Start by marking “Myths of Gender: Biological Theories about Women and Men” as Want to Read:
Myths of Gender: Biological Theories about Women and Men

Myths of Gender: Biological Theories about Women and Men

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  209 ratings  ·  12 reviews
By carefully examining the biological, genetic, evolutionary, and psychological evidence, a noted biologist finds a shocking lack of substance behind ideas about biologically based sex differences. Features a new chapter and afterward on recent biological breakthroughs.
Paperback, Revised Edition, 320 pages
Published September 30th 1992 by Basic Books (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Myths of Gender, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Myths of Gender

Biology is not a one-way determinant but a dynamic component of our existence.

A surprisingly funny (in a totally snarky way) attack on both positivist essentialism and the idea that science could exist in a political vacuum.
Written by a medical doctor, Myths of Gender explores studies on 'gender', focusing on the medical aspects. Fausto-Sterling discusses genes, hormones, brain differences, animal behavior, homosexuality, and how science affects society. Succinct, objective, and fascinating.
This book is crushingly hard to get through, but I had to for the sake of my Sociology of Women class. I understand what Fausto-Sterling is trying to do here - proving that the "differences of biology" between men and women are tenuous at best - but this book is so steeped in science and theories and that sort of talk that I often fell asleep. I am more interested in the differences between men and women from a psychological and women's studies point of view. Not that the sociological should be ...more
Les Howie
A brilliant demolition of the bad science behind gender-role-affirming memes like "men have better visual-spacial perception than women". While much of the book looks at work from the late 70s and early 80s, some of the ideas are still "common knowledge" today, and the sort of bad science (or at least bad science reporting) that perpetuates those myths is still being done.
It was an interesting read and the author made many good points about research and methods used to enforce our "age old" myths about gender. My only complaint is the book's age; some of the content is outdated. I'd be very interested to read an updated version with commentary regarding new research.
Fausto-Sterling challenges the assertions of certain brain scientists and geneticists (among others), and offers a history of scientific misconceptions based on biology. Her main argument is that these gender myths are used to defend or protect the status quo.
Tons of evidence, plus some sharp insight into the weakness of many "studies" on gender difference. Fausto-Sterling dissects commonly held beliefs, neatly comparing what's produced as evidence, but also things that "experts" on gender difference spout from their perches in academia and media.

The writing is frequently dry and didactic, but readable. Occasionally, however, Fausto-Sterling shifts into a more conversational or even sardonic tone, and that's when the book comes alive.
Very interesting book to read. It seemed very "textbook" at times, but the author does a wonderful job of throwing in snarky comments from time to time and elegantly shooting certain theorie down. This is the kind of book that I would suggest you only read if you have a genuine interest and some background in the topic.
Elizabeth Craig
It was way too academic-y for my personal taste, I felt like I was reading a science textbook. I thought it would be more about the psychology behind why transsexuals feel they don't belong to the gender they were assigned with at birth. My mistake, but this was not the book that I was looking for.
Excellent! Review coming soon...
she's fun, funny, and smart.
Utter rubbish...
Jessica H
Jessica H marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Hannah marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Alexandria marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
Raziya marked it as to-read
Bridget Curnow
Bridget Curnow marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Stacy marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Allie marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Angela marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Milisia is currently reading it
Nov 17, 2015
Emma Wood
Emma Wood marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Cailin marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Jacquelyn marked it as to-read
Amanda Beschonet
Amanda Beschonet marked it as to-read
Agnieszka Bartosik
Agnieszka Bartosik marked it as to-read
HJ marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
Laura Ellison
Laura Ellison marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2015
Irum marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2015
  • Evolution's Rainbow: Diversity, Gender, and Sexuality in Nature and People
  • Brainstorm: The Flaws in the Science of Sex Differences
  • The Gender Knot: Unraveling Our Patriarchal Legacy
  • The Boundaries of Her Body: A Shocking History of Women's Rights in America
  • Misogyny: The World's Oldest Prejudice
  • Unbearable Weight: Feminism, Western Culture, and the Body
  • Same Difference: How Gender Myths Are Hurting Our Relationships, Our Children, and Our Jobs
  • Whores and Other Feminists
  • The Frailty Myth: Redefining the Physical Potential of Women and Girls
  • Virginity or Death!: And Other Social and Political Issues of Our Time
  • Undoing Gender
  • The Means of Reproduction: Sex, Power, and the Future of the World
  • How to Suppress Women's Writing
  • Trans Liberation: Beyond Pink or Blue
  • Mismeasure of Woman: Why Women Are Not the Better Sex, the Inferior Sex, or the Opposite Sex
  • The Creation of Patriarchy