Start by marking “The Wildest Heart” as Want to Read:
The Wildest Heart

The Wildest Heart

No man can own Rowena Danger field sensuous, strong-willed lad with a fiery,unchained spirit-though many desire her. She has come to claim her birthright, foll win h r destiny to the sprawling New Mexican frontier... and to the only man who can tame restless heart.

A handsome half-Apache branded an outlaw-a rebel and renegade feared throughout the territories-Lucas Cord's

Mass Market Paperback, 608 pages
Published October 1974 by Avon Books (first published January 1st 1974)

To ask other readers questions about The Wildest Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wildest Heart

Reader17 Der
Sep 29, 2008 Reader17 Der rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-read
Loved this book. I enjoyed reading it!
Jaime Huff
Nov 08, 2009 Jaime Huff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of historical romance
Recommended to Jaime by: Sourcebooks
A sweeping, beautiful epic romance, "The Wildest Heart" by Rosemary Rogers kept me entranced throughout 739 pages. Yes, 739 pages. Beginning in 1872 with Rowena in India, onto 1873 when upon her grandfather's death she is sent to her mother's (whom she has never met) in London, and off to America upon her finding out her father is dying and has left her his ranch in New Mexico and a very wealthy woman. These pages take you through her life to 1878 without disappointing and no obnoxious down time ...more
Nov 09, 2009 Bridget rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rowena is an independent woman. When her grandfather passes away, she finds herself being handed the duties of her grandfather. She reads a diary that belonged to her father and figures out that she is supposed to smooth things over with her family's rivals. Rowena is hot tempered, especially when conversing with the opposite sex. Will she be able to do what she is destined to or will her pride stand in her way?

I loved the dialogue in this book! Rowena reminds me a lot of myself and I was able t
Nicola O.
Nov 18, 2009 Nicola O. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! It's a re-release of the 1974 original, and it's just a wonderful reminder of all the things that hooked me on the romance genre years ago.

It's not for everyone -- it's very long (which I love) and can be a bit of a slow read. If you like Gabaldon and "epic" scoped historicals, you should definitely give it a try.

See my full review at Alpha Heroes.
Nov 23, 2009 Bookworm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Miss Rowena Dangerfield is raised in India by her grandfather. Her father Guy, brought her to India when she was just a baby. Rowena's mother, Fanny, divorces Guy and leaves to London. When she is 18, Rowena is sent to live in London with her mother, whom she is not close to and her stepfather. Once in London, Rowena's stepfather, Sir Edgar, takes advantage of Rowena and she winds up being his mistress. Rowena winds up going to the New Mexico to claim the inheritance her father left for her. Whi ...more
Jill Dunlop
Jun 08, 2010 Jill Dunlop rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Wildest Heart is a sweeping, epic historical written by the famous romance author Rosemary Rogers. She is probably best known for Sweet Savage Love, one of the first romance books that gets talked about time and again.

The Wildest Heart is narrated by Lady Rowena Dangerfield. She grew up in India with her grandfather the Earl of Melchester, an unconventional man who believed Rowena should be given the same education as a man. To say Rowena is an unusual young woman is an understatement. The
Mishelle LaBrash

A tomb of Historical Romance, compulsively readable!

This was an amazing story, though not for the the faint at heart.
I was drawn to this massive book, by it's size, and genre.

This novel surprised me in so many ways. It was not what I was expecting, it surprised, and horrifed me, both in equal measures. The pages kept turning, almost on their own accord, as my blood pressure raised, and my fingernails suffered.

Rowena Dangerfield, the unwanted only daughter, of a selfish opportunist mother, and
Wendy,  Lady Evelyn Quince
Aug 13, 2010 Regan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since I'm not a fan of first person writing I was prepared not to enjoy this book. Boy am I wrong! There is something about Ms. Rogers' heroes that have them linger in your mind and thoughts for days after the final page is read. This book, written in 1974 was new to me and I wondered how I managed to miss it until now.
Aug 25, 2010 Marilyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bodice-rippers
My favorite of all of her books. Written in the 70's.
Jul 19, 2011 Judith rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I regret buying this book. There is nothing but constant misunderstandings, arguing, and deceptions. The end wasn't even rewarding enough to have put up with all of that.

