Start by marking “Why Don't Your Eyelashes Grow?: Curious Questions Kids Ask About the Human Body” as Want to Read:
Why Don't Your Eyelashes Grow?: Curious Questions Kids Ask About the Human Body

Why Don't Your Eyelashes Grow?: Curious Questions Kids Ask About the Human Body

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Read Beth Ann Ditkoff's posts on the Penguin Blog.

Ever wondered what that small dewdrop thing is in the back of your throat? Or why you hiccup? Why Don’t Your Eyelashes Grow? addresses every weird question about your body that you could think of—or didn’t even think to ask. Prompted by the brain stumpers her own children and patients have asked her over the years, Dr. Beth
Published October 2nd 2008 by Avery (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Why Don't Your Eyelashes Grow?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Don't Your Eyelashes Grow?

me.lita
“Buku ini menyelamatkan orangtua dari mengarang-ngarang jawaban terhadap pertanyaan anak-anak yang tidak terduga tentang keajaiban tubuh manusia” – Dr.Oz

Hmm.. ada benarnya juga sih. Dulu waktu aku kecil, aku pernah bertanya kepada orangtuaku tentang hal-hal seperti: “orang yang punya tahi lalat itu dulunya pernah di pup-in lalat ya Ma?”, biasanya orangtuaku menjawab diplomatis “di majalah bobo ada nggak penjelasannya?” atau “besok kalau masuk sekolah, tanya sama bu guru ya”. Hadeuuhh.. aku kan b
Jack Kirby and the X-man
Yes, sometimes scientific explanations for the layperson are so simplified they become wrong. But surely this simplification process should at the very least result in an answer the question...
An example of this is the answer to the question "Why does your blood look blue when it is in your body?" obviously referring to the blue veins that are visible (most familiarly on your wrist). So the answer (paraphrased): So you know blood is red, right. Well oxygenated blood in your arteries is bright re
Philip
Why Don't Your Eyelashes Grow? is a good book for trivia buffs and those who want quick answers.

The front of the book purports, "This accessible book will save parents the embarrasment of making up mediocre answers to often sophisticated questions children ask... - Mehmet C. Oz M.D." That is true, but only for the much older child. I believe younger kids would become bored or confused by the medical terminology, anatomy, and specific bio-mechanics of the body. Although, as a parent who's read it
Carol
I received this book as a Goodreads giveaway. Quite frankly, I think I must have intended to request a different book, and in haste, checked off the wrong one. That said, I felt obligated to write a review since I did read it and feel this fulfills the real purpose of the giveaways. Two disclaimers: (1) I don't (and never will) have children, so I am not the target audience intended for this book. (2) All through school, I was enamored with literature and hated more practical classes such as mat ...more
Xin Lin
It is a simple Question and Answer book that deals with mostly random biological questions we wondered as kids. I guess what's special about this book is that the author, who happens to also be a doctor, got her two young daughters to prepare all the questions in this book and she wrote the answers. While the question and answers may seem a tad too elementary for some, it is a sure way to refresh random pieces of knowledge in your head.
melydia
Dec 20, 2008 melydia rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to melydia by: goodreads
This is a collection of questions and answers geared towards parents answering their children's queries about their bodies. No, it's not about puberty. It's about all the other little stuff: why do we have boogers, what are moles, etc. I knew most of the answers already, though I recognized several misconceptions I held as a child. I can see this being a useful book to have in the house. Unfortunately, I am a touch leery about the credibility of the information. Yes, the author is a doctor, but ...more
Kiwi
Acquiring this from a goodreads giveaway, I'm pretty satisfied with my win. The author and her children compiled a collection of questions frequently asked by kids and answers given in a simple manner. It cracked the truth to urban myths such as sitting too close to the TV will damage your eyes and so on and so forth. While it's a resourceful book, explaining the questions asked by your children in a scientific way might further confuse them instead of solving their questions. I don't usually re ...more
North Olmsted Library
This was an interesting book, but not the greatest format. It was full of questions asked by kids and answered by a doctor. It seems like parents are meant to read it with their children. It was supposed to answer the great mysteries of the human body to children. The questions posed were cute, but the answers were sometimes vague and averted a straight answer. The author kept promoting a healthy lifestyle by saying "exercise and eat smart". This is all well and good, but answer the question!
SJO
Kendra saunders
I have three young boys and I expected this to be a good read to help with all those strange and often chalenging questions they ask but I was unfortunately dissapointed. The book has a lot of really great questions but the answers often fall short, I found that instead of answering the questions it tends to explain certain aspects then forgets to actually answer it. the book is light and easy to read but if you want answers for your children then this is not the book.
Wayne
Interesting, and does what it says -- it provides answers to lots of questions about our bodies.

However, there were plenty of questions that either weren't answered or were partially answered. Each question had stuff written about it that related to the question, but the questions weren't always answered.

This annoyed me and I would have given it 2 stars. However, the unnecessary, but excellent, discussion about flipping your eyelid inside out bumped it up to 3 stars.
Connie
As a kid, I would have really liked this book. But that was 15 years ago.

It's written in more technical language than I like for younger children, and doesn't really go in-depth enough to suit older children. Not much here that I couldn't find in a good Google search, though it may be useful for those kids who want more information but aren't allowed unfettered internet access yet.
هيا الأسير

The book is actually interesting . Though the writer is addressing a younger age , yet it's perfect if you are lazy and you want a simple direct information. The questions answered are weird and hilarious.
Thank you Beth Ditkoff for writing this book.
Thank you Ms. Elissar for suggesting it :)
Janette
A fun book to read - most Q & As are given a page each, and every question is indexed at the front, so if you need to know why we hiccup, or why pee is yellow or poo is brown, or any other specific subject, you can go straight to that page.

Some interesting information here.
Talia
This is an interesting answer book of medical and body questions for the adult or older child. The answers are explained in a simplified way that made me think this was uncategorized and should be in Juvenile instead of adult!
Indah Threez Lestari
1254th - 2011

Yippee... Baru sadar, ternyata buku nonkomik yang dibaca tahun ini sudah lebih dari buku komik... ini pasti akibat cukup banyak baca buku pengetahuan untuk anak-anak yang tidak berbentuk komik... ;)
Cameron
In Why Don't Your Eyelashes Grow , Beth Ditkoff explains a number of the simple yet fascinating wonders of the human body. A great read for those of you is interested in the human body and medicine (like me!).
Lisa
Oct 08, 2008 Lisa rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone with children who ask questions about the human body
A short book purchased for my 13 year old son who is filled with unique questions. I thought he would enjoy these random facts about the human body.
Neli Cullen
My boyfriend gave me that book has a gift....cause he says I asked him a lot of weird things so I could find answers in it
Chris
Nov 13, 2008 Chris marked it as to-read
Shelves: kids-books, text-book
I think I have the most inquisitive children on the planet. This would be a big help to those "why" questions.
melissa
This book is very informative. It has things that you would never think about in it.
Maverick
Nov 21, 2008 Maverick marked it as to-read
I won the book on Goodreads giveaways.
Erin
Erin added it
Jul 18, 2015
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Daniel Pakpahan
Daniel Pakpahan marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Greg Donaldson
Greg Donaldson marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015