Start by marking “A Promise Given” as Want to Read:

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  376 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
A Promise Given

The proud head of his Highland clan, Ian MacGregor has returned, cloaked in secrets, to the place where he spent many carefree years, in order to marry Margaret Kincaid--the lowlands lass to whom he has been betrothed since his youth. But it is the wild spirited and hauntingly beautiful Sabrina Kincaid who catches Ian's eye. And when Margaret mysteriously va
Published January 1st 1998 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about A Promise Given, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Promise Given

A Rose for Lancaster by Christine Elaine BlackThe Bride by Julie GarwoodHonor's Splendour by Julie GarwoodHighland Courage by Ceci GiltenanThe V Girl by Mya Robarts
No cheating Hero Romance Novels
37th out of 138 books — 66 voters
Born in Sin by Kinley MacGregorTaming the Highland Bride by Lynsay SandsTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Convenient Groom by Denise HunterDanger in the Shadows by Dee Henderson
Books I Need to Review
81st out of 186 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Lover of Romance
A Promise Given is one of the classics of Samantha James. Its a re-read for me, but its been a few years since I have read it. I wanted to read this one because I hadn't read it in a while, and I was in the mood for a love story among the highlands. Which is where this story takes place, when William Wallace and Robert the Bruce were fighting against England for Scotland(Samantha James Website). Its a turbulant time to be sure, it starts out in the 1300's. Sabrina Kincaid is one of the daughters ...more
Lynsey A
Decent read but not as good as other Samantha James books I've read. The villians were quite obvious from the get go and sometimes I wanted to smack the heroine for doubting the hero. It just seemed ridiculous she believed, however briefly, that he was a murderer when he never once hurt her in any way. Even when he thought she'd given herself to another man he didn't treat her horribly. (She didn't, btw. She just told him that).

I wouldn't recommend this one to read as a first time Samantha James
Mayu
Samantha me gusta mucho en histórica-victoriana, pero en histórica-medieval no. En la medieval le falta toda la chispa que tiene en la victoriana.

Debo admitir que medieval suya solo he leído esta, pero me dejó un sabor amargo.

Esperaba encontrar una preciosa historia de amor, especialmente porque los protagonistas se conocían desde niños y acababan de reencontrarse. Ella le amaba pero él la odiaba, cosa que ella no entendía, y que yo como lectora tampoco llegué a comprender.

Me faltó romanticis
Maura
Cindy
Jun 19, 2015 Cindy rated it did not like it
Medieval Scottish romance with really bad sex. (more on that later). Copyright 1998.

I have a stack of about 7 or 8 SJ books. I can't tell you the plot of a single one, since reading them some years ago. That's usually a bad sign. Since I kept this one, I assumed this would be an enjoyable Scottish romp. I really liked it up until about the 5th chapter. Then I became bored out of my mind & really disliking these 2 dunderheads known as the male & female lead. Geez, they're in their 20s &
Kathryn
Jun 12, 2011 Kathryn rated it really liked it
As much as i love Samantha James books the plot to this one seemed a little rushed, there were still things that i don't understand like why was Sabrina hated by her father and sister likewise what did Ian ever do for his cousin (Alasdir) to want to destroy him? despite some unanswered questions i loved the characters together especially the pranks they pulled as children.
Fira Rosli
Jan 06, 2012 Fira Rosli rated it liked it
Yup. That's right. This book deserves three stars only due to many reasons. Don't get me wrong, I really do love Samantha James writings and had loved her other books........but just not this one.

You know why? This book is entirely and utterly confusing to me. Not confusing in a way that mindfucked your brain like the movie Inception or a book that contained many mystery plots, but in fact the way how she set out an display her characters in here.

I am so perplexed at both Ian's and Sabrina's f
Julie
Oct 17, 2014 Julie rated it it was amazing
wonderful loved every minute of it one of my favourite authors
GuisBell
Feb 29, 2016 GuisBell rated it liked it
Shelves: lo-normal
Mucha terquedad y desconfianza para mi gusto :(
tired
Mar 14, 2014 tired rated it it was ok
It was 2.5 the writing was good but I don't like violence in my books
Rosa
May 26, 2014 Rosa rated it it was amazing
I love it! I finished this book in one a day!
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Aug 13, 2011 Rebecca (everyday reader) rated it really liked it
Ian was a carefree lad until life changed him into a wary, brave man. Sabrina has always been a spirited, independent, strong person, who was always treated poorly by her father and seen as lacking compared to her older sister. They knew each other as children, and seeing each other again after ten years makes sparks fly for both. Family betrayals and mysteries are discovered and Sabrina realizes her worth. Good read!!
Ana
Mar 04, 2013 Ana rated it it was amazing
Ian is the quintessial alpha male, in a very good way. Sabrina, one of my preferred heroines. Though a small part made me extremely sad at the end, this remains one of my favorite medieval romances of all time.
Jen
Mar 02, 2011 Jen rated it did not like it
aw man...this was a replica of the book I read before this by Samantha James.
What a huge disappointment!
David A. Carey
Aug 24, 2013 David A. Carey rated it really liked it
Definitely a "Chick Flick" of a book but I enjoyed it.
Danette Steward
Aug 22, 2012 Danette Steward rated it really liked it
Shelves: james-samantha
Highlander.
Irmaria
Irmaria marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Nareh
Nareh marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Ali Chapman
Ali Chapman rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2016
Renee
Renee rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2016
Karen Martinez
Karen Martinez rated it it was ok
Apr 02, 2016
Maria Forrest
Maria Forrest rated it really liked it
May 02, 2016
Angel
Angel rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2016
Rebecca Bell
Rebecca Bell marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
Arianne
Arianne marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
Chris Coulson
Chris Coulson rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2016
  • The Bewitching Twin (Twin, #2)
  • One Snowy Knight (The Dragons of Challon, #3)
  • My Only Love
  • Betrayed
  • Lord of Desire (The Risande Family, #1)
  • The Lover
  • Claimed By a Scottish Lord (Mystical Bliss, #2)
  • The Night Before The Wedding
  • Highland Hawk (Highland Brides, #7)
  • Highland Hellcat (Highlander, #2)
  • A Taste of Sin (Sin Trilogy, #1)
  • One Man's Love (The Highland