I never once felt the love the two leading characters had for each other. More like lust. There is more description of the infatuation and love the hero has for his stepmother than for the heroine. That in itself was disturbing. It wasn't as though it was for a fleeting moment either. No, the stepmother was basically "the other
Oct 23, 2011 Tonya rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: bodice ripper lovers
Recommended to Tonya by: Aunt Char
Well I had to walk away from this one before I wrote anything about it other than my status updates while reading.

I read this book because while talking to my Aunt she mentioned her favorite author and recommended I read her book(s). I picked this one since it was one of few currently in print on the book store shelf. I'm not sure if it was such a good idea. I do have to admit that when I was in my teens I was guilty of stealing my Mom's bodice ripper romances from the '70's & '80's but I g
This will be one of the hardest reviews to write - along with Fancy, 2015 is not starting out well.

Rosemary Rogers is the reigning Goddess of bodice-ripping' writers to me. I dove back into this genre after nearly 20 years with Wicked Loving Lies and despite many flaws that I recognized, I loved it. The sweet savage Steve-and-Ginny Saga (putting the FUN back in DysFUNctional!) pushed all my buttons in the best way possible, again... despite the fact that Ginny never developed emotionally over 3
Jul 15, 2012 Dawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book will read it again
Blaze King
These 3 stars is for the writing power of Rosemary Rogers. In spite of absolutely hating the hero and the circumtances surrounding the heroine, i couldn't put down the book !
The truth about a woman's status during those times are abhorable - especially one without a male to protect her.
Jun 25, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I don't have the knack for taking feelings apart and weighing them."
Feb 06, 2015 Tiffany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good, although I was a little turned off by Lucas having a relationship with his aunt. In the end it all came full circle. Overall this book kept me in tune, and I was surprised to see who the true culprit was.
Jan 03, 2014 HÜLYA rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kitap Adı: İçimdeki Fırtına
Yazar Adı : Rosemary Rogers
Orjianl Adı : The Wildest Heart
Goodreads Puanı : 5/3,82
Puanım 5/4

Offff be ne romandı...Şoklardayım..Uzun zamandır okuduğum en sert roman..Tarihsel ve romantik bir kitap okumayı hedefliyorsanız bu kitaptan uzak durun. Çok acı var bu romanda. Beni sevdiğim bir tarz değildi.Yıllar önce Lesley Pearse''in bir kitabı Beni hatırla romanını hatırlattı bana..Bu kadar sert bulmama elimden fırlatıp atma isteğime karşın elimden de bırakamadım.
Her zaman t
Dec 18, 2013 Songül rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Bu nasıl bir kurgu ve hayal gücü , keşke almasaydım diyeceğim bir kitap .. Sevmedim zaten yarısına gelmeden bıraktım . Önce üvey babasının tecavüzü ardından babasının ortağının sarkıntılığı ve kadın karakterin ruhsuzluğu ...daha ne diyebilirim ki uyarıları dikkate alsaydım keşke diyorum sadece :((
Abby Dawson
Part way through this book and I'm not sure I'll bother finishing! The plot is so convoluted I can't remember who has a vendetta against who, Rowena is very scatty and Todd basically a bully. I've read another of the authors' novel a few years back and it was great, this is average at best.
Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder
Dec '14/Jan '15 BRRA Group Read

At long last I have read a book by the great RR.

I expected great things here, but was disappointed.

I guess when an author is as prolific as RR, every book cannot be a home run.
Mar 26, 2015 Shawnessy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bodice-rippers
Another amazing book!

Oh rosemary Rogers, how I love your books!

A classic bodice ripper book with an adventure that you won't be able to stop reading.

There is rape in the book so if that bothers you then don't read
DNF at 76% because I truly could not take one more word in this overblown extravaganza involving characters that I did not care one iota about. You know it's bad when after many threats, you wish they would just go ahead and off each other so you can finally end the pure agony of following them in their journeys from a rapey India to rapey England to rapey New Mexico to rapey Apache nation to rapey and incestuous hacienda. But let me tell you how I really feel.

I am a sucker for historical romanc
Jun 13, 2015 puppitypup rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Historic Fiction Romance?

I was in the mood for a good, old-fashioned romance from the 70's, but this sure doesn't feel like romance. Admittedly, I gave up part way through, but Rowena is so cold-hearted, I just cannot accept her as the heroine in a romance. Therefore, I am categorizing this as Historic Fiction instead.

From others' reviews, I can see that Rowena ultimately loses her heart over Lucas, but I since I can't get myself to turn one more page, I won't be there to see it.

I would not reco
Jean Cowden
Sep 20, 2015 Jean Cowden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i read this book about 25 years ago. I re-read it, forgetting many things that happened. I enjoyed it, but it was like a soap opera, one thing after another to contend with. I didn't even like Rowena until she fell in love with the wild Apache. Lucus was raised with the Indians, he was able to run wild with them, or be Spanish and white. They both had their dark secrets, and was tricked by everyone it seemed. Still I did like the book.
E. Jamie
Aug 05, 2015 E. Jamie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I usually like Rosemary Rogers and her epic sagas but I was disappointed by this one. It took much too long for the hero and heroine to meet and when they finally did I felt no spark between them. In fact, for a good amount before Lucas and Rowena even set eyes on each other the author spends a lot of time setting up this push/pull attraction between Rowena and her business partner Todd Shannon so I left confused as to who exactly was supposed to be Rowena's love interest.
Jan 01, 2016 Angigames rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La Rogers sa scrivere molto bene! Mi sono appassionata a questo libro dalle prime pagine!
Rowena è una protagonista molto particolare: forte e appassionata, giovane e indecisa. Non sempre l'ho apprezzata, in molte occasioni l'avrei strozzata ma ho ammirato il suo coraggio e la sua dedizione.
Questo libro ruota intorno ad una famiglia che nasconde diversi segreti, ed è grazie a loro che mi sono appassionata alla storia. Per innamorarsi di Lucas basta un nanosecondo, fidatevi.
Bellissimo, affascina
☮ mary

Maybe it is because "This" was my first romance novel ever, I was 15 and completely fascinated by Luca the Native American hero ...

Rowena was also a fierce and resourceful heroine who, except for the ridiculous interlude of her engagement to the loathsome Rancher man, managed to follow her heart though hell and fire ...

Of course it is a 80's type of romance with its fair share of bodice-ripped shenanigans and way too many assault scenes that would make me want to slap the author nowadays ...

Fionn Jameson
Sep 16, 2016 Fionn Jameson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly good, despite all the bodice ripping (literally).
  • Never Call It Love
  • Savage Surrender
  • Bold Breathless Love
  • Gypsy Lady (Louisiana #1)
  • Captive Passions (Captive, #1)
  • Once More, Miranda
  • The Copeland Bride
  • No Gentle Love
  • This Other Eden (Eden, #1)
  • The Taming (Cameron, #1)
  • Lily
  • Wild Bells to the Wild Sky
  • Love Wild and Fair
  • Love and War (Coltrane, #1)
  • Lady Of Fire (Fire, #1)
There is more than one author with this name

Rosemary Jansz Navaratnam Rogers Kadison

Rosemary Jansz was born on 7 December 1932 in Panadura, Ceylon (now known as Sri Lanka), she was the oldest child of Dutch-Portuguese settlers, Barbara "Allan" and Cyril Jansz. Her father was a wealthy educator who owned three posh private schools. She was raised in colonial splendor: dozens of servants, no work, s
More about Rosemary Rogers...

“We gave each other, with our bodies, the commitment that neither of us dared put into words. We mated. There is no other word for it. We were equal—man and woman; neither asking what we could not give. And later, when the fury of passion had died away into peace and we were content to lie together, still part of each other, I remember thinking that whatever happened later I would always have something that could not be taken from me or lost. An unchangeable moment, encapsulated in time.” 2 likes
“But why on earth not? What has got into you?” “Rowena—dear God, do you take me for a man of steel? Or not as a man at all? Don’t you realize what it means to see you every day, to be constantly with you, knowing that you are promised to my uncle and that I can never possess you?” “I’m sorry, Mark. I hadn’t thought—that is, I thought you had forgotten all about your infatuation for me.” 1 likes