Start by marking “Elder Rage, or Take My Father... Please! How to Survive Caring for Aging Parents” as Want to Read:

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  35 reviews
ELDER RAGE (print, audio, Kindle/Nook) is a Book-of-the-Month Club selection (caregiving first) receiving 500+ 5-Star Amazon reviews, 50+ endorsements including Regis Philbin, Leeza Gibbons, John Hopkins Memory Clinic: www.ElderRage.com/Review.asp, required reading at numerous universities for courses in geriatric assessment and management, and considered for a film.

ELDER
Published April 2001 by Impressive Press

Be the first to ask a question about Elder Rage, or Take My Father... Please! How to Survive Caring for Aging Parents

Cheryl C
I learned that my in-laws are not the only hard to manage senior citizens. So many of the problems we are having with them have parallels in this book. The book is extremely well written and I couldn't put it down once I started to read it. I liked the humorous style and it made a difficult situation more easily understood. There are also excellent suggestions and resources listed in the final section of the book. A must read for caregivers of elderly relatives.
Judie
I didn't finish this book; ran out of time before Christmas. I found it hilariously true; meaning that while the situation described is difficult, there is comedy in the difficulty. I related to the problems. I also got a headache as I read and found the reality of it distressing. That is probably because I am a care giver myself, so it hit home with me.
An interesting read. Since it was for class, I was very happy that there was humor and that I found myself wanting to keep reading. If you are dealing with an older adult family member with a recent diagnosis of Alzheimer's or Dementia, or if you have found yourself to be their caretaker, this is a good book to make you feel less alone.
Joyce
A must read for those who are caring for elderly parents or have loved ones who suffer from memory loss, dementia. The author suddenly finds she must care for her aging parents and is ill prepared to do so. At the end of her story, the author shares her lessons and valuable to do lists.
Sago
This is a really good read for anyone that has parents or grandparents dealing with dementia and helps understanding lots of the transitions.
Anna Rogstad
great book, really enjoyed reading this book. the author shows alot of love and compassion for her parents.
Bridget
Really good insight into the role of caregivers and the stress that they are under
Elli
I've found ELDER RAGE to be most helpful during my time with a difficult and aging father. My situation was somewhat similar to Ms. Marcell's, although the information within the book can easily be applied to any family dynamic. The humor made the entire subject easier to take and the information was quite helpful. Have recommended ELDER RAGE to family and friends, all of whom have been helped by it. Thank you, Ms. Marcell, for coming forward at a time when it wasn't so common to do so and armin ...more
Karen
Tremendously Good & Surprisingly Funny Read!
“Elder Rage” helped me so much through my mother's dementia, as it gave me great peace of mind to know the array of emotions that wreak havoc with your world are normal and others feel the same way. I usually forget what I read quickly, but the lessons and love of “Elder Rage” have stuck with me. I passed it to a friend going through it with her father and it helped her so much with self-doubt and what to do. I recommend it to anyone, whether you a
Maureen
I love this book. I read it about ten years ago and I recommend it to everyone I know who has anything to do with the elderly, whether they have Alzheimer's or not. It will make you laugh and make you cry. It's honest, moving, and an eye-opener into the world of Alzheimer's. All caregivers should read it, whether you have a family member with Alzheimer's or volunteer with the elderly as many of us do. It's a keeper!

Maureen Madore
Angie Butler
This book saved me from a nervous breakdown. It helped me laugh at my situation with my Mother. And also helped me by giving me great tips. If you are a caregiver of someone with dementia it is wonderful .
Judy Croome
My father had stroke induced vascular dementia for over 8 years, leaving us devastated at his mental and personality loss long before we lost him physically to death in February 2012. My mother and I were his primary care-givers through all the inexorable changes in his behaviour that this disease afflicts on its sufferers over the long, painful years. At the time I read ELDER RAGE, I approached it as a reader with a sincere desire to be helped through what was a sad and heart-breaking experienc ...more
Lynn Simmons
I have been reading a number of books on Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia to help understand what is happening with my mother. This book helped to put some of that reading in perspective. I know not everyone would enjoy the humor, but humor is how I get through some of the events with my mother. And many of the behaviors of my mother are similar to Jackie's dad. A tough time for all concerned. The book has a lot of suggestions and sources for information that make for a good starting poin ...more
Lynda
Valuable Caregiving Tool!
I have been a Geriatric Social Worker, Financial Social Worker, and caregiver for a grandparent, aunt, and parents. When I became an Elder Planning Counselor, I heard Jacqueline’s words of wisdom as she spoke at a conference and purchased Elder Rage as a learning tool. It has been empowering for me as an eldercare professional and an important part of my own wellbeing as I became a caregiver to my beloved husband. Highly recommended!
--Lynda Weinrib, Elder Planning Counse
Jacqueline Marcell
Oct 18, 2014 Jacqueline Marcell rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Announcement: I recently recorded ‘Elder Rage’ and it is now available exclusively at Amazon and Audible Books. I am honored it is a Book-of-the-Month Club selection receiving 50+ endorsements (ElderRage.com/Review.asp), 500+ 5-Star Amazon reviews, required reading at numerous universities, and considered for a film.

