Bridgman's Complete Guide To Drawing From Life

Bridgman's Complete Guide To Drawing From Life

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  1,947 ratings  ·  11 reviews
It's the largest, most comprehensive, most authoritative guide to life drawing ever published...and it is now in paperback for the first time ever! Over 1,000 fine illustrations of the human anatomy appear in a single volume, accompanied by detailed explanatory text; an entire education in artistic anatomic structure. A legendary teacher at New York's Art Students' League,...more
Paperback
Published 2002 by Sterling Publishing Company, Inc (first published February 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Bridgman's Complete Guide To Drawing From Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bridgman's Complete Guide To Drawing From Life

Frank Reynoso
This book is a must for any aspiring comics artist. It's kicking my ass but I'm learning a hell of a lot about the human anatomy or the flesh machine as I like to call it.

I'm doing what all professionals advise: draw everything in this book!
Richard Haddad
Sep 23, 2013 Richard Haddad rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Beginner to Advanced artists
Recommended to Richard by: Parka
Shelves: anatomy
George Bridgman's illustrations are, at first glance, not as appealing as you'd like. However, as you read his information and try to understand what hes's showing, you start to build an appreciation for his work.

In his "Complete Guide to Drawing from Life", Bridgman takes the human figure step by step explaining the function and shape of every part of the human body.

I recommend this book to anyone wanting to understand figure drawing. This book is great for all levels of artists. There is a lot...more
Serge Pierro
Although I have several of the books included within this collection, I was hoping that the additional books would provide further insight into Bridgman's methodology. But, alas it was more of the same. I just don't seem to "get" Bridgman, the same way others do. Don't get me wrong... Bridgman does include some interesting material, and for some people, that information may be beneficial, but I believe that there are far better books currently available.
Becky
Oct 12, 2008 Becky is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: always-reading
My teacher recommended copying every picture in this book. Since I'll probably only be able to complete 3 or 4 drawings a week and there are thousands - I guess I'll be always reading it.
Parka

(More pictures at parkablogs.com)

There are a couple of George Bridgman anatomy books if you look around. If you just want one Bridgman anatomy book, Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing from Life is the book for you. It essentially collects most of the illustrations and commentary from his other books.

This edition is published by Sterling and it's much larger than the Dover editions. It's also thicker at 352 pages. Books included here are:

* Bridgman's Life Drawing
* Constructive Anatomy
* The...more
Jeanne Stumbaugh
This is my all-time favorite book on life drawing. It was the first book I read about figure drawing. Previous to finding this book I had never gave any thought to what goes underneath the skin or proportion, or that these things really even existed. I just drew and if it seemed okay looking, then I was satisfied. After this book, I was unsatisfied with what I'd been doing. I began PAYING ATTENTION and applying that to my work. And it showed, when I compare the work I did before and the work I d...more
Pat Loughery
A very helpful look at the structure and anatomy of the person. Quite a bit farther along than my skill is at, but this would be a great shelf reference.
Amy M
I could definitely see this as being a great resource for artists, but I found the poor print quality made it hard to focus.
Jedkimball
Great to have all texts into one.
Mary Ahmed
Mary Ahmed marked it as to-read
Souvik Chakraborty
Souvik Chakraborty marked it as to-read
Crys Stephens
Crys Stephens marked it as to-read
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Masha
Masha marked it as to-read
Heba Hammad
Heba Hammad marked it as to-read
Erin Di stefano
Erin Di stefano marked it as to-read
Shawn Amey
Shawn Amey marked it as to-read
Kathy Davidson
Kathy Davidson marked it as to-read
Julian Patton
Julian Patton marked it as to-read
Attilio Bosisio
Attilio Bosisio marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
  • The Artist's Complete Guide to Facial Expression
  • Drawing the Head and Hands
  • Drawing Realistic Textures in Pencil
  • The Practice and Science of Drawing
  • Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist
  • Classical Drawing Atelier: A Contemporary Guide to Traditional Studio Practice
  • Color and Light: A Guide for the Realist Painter
  • Dynamic Figure Drawing
  • Keys to Drawing with Imagination: Strategies and Exercises for Gaining Confidence and Enhancing Creativity
  • Drawing the Head and Figure
  • Drawing Lessons from the Great Masters: 100 Great Drawings Analyzed, Figure Drawing Fundamentals Defined
  • The Artist's Complete Guide to Figure Drawing: A Contemporary Perspective On the Classical Tradition
  • Perspective! for Comic Book Artists
  • Drawn to Life: 20 Golden Years of Disney Master Classes: The Walt Stanchfield Lectures - Volume 1
  • John Howe Fantasy Art Workshop
  • How to Draw What You See
  • The Animator's Survival Kit: A Manual of Methods, Principles, and Formulas for Classical, Computer, Games, Stop Motion and Internet Animators
  • Alla Prima: Everything I Know about Painting
Constructive Anatomy Bridgman's Life Drawing The Book of a Hundred Hands The Human Machine Heads, Features and Faces