main character's reaction to what's going on made me continue wanting to read. Not a fun book, but a good read. I couldn't put it down...
Andrew Carter
Feb 02, 2016 Andrew Carter rated it really liked it
Difficult subject but with strong characters. Not too hot on stories laid in eastern Europe...names too difficult.
Larry
Sep 05, 2011 Larry rated it it was amazing
The Atticus Kodiak books have held my attention since the publication of "Keeper." Kodiak was a professional bodyguard (head of a team). Now he's on the run with his Russian hit-woman mate. He remains believable throughout the novels, even the couple of weaker ones. A couple of his former friends (and occasional comrades) refuse to accept the transitions he's made, especially Bridget, but they make more sense as the series progresses.
Alison Dellit
May 05, 2012 Alison Dellit rated it really liked it
Shelves: spy, fiction
Best Atticus book in a while. The horror of sex slavery and exploitation hang heavy over the book, providing a gravitas which gives some urgency to the usual race across the globe, thinking up clever ways to extort information from bad people; and improvising innovative medicine on the go. As usual, Rucka papers beautifully over plot holes by making his leads slightly opaque, leading the reader to always assume there is a good reason.
  • Camouflage (Nameless Detective, #35)
  • Going Dark (Thorn, #13)
  • Flashfire (Parker, #19)
  • Cold Shot to the Heart (Crissa Stone, #1)
  • Where the Dead Lay (Frank Behr, #2)
  • Levon's Trade (Levon Cade, #1)
  • Asphyxia
  • Keller in Dallas
  • Hell & Gone (Charlie Hardie, #2)
  • Skinner
  • No Justice: A Michael Sykora Novel
  • Aftershock: A Thriller (Aftershock, #1)
  • Blood of the Immortal (Blood #1)
  • The Renegades (Charlie Hood, #2)
  • Hidden Moon (Inspector O, #2)
Greg Rucka, is an American comic book writer and novelist, known for his work on such comics as Action Comics, Batwoman: Detective Comics, and the miniseries Superman: World of New Krypton for DC Comics, and for novels such as his Queen & Country series.
More about Greg Rucka...

Atticus Kodiak (7 books)
  • Keeper
  • Finder
  • Smoker
  • Shooting at Midnight
  • Critical Space
  • Patriot Acts (Atticus Kodiak, #6)

“Knife fights are something that happen between the Sharks and the Jets, that's it. Everywhere else, it's not a fight, it's just someone trying to goddam kill you.” 10 likes