-Jacqueline Marcell, Author/Publisher, 'Elder Rage', Host 'Coping with Caregiving' Radio Show, International Speaker on Eldercare/Alzheimer's

Mk Czerwiec
I'm a nurse and also work in Medical Humanities where stories of illness and caregiving are highly valued. So I speak from professional as well as personal experience when I say listening to ‘Elder Rage’ helped me cope with my own challenging elderly family members – and as a result I've grown much more patient with them. Highly recommended for everyone from the family to the physician. Thank you Jacqueline!
Jacqueline Marcell
Announcement: I also recorded ‘Elder Rage’, available at Amazon and Audible Books. I am honored it is a Book-of-the-Month Club selection receiving 50+ endorsements (ElderRage.com/Review.asp), 500+ 5-Star Amazon reviews, required reading at numerous universities, and considered for a film.

-Jacqueline Marcell, Author/Publisher, 'Elder Rage', International Speaker Eldercare/Alzheimer's
Lany Kay
I purchased ‘Elder Rage’ for a friend taking care of a parent, but as I thumbed through I was immediately hooked and could not put it down! The story is poignant and comical, including great insights and resources for dealing with dreaded dementia. I highly recommend it!
Lany Kay Martell,REALTOR
Rush & Associates Realty,
Robson Ranch, Arizona,
MartellHomes4Sale.com

Laura Wood
This is a fabulous book for caregivers full of useful life hacks

If you are a caregiver this book could SAVE YOUR LIFE! Helpful and Entertaining: Wonderful book for caregivers

Once I found time to read this wonderful book, couldn't put it down. Not only is it informative, it is well written and entertaining.

I've been a full time caregiver since 2000 + prior pt (assisted father with care of Mother since 1994 until his death in1999) . I am currently caring for Mother who survived 2 strokes (Max assi
Jenni
The book was a good read, though I found that the Hollywood references became tiresome in a hurry and wished she would have just told the story without them. I was looking for practical advice, and there was some good, actionable advice about elder care included.
Alison Gates
Obviously self-published, riddled with grammatical errors and nonsensical soliloquies. However, the ending was VERY informative - if I could cut the last few chapters and hand them to anyone I know with an aging loved one, I would.
Wilhelmina
Although the premise of the book was admirable, the constant references to the entertainment industry was very tiresome. We get it.......she was in the entertainment industry in one form or another, and she must have watched a lot of television and seen a lot of movies and listened to a lot of songs, and knew lots about lives of people in that industry. But for those of us who just want to read a book about someone's family, these references were not necessary and the book could have been "tight ...more
Shirley
An honest and heart wrenching story of the sacrifices necessary to properly care for our aging parents. A real eye opener in regards to the costs, both in dollars and emotion.
Cheri
A few good tips & humorous stories, but writing style was poor and could have been parsed substantially.
Heather
Great story. Really motivates you to plan ahead and buy long-term care insurance. That and fight the system!
Stephanie
I just wish I had read this book three years ago. Sure the pop culture references were distracting, but the story was REAL and resonated with my own experience. The Physician's Guide, Behavior Modification, Resource list and Recommended Reading list are invaluable. I admire Jackie's honesty and candor and I understand the power of humor in dealing with these types of horrific circumstances. I don't think anyone can judge caregivers who are are navigating the rescue and care of parents with demen ...more
Pat
Dec 14, 2013 Pat rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone caring for an aging loved one.
Recommended to Pat by: A Facebook friend
A good book and helpful resource. Initially, when I started reading it, I wasn't sure I was going to like it as the author seemed to make a lot of jokes that felt like they distracted from the story. However, I got used to her style and saw it as part of her, having spent time working in the media and around performers.

The author details her experience caring for two aging parents in various stages of dementia, her father's being the worst. Hence, the book title.

Anyone caring for an aging love
Elaine C. Pereira
Jacqueline Marcell's book Elder Rage rings so true for caregivers everywhere! I know, I've been there too! Elder Rage is honest and humorous, on point while "on the potty," helpful and hilarious all at the same time. Although often presented with an uplifting perspective, Jacqueline's virtually never ending drama with her dad with Alzheimer's was very real and personal. Laughing while crying is a survival technique very common with caregivers.

Under the layers of laughter, however, is a "how to"
Dorota
I had only intended to skim this book after I heard an interview with the author on the radio - I'm nowhere near the stages (I hope) of dealing with this situation myself for hopefully a good long time, but the day my hold came in to the library I happened to be an hour early for an appointment and sat down to read it and found myself sitting in a corner weeping while glued to the pages.
Her writing style is peppered with annoying movie-references, but if you can get past that or better yet just
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
JACQUELINE MARCELL barely survived as a caregiver to her (once-adoring) 'challenging' father and sweet mother, both with Alzheimer’s undiagnosed for over a year. But after fighting through the medical system and depleting her parents’ life savings and much of her own, she figured everything out medically, behaviorally, socially, legally, financially and emotionally.

Passion to save others (especial
More about Jacqueline Marcell...
Moving Your Aging Parents: Fulfilling Their Needs and Yours Before, During, and After the Move Caregiving Tips A-Z: Alzheimer's & Other Dementias