Start by marking “God's Gift” as Want to Read:
God's Gift

God's Gift

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  1,205 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Missionary work in Africa was the most difficult and faith-affirming labor James Graham had ever faced, and warm, homey presents from a Good Samaritan back home gave him hope to carry on. But an injury halted his work and sent him home to Chicago.

There, James met Rachel Ashcroft, who'd sent those thoughtful gifts, and he was intrigued by the sadness that shadowed her featu
Published July 18th 2006 by Steeple Hill (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about God's Gift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God's Gift

Sid Frost
Here is another Christian fiction I think you will like. God's Gift by Dee Henderson. When I bought it, I thought it was her latest book. I think because Amazon sent me an email saying it was new. Now, I'm wondering if the ad said it was now available on the Kindle. Doesn't matter. I still enjoyed it. At the end of the book, I learned it was her second book and came out in 1998.

Due to an unknown illness, thirty-five year old James Graham is sent home from Zaire after six years working in missio
Jeni Enjaian
A review from my old blog...

I fell in love with Henderson's O'Malley series. I felt connected to these characters even though all of them were ten to fifteen years old than me. Her combination of suspense and romance went right up my alley.

This book, published before the O'Malley series but after the prequel Danger in the Shadows, did not have that same vibe. I struggled to enter the book. Henderson loaded a good deal of back story even before the twentieth page.

The relationship between Rae and
An easy read. It lacks the intensity of the O'Malley series, however, was enjoyable and made me a little teary eyed. A reminder to not get distracted in life and see what really matters, as well as a beautiful look to pray in all things. Also, one of the chapters even convicted me about being in God's word every morning. A lovely story, I recommend it if you are looking for light reading that has a happy ending.
I have read many of Henderson's books and loved them all. If I had read this one first I would probably not have continued. It is good but just average. Nothing to draw you in. Everyday characters. Not well developed, a plot you can predict. It is one of her early books so guess she had not developed her strong emotional writing style yet.
Dianne Sidebottom
I so waited for Dee's first books to come out on ebook. I read her other books and wait to hear what her new one will be called. Dee has a perspective that's her very own n I see many authors she has helped develop their writing skills with her mentoring. Strong professional women and friendships that have developed in childhood seem to be a theme in her books. (I feel I missed out both by not having deep friendships/ education opportunities). I see familiar first names Dee has used in her books ...more
Wendy Sparkes
A lovely story.

It was quite slow paced, which under normal circumstances I wouldn't appreciate as much. But the theme of the story was powerful, & to capture the nuances, a slow pace was needed.

I don't know whether I have the exact same illness as James, but if not, it is definitely something similiar, & I could relate to him very well. The difficulties he experienced, the adaptations to life he had to make, the bother of burdening others, the hurt of dreams perhaps not being fulfilled,
Engaging, easy to read, gentle, tactful. Dee Henderson presents great pictures of good, deep friendhips. She handles the romantic relationships in this novel very well. I enjoyed reading this book and it was just what I needed on a cold, snowy, icy night.

Is God good? Are the circumstances He allows into our lives always for our good? Why does He allow bad things to happen to us? Why does He allow us to have a dream or desire and then take away the fulfillment of it? These are some of the questio
Dee Henderson is a favorite, but these characters seemed one dimensional. This was not my favorite of hers, and in the future I will read her suspense/mysteries which seem to be her strongest genre.
Jean W Cole
Great book

Gives a great understanding of physical pain and the loss of dreams. Her books are a pleasure to read as well as an inspiration.
Dec 03, 2009 Donna rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of gentle reads, Christian fiction
Recommended to Donna by: ARRT romance genre study
Shelves: romance
This book is the "other side" of inspirational romance. Rather than the ecstatic "sexual love shows us God's love" version, this is the very chaste "let's limit ourselves to one kiss per date" romance. The writing here isn't very good. Everything is left very general as though the author didn't want to research anything. (The hero has "a disease" and takes "some medicine". The couple watches "three movies" [no titles:].) Even the big break that comes between them is really not faced head-on. Alt ...more
I just could not get into this book. I found everytime i sat down and read it i could not focus on the story.
Lynn Hallbrooks
I was given an opportunity to read this book by one of my very good friends.

I think Ms. Henderson consistently finds a way to take everyday events, adds her blend of humor, friendship, love, romance, and impeccable sense of timing to make Christian fiction fun to read.

I'll admit that I haven't read Ms. Henderson's books in chronological order. As I understand it...this one was her second book to write. You couldn't prove it by me. It is as good as her more recent books. I truly believe Ms. Hen
Christian fiction. Very good read.
I thought it would be better than it was. You can tell that this was one of her first novels= before the O'Malley series, and I really enjoyed that series. I thought I would be able to relate well to this book because it deals with a person who has cronic pain, that has to quit his livelihood because of the pain- right up my alley right= but it just wasn't well written, the plot was really thin in places, and unrealistic in many instances.
May 02, 2013 Emma rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
I enjoyed this book, the romance was gentle and progressed at a more natural pace than most of these kinds of book. I found Rae just a tad annoying but I suspect that is because I saw a lot of myself in her and I have been annoying myself a little of late!!

I would have liked a little more dramatic tension, but that is just me being picky.

Plenty to chew on in the "Everything happens for a reason" and "God has his own plan for you" arenas.
My guess is that this is one of Henderson's earlier books. I can see themes in it that she uses in many of her books (the people who are crazily well-connected, the tragic events that force people to see the light, that sort of thing). This one wasn't too bad but a little on the boring side. This is what I get for pulling from the library shelves without really looking to see if it's very good.
Lynette Myers
Was a nice love story that stays true to the writers Christian morals.

I appreciated that they could enjoy being friends/dating without having to go past that to draw people in to read it.

It was also nice to see there are struggles in life that can change what you had planned for your life, but still see how God will use it.
Sad, not much plot.
joyce lynn
as usual w/ Henderson's book, it was one i could NOT put down! and, that was DESPITE it NOT being one of her mysteries! for anyone who likes a little romance, along w/ a more realistic story line, and more REAL people, this is one to put on your list!!!
Sep 23, 2007 Christie rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
While I have enjoyed Dee Henderson's novels, this book was not one of them. Honestly, I was very disappointed. I never felt like I connected with any of the characters. I wouldn't reccommend that anyone waste their time on this one.
Kelly Derse
I loved, loved, loved this book! I related to Him as he left Africa. His feelings so raw and so real to me at this time in my life. I'm not quite sure how he moved on but this book turned into a very beautiful love story.
Gretl Dixon
When we do things for others we never know what may come from it. Someday some one we help may be just the one who helps us so the cycle continues. NEw friends are sometimes brought into our lives to help us in way no ther can.
A man has to put aside his missionary work because of the aching in his muscles/joints. When he meets a young lady, he wonders if she could be meant for him, but she has her own pain (not physical) to get through.
Sarah Evans
I generally like this author and the story was sweet. But it was her second novel published and you can tell she's still finding her way as a writer. Interesting, but pick up her O'Malley series instead.
I really enjoyed this book. As the story unfolds it shows that our plans are not nalways what God's plan is for our lifes. It blends a mixture of romance with learning to listen from God.
Typical of Dee Henderson. Well written, enjoyable and easy to read. Held attention til finished. Highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys Henderson's style of writing.
God's Gift and The Marriage Wish are two of this author's earliest published books. These are Ok, but the series she's written since are much improved.
Brenda Elliott
This story was boring at times but it also related to the same situation I have lived with for many years in his becoming ill with an unknown name.
I enjoyed this book, although not as good as the O'Malley series. An aid worker in Africa rekindled memories of Zambia. A good read.
First Read - Fantastic Story, brilliant characters!
Second Read - Beautiful story with real characters.
  • Frontier Courtship
  • Gingham Bride (Buttons and Bobbins #1)
  • Made of Honor
  • A Match Made in Texas (Chatam House #2)
  • The Confidential Life of Eugenia Cooper (Women of the West Series #1)
  • Midnight Caller (Steeple Hill Love Inspired Suspense #190)
  • Dead Air
  • Rock My World (Harlequin Blaze #215)
  • Ambushed! (McCalls' Montana #3)
  • The Devil She Knows (Devil, #6)
  • Faith (Virtue, #2)
  • The Grail King (Druids of Avalon, #2)
  • When Dreams Cross (Second Chances, #2)
  • The Cheating Curve
  • Halos
  • Claimed By a Scottish Lord (Mystical Bliss, #2)
  • Reason and Romance (Austen Series, #2)
  • Snow Melts in Spring

Dee Henderson is the author of 14 best-selling novels, including the acclaimed O'Malley series and the Uncommon Heroes series. As a leader in the inspirational romantic suspense category, her books have won or been nominated for several prestigious industry awards, including the RWA's RITA Award, the Christy Awa
More about Dee Henderson...
The Negotiator (O'Malley, #1) The Truth Seeker (O'Malley #3) The Guardian (O'Malley #2) The Healer (O'Malley #5) The Protector (O'Malley #4)