Start by marking “Myths of Gender: Biological Theories about Women and Men” as Want to Read:
Myths of Gender: Biological Theories about Women and Men

Myths of Gender: Biological Theories about Women and Men

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  234 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
By carefully examining the biological, genetic, evolutionary, and psychological evidence, a noted biologist finds a shocking lack of substance behind ideas about biologically based sex differences. Features a new chapter and afterward on recent biological breakthroughs.
Paperback, Revised Edition, 320 pages
Published September 30th 1992 by Basic Books (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Myths of Gender, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Myths of Gender

Zach
Sep 17, 2009 Zach rated it really liked it
Shelves: feminism-gender
Biology is not a one-way determinant but a dynamic component of our existence.

A surprisingly funny (in a totally snarky way) attack on both positivist essentialism and the idea that science could exist in a political vacuum.
Belenen
May 14, 2009 Belenen rated it it was amazing
Written by a medical doctor, Myths of Gender explores studies on 'gender', focusing on the medical aspects. Fausto-Sterling discusses genes, hormones, brain differences, animal behavior, homosexuality, and how science affects society. Succinct, objective, and fascinating.
Nancy
Aug 12, 2014 Nancy rated it really liked it
Tons of evidence, plus some sharp insight into the weakness of many "studies" on gender difference. Fausto-Sterling dissects commonly held beliefs, neatly comparing what's produced as evidence, but also things that "experts" on gender difference spout from their perches in academia and media.

The writing is frequently dry and didactic, but readable. Occasionally, however, Fausto-Sterling shifts into a more conversational or even sardonic tone, and that's when the book comes alive.
kylajaclyn
May 17, 2014 kylajaclyn rated it did not like it
This book is crushingly hard to get through, but I had to for the sake of my Sociology of Women class. I understand what Fausto-Sterling is trying to do here - proving that the "differences of biology" between men and women are tenuous at best - but this book is so steeped in science and theories and that sort of talk that I often fell asleep. I am more interested in the differences between men and women from a psychological and women's studies point of view. Not that the sociological should be ...more
Ronald Lett
Jan 20, 2016 Ronald Lett rated it really liked it
Shelves: gender-studies
An excellent overview and deconstruction of several often cited studies. Beyond the specific studies cited, it offers great extensive analysis on how the methodology of experiments can be both purposefully and unknowingly biased if they are not carefully designed. Citation of older studies especially is problematic when the language and words used have different intrinsic definitions. Although this book is a little older, and has some outdated ideas in the area of neuroscience (which has recentl ...more
Les Howie
Dec 07, 2013 Les Howie rated it really liked it
A brilliant demolition of the bad science behind gender-role-affirming memes like "men have better visual-spacial perception than women". While much of the book looks at work from the late 70s and early 80s, some of the ideas are still "common knowledge" today, and the sort of bad science (or at least bad science reporting) that perpetuates those myths is still being done.
Aubri
May 10, 2012 Aubri rated it really liked it
It was an interesting read and the author made many good points about research and methods used to enforce our "age old" myths about gender. My only complaint is the book's age; some of the content is outdated. I'd be very interested to read an updated version with commentary regarding new research.
Andy
Jul 06, 2009 Andy rated it really liked it
Fausto-Sterling challenges the assertions of certain brain scientists and geneticists (among others), and offers a history of scientific misconceptions based on biology. Her main argument is that these gender myths are used to defend or protect the status quo.
Jaden
Oct 20, 2013 Jaden rated it really liked it
Very interesting book to read. It seemed very "textbook" at times, but the author does a wonderful job of throwing in snarky comments from time to time and elegantly shooting certain theorie down. This is the kind of book that I would suggest you only read if you have a genuine interest and some background in the topic.
Elizabeth Craig
It was way too academic-y for my personal taste, I felt like I was reading a science textbook. I thought it would be more about the psychology behind why transsexuals feel they don't belong to the gender they were assigned with at birth. My mistake, but this was not the book that I was looking for.
Jim
Nov 26, 2011 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent! Review coming soon...
nicole
Oct 02, 2007 nicole rated it it was amazing
she's fun, funny, and smart.
William
May 21, 2012 William rated it did not like it
Utter rubbish...
Vlectronica
Vlectronica marked it as to-read
Kayla Dean
Kayla Dean marked it as to-read
Elsa María
Elsa María marked it as to-read
Lily
Lily marked it as to-read
Molly
Molly marked it as to-read
Jack Brennan
Jack Brennan marked it as to-read
J3llyfish
J3llyfish marked it as to-read
Olivia M
Olivia M marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Lindsay Haynes
Lindsay Haynes marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Austin Thompson
Austin Thompson marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Victoria Lopez
Victoria Lopez marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Emma Webley
Emma Webley marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Zachary
Zachary marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Jazmine Chilo
Jazmine Chilo marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Flavie
Flavie marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
  • Brainstorm: The Flaws in the Science of Sex Differences
  • Same Difference: How Gender Myths Are Hurting Our Relationships, Our Children, and Our Jobs
  • The Boundaries of Her Body: A Shocking History of Women's Rights in America
  • Evolution's Rainbow: Diversity, Gender, and Sexuality in Nature and People
  • The Gender Knot: Unraveling Our Patriarchal Legacy
  • Misogyny: The World's Oldest Prejudice
  • Mismeasure of Woman: Why Women Are Not the Better Sex, the Inferior Sex, or the Opposite Sex
  • Transforming a Rape Culture
  • Unbearable Weight: Feminism, Western Culture, and the Body
  • Whores and Other Feminists
  • Virginity or Death!: And Other Social and Political Issues of Our Time
  • Trans Liberation: Beyond Pink or Blue
  • Sexual Fluidity: Understanding Women's Love and Desire
  • The War on Choice: The Right-Wing Attack on Women's Rights and How to Fight Back
  • Wake Up Little Susie: Single Pregnancy and Race Before Roe V Wade
  • The Creation of Patriarchy
  • Daring to Be Bad: Radical Feminism in America, 1967-1975
  • Fat Is a Feminist Issue
Anne Fausto-Sterling (born July 30, 1944) is the Nancy Duke Lewis Professor of Biology and Gender Studies at Brown University. She participates actively in the field of sexology and has written extensively on the fields of biology of gender, sexual identity, gender identity, and gender roles.

Fausto-Sterling received her Bachelor of Arts degree in zoology from University of Wisconsin in 1965 and he
More about Anne Fausto-Sterling...