Start by marking “Sweet Annie” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Sweet Annie

Cheryl St.John

Sweet Annie (The Copper Creek Brides #1)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  328 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Annie Sweetwater wasn’t like other girls. All her life everyone she’d ever known had told her so. Except Luke Carpenter, who never let her limp blind him to seeing her as she really was: a woman grown, full of dreams, desires and hopes for a future — with him!
Published 2001 by Harlequin

To ask other readers questions about Sweet Annie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweet Annie

Lovetoread
Once in a while a book comes along that touches you. As I read Sweet Annie, I realized I was reading one of those special stories. I am a huge fan of Cheryl St. John. She has never shied away from difficult subjects in her novels. In her story Sweet Annie, Annie Sweetwater is a young woman who was born with a bad leg and lives in a wheelchair, never permitted to do anything that might endanger her by her overprotective family. On her tenth birthday party, a visiting Luke Carpenter,14 years old, ...more
Ridley
I was really enjoying this story of a disabled woman breaking out of her shell and demanding people see her as the fully-actualized woman she was, until the author went and annoyed me at the end. Until then, it was a lovely story of two people who left lasting impressions on each other as children falling in love many years later as adults. Luke was patient, determined and kind as he encouraged Annie to live life on her own terms. Both laughed, loved and enjoyed life just a little bit more in ea ...more
Alex
Annie Sweetwater has always been different from the rest of her family and friends in the small town of Copper Creek, Colorado. She was born with a bad hip that makes her limp. Her family adores her but also are over protective of her, at times thinking of her as a doll rather than a person.

When she was ten years old, Annie met Luke Carpenter - who had just moved to Copper Creek with his uncle - and he made her two wonderful gifts: took her for a horse ride, and he treated her like a normal girl
Tiffany
ANNIE SWEETWATER WAS A LITTLE CRIPLED YOUNG WOMAN, BUT THAT DID NOT STOP HER FOR MARRYING THE GORGEOUS LUKE CARPENTER. SHE LOVED HIM, SINCE SHE WAS TEN YEARS OLD AND NEVER FORGOT, HOW HE TREATED HER AS A PERSON AND NOT A WEAK LITTLE GIRL, LIKE HER PARENTS AND BROTHER. HE GAVE HER, HER INDEPENDENCE, THAT SHE ALWAYS WANTED!!!
Linda
Book #1 in the Copper Creek Bride Series

"Out of all the men who could have ridden into her life and received her favor, he'd been the one she wanted. He would do anything for her, anything to please her, anything to see her smile, hear her laugh, win her kiss."
-------
"Look at you. You're a strong, healthy man. Why would you want a girl like Annie, who can't possibly do everything a normal woman can? Those words pierced Luke's heart- and lodged anger in his soul."
-------
......"Lord, she was a tal
Christy Stewart
I'm torn here...I want to give this a horrible rating but I liked the character Annie...

First off, having a limp because one leg is longer than the other is a cheap ass way of writing a crippled character. Own it and give her something really gimpy; this is fiction, I want DRAMA!

Second, this is yet another cripple-discovers-s/he-is-more-capable-than-previously-thought-once-a-3rd-party-treats-them-like-a-normal-person. I know this seems like it's not a bad thing but I cannot get on my milk carton
R. Dewitt
I loved this sweet love story! It was uplifting and simple with just enough drama to keep you interested! I did get frustrated at one or two points in the book, but that is also why I loved it. If there was no drama or misunderstandings, there would be no story. I teared up while reading twice. Very well written and the characters are lovable. It is a must read for anyone wanting a simple historical !
Caitlyn
Very nice sweet historical (western) romance. I always enjoy this author. Her stories are simple yet complicated at the same time. In Sweet Annie the hero and heroine really work to be together despite family odds. But then life throws them a curve ball that tests them greatly.
Jessica
Great storyline, tender romance showing the vulnerabilities of the two protagonists. Nicely developed plot and characters too.
Janani
It was a beautiful book conveying a beautiful message
"When you love someone dearly, you love them with all their flaws"
Sandy Gordon
A very sweet read. Love books written by Cheryl St John.
Ruth Meriba
Matame, la cosa más romántica que he leído.
Terri
it is wondeful story I enjoyed it.
Katie(babs)
Sweet Annie is one of Cheryl St. John's most inspiring and "sweet" romances perfect for any teen or adult. Annie is one woman, even though lame with one leg, has the willpower and need to be normal like most women her age. Her parents treat her like she is a fragile doll because of her handicap. But that doesn't stop Annie from walking and loving Jacob her soul mate.

Aw Jacob! What a man. He feels he is not good enough for Annie but like two moths to a flame, they can't stay away from each other
Kylie
Annie is a girl who has always been given everything any girl could ever want, well anything but the option to have her own opinions. This was the very first time I had read an American based historical romance and anything by Cheryl St.John. In response to both I have to say that I was quite impressed.

Mary Lauer
Cheryl St. John has an amazing ability to write very human characters. Even if the story is hackneyed, her characters make the read worthwhile.
Iowa
Classic Cheryl St. John, a well-crafted story and characters you care about!
Jami
Jami marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Diana Wilkin
Diana Wilkin marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Iraida  Corral Bueno
Iraida Corral Bueno marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Anja
Anja marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
  • The Borrowed Bride (Seavers Brides, #1)
  • Snowflakes and Stetsons
  • A Taste Of Heaven
  • Texas Destiny (Texas Trilogy, #1)
  • Short Straw Bride
  • When a Texan Gambles (Wife Lottery, #2)
  • Mustang Wild (Wild, #1)
  • A Convenient Wife (Montana Mavericks: The Historicals)
  • Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold
  • The Wives of Bowie Stone
  • Heartland Wedding (After the Storm: The Founding Years, #2)
  • The Bride Raffle
  • Cherish
  • Heart of the West
Cheryl is the author of more than fifty books. Her first book, Rain Shadow was nominated for Romance Writers of America’s RITA Award for Best First Book, by Romantic Times Magazine for Best Western Historical, and by Affaire de Coeur readers as Best American Historical Romance. Since then she has received three more RITA nominations, a Writer’s Digest award for a feature article, and several Roman ...more
More about Cheryl St.John...

The Copper Creek Brides (2 books)
  • His Secondhand Wife
His Secondhand Wife The Tenderfoot Bride The Preacher's Wife Joe's Wife Land of Dreams