Start by marking “Earth-Shattering Poems” as Want to Read:
Earth-Shattering Poems

Earth-Shattering Poems

Poetry helps us across the world's narrow bridges, but when we slip, it helps us not to be afraid. Here is a collection of some of the most intense poems ever written, to guide us, to lead us, to hold on to as we fall.

Poems are earth-shattering when, as Emily Dickinson put it, "I feel physically as if the top of my head were taken off." Liz Rosenberg has selected poems of
Published January 15th 1998 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Earth-Shattering Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Earth-Shattering Poems

David
May 21, 2009 David rated it it was amazing
Didn't realize this is the same Rosenberg who wrote the novel Home Repair. Amazing little collection, though I think I like her Invisible Ladder even more, because I treasure those photos of the poets as adults and as kids. Galway Kinnell as a handsome teenager! Ginsberg as a long-legged kid! Rosenberg herself looking like a Salinger kid character.
Elijah
Jul 18, 2007 Elijah rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Though the poems are perhaps not quite as life-changing as the title would have you believe, I found this collection at the perfect time and it hit home.

My favourite is this poem from the meditations of Rabbi Nachman:

The whole world is a very narrow bridge
but the most important thing is not to be afraid at all.
 Barb Bailey
Aug 19, 2008 Barb Bailey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, 2008, 5-star-books
I savored this book!
Crystal
Jul 19, 2009 Crystal rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Shelves: choice-books
Poetry

1999 Riverbank Review Children's Book of Distinction Award

3/5

7th-10th Grade

Summary
This is a collection of 41 poets. The poems involve joy, love, sadness, anger. Every one includes some form of "earth shattering" understanding, hence the title of the collection. The poems capture, tear down, break your heart, and then build you back up again. It deals with real life issues that affect us all, like the roller coaster known as love.
Evaluation
This is a good example of young adult literature. I
Anne Bond
Mar 12, 2016 Anne Bond rated it liked it
I don't know that I'd call this collection of poems "earth-shattering" but I enjoyed it overall.
Jared
Aug 27, 2012 Jared rated it liked it
It's difficult to "judge" a book of poetry. It's like judging painting or photography--everything is so subjective. Just because a poem might not resonate with me doesn't mean that it won't resonate with someone else.

But as the editor, Liz Rosenberg, admits, the poems included in her anthology were selected with a teen or young adult audience in mind. And that's apparent. A number of these poems were a bit too drastic for me, for lack of a better word. Quite a few gems, though--many of which I'd
Crystal
Sep 02, 2008 Crystal rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, poetry
Rosenberg has pulled together poetry from Sappho (620-550 B.C.) to Kate Schmidt (born in 1973 and still living) and also provided brief biographical sketches of the poets. She tried to find poems that speak to our “most intense experiences and emotions” and shake the reader. These speak to the intensity of adolescence.
Christina Rau
Aug 28, 2015 Christina Rau rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
This compilation makes sense. It is a great way to continue my self-education of poetry. This collection is aimed at a younger generation, most likely to continue the love of poetry for the future. Get Drunk! by Baudelaire doesn't seem kid-friendly. It is, however, Christina-friendly. Rock on, Baudelaire.

Sundry
Oct 02, 2007 Sundry rated it liked it
Okay, I admit it, I was hoping that this would include some geology references. This collection was intended for kids, but it starts with Sappho and moves forward. Very interesting little anthology.
Heartbreakdiet06
Apr 26, 2009 Heartbreakdiet06 rated it it was amazing
Love this book. Gave it to my thirteen year old goddaughter and she carries it around with her.
Todd
Jul 24, 2014 Todd rated it really liked it
Like the biographical materials at the end. Nice ideas for further reading.
Aug 29, 2016
Jul 31, 2016
Jul 06, 2016
May 22, 2016
Gabrielle I
Gabrielle I marked it as to-read
Lee-Lee
Lee-Lee marked it as to-read
KassieNM
KassieNM marked it as to-read
Miss Welsh
Miss Welsh marked it as to-read
Natalie B
Natalie B marked it as to-read
CaitlynMM
CaitlynMM marked it as to-read
Bethanne
Bethanne rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2016
Shellii Huff
Shellii Huff marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Candace M Ellison
Candace M Ellison marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Samantha Albala
Samantha Albala rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2016
Sep 23, 2016
Charyl
Charyl rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2016
E. T. Brother
E. T. Brother marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Liz Rosenberg is an American poet, novelist, children's book author, and book reviewer. She is currently a professor of English at Binghamton University.
More about Liz Rosenberg...