Start by marking “Shifting: The Double Lives of Black Women in America” as Want to Read:
Shifting: The Double Lives of Black Women in America

Shifting: The Double Lives of Black Women in America

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  284 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Do you ever feel that you have to leave your true self at the door in order to placate White colleagues? Do you downplay your abilities for fear of outshining Black men? Do you speak one way in the office, another way to your girlfriends? Is it sometimes a struggle to feel good about how you look -- your skin color, your hair, your body size and shape?

In this arresting and
Published September 2nd 2003 by Harper (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Shifting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shifting

Kimberly
Wow.

That's all I can say after reading this book.

If you've ever received the compliment "Wow, you speak so well......" or "Wow, you're so smart ......" with an unspoken trail off at the end of the sentence, this book is for you.

If you've ever spoken to someone on the phone and then met them in person, only to have them say in passing "When I talked to you, I thought you were White." This book is for you.

If you've cringed at the hyper sexualization of thin, Black females, the "once a Black male
Desiree
While reading this I realized I picked the wrong time to delve into the subject matter and it was quite unintentional. I had borrowed it from the library and it was fast approaching the return date so I had to get a move on and read it.

Now why do I say wrong time? I say this because with all the negativity, bigotry & entitlement that is running rampant this book only served as a reminder and an emphatic confirmation of what African American women have to endure while navigating life in thes
Izetta Autumn
Given the recent torture and sexual assault of Megan Williams, a 20-year old West Virginian who was held captive for several days, while she was repeatedly raped and beaten, and the Dunbar Housing Project sexual assault, I feel it's vitally important to read about the lives of Black Women (and all womyn) in America - especially as so many of us face violence. For me, reading is about good books - but also books that equip me with the ability to live a more full and aware life.

Check out:
CKE387
Deals with the duality of being black and female, encountering problems that neither black men nor white women face or coud emphatize with.
BMR, MSW, LSW
I cannot articulate how deeply this book affected me.

If there were a freshman survey course about me at a university, this would be the first book on the syllabus.

I have so much to unpack and think about after finishing this book. I'd say 60 percent of the stories resonated with me at such a deep level, it was like reading a narrative of my life so far. The other 40 percent of stories I recognized in the lives of other Black women I know.

I don't buy many books anymore, but I am buying this one.

I
Christie
A lot of this book hit close to home for me, and maybe that is a good thing. It explains a lot of what I have gone/continue to go through as a Black woman in modern society. Good read for gender studies, feminists, and Black/AA Studies students, as well as anyone interested in the psychological effects of 'shifting' to accommodate and 'smooth things over' for others.
Kokotron
Great information, but no solutions to the issues we face. It is based off a study so it is a long hard read. I definitely saw myself or someone I knew in more than a few stories.
Kelli
The life and times of black women in America having to endure dual "isms" against women and African Americans.
Evelyne
An enlightening read that brought to the forefront many of the struggles and challenges Black women in America face--both within their families and communities and in the workforce. I will admit I was ignorant to many of these challenges. In this sense, Shifting has served to make me conscious of the many obstacles and prejudices Black women face in America--because of their race and also uniquely because of their gender. As a result of reading this book I have become more committed to making su ...more
Mr. Roboto
Jul 31, 2007 Mr. Roboto rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I bought this book after meeting the authors at a book-signing at Women and Children First bookstore in Chicago. They do a nice job of addressing what many black people feel they have to do in the workplace - turn on their "acceptable" selves. This book presents the results of a qualitative study and includes quotes from interviews. A common way of shifting (mentioned often by study participants) is toning down anger to avoid being perceived as a crazy, finger-waving, neck-swiveling Black woman. ...more
Tracey
This was a wonderful book. Provides the perspective of black women in America, along with the author's point-blank look at her own race: "If we can't understand what we want, then how can we expect others to understand what we want?"

Author was a child in the 1950s, in college in the 1960s and began her journalism career in the mid, to late 1960s. Her perspective on this topic is phenomenal.
Gwen
A well written book based on responses from a survey of a diverse group of black women. The responses provided a glimpse of how women felt they had to "shift " or navigate prejudices based on their complexion, race, employment, etc. Thus book is a must read.
Lawrence Tuck
I thought this book was incredible. I have run into that, where the person spoke to you on the phone, and when they met you in person they were shocked, because they didnt think you were black. I like how the author visited/interviewed those from many walks of life, and covered varied aspects of life as well-in great detail......
S. McLean
This book is amazing. This is a MUST read for every Black African woman as well as the individuals that love them. This book helped me understand my place & spaces as a Black African woman in America. I refer this book to everyone I know & it is by far one of my favorites. I will warn you, be ready to cry when you read this.
Annie
Very interesting read about what it means to Black Woman America in various aspects of life and the moment to moment struggle to be ourselves while trying to fit the mold of a society that has is both oppressive and misogynistic towards black women, despite the strides we have made.
Trina
Feb 20, 2008 Trina rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Black women
The idea that Black women shift their demeanor, speech pattern, and appearance in order to be accepted by Black men and White America. I did not agree with the way the book was presented. I felt it was subjective and stilted in some of its views. Only one point of view was expressed.
John Mckinney
A very thought-provoking book. However, it is told as an exclusive part of
Black Women's lives and yet it is seen throughout any person that has to "put on a mask" for anything they may do, albeit work, school, dating, etc. etc,...
Rosie
Interesting examination of how African-American women in the professional world sometimes feel as if they must "shift" who they are in order to be accepted and possibly break-through glass ceilings.
Lori Hylton
Jan 22, 2013 Lori Hylton marked it as to-read
Read this book several years ago and it really spoke to me. But now that I'm at a much different place in my life I wonder if I will feel the same ? So it's on my re-read list. We'll see.
Michelle Oyeka
After reading this book... I didn't feel so alone in the way that I approached the world. This book defined a term that i already instinctively knew how to do, without being told
Dawn
I loved this book. It was refreshing to see such an accurate portrait and saddening that so few would actually understand the books meaning.
Jerrika
Different than what I thought it'd be, but still a good book with interesting subject matter I could relate to.
Melissa Jeter
It was good. The bottom line as my friend who recommended stated, just be yourself.
Elisa Gusdal
Apr 20, 2008 Elisa Gusdal rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: especially my Minnesota sisters!
Shelves: non-fiction
Enjoyed the discussion with the author at the NOMMO Forum.
Erin Deanna
Loved it! This book is an eye opener!
Vero
Vero marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
  • Hair Story: Untangling the Roots of Black Hair in America
  • Black Macho and the Myth of the Superwoman
  • We Real Cool: Black Men and Masculinity
  • Black Sexual Politics: African Americans, Gender, and the New Racism (PB)
  • When and Where I Enter: The Impact of Black Women on Race and Sex in America
  • Our Kind of People: Inside America's Black Upper Class
  • The Color Complex: The Politics of Skin Color Among African Americans
  • It's the Little Things: Everyday Interactions That Anger, Annoy, and Divide the Races
  • But Some Of Us Are Brave: All the Women Are White, All the Blacks Are Men: Black Women's Studies
  • Words of Fire: An Anthology of African-American Feminist Thought
  • White Women, Race Matters: The Social Construction of Whiteness
  • Moral Combat: Black Atheists, Gender Politics, and the Values Wars
  • Home Girls: A Black Feminist Anthology
  • How Capitalism Underdeveloped Black America: Problems in Race, Political Economy, and Society (Updated Edition)
  • Sister Citizen: Shame, Stereotypes, and Black Women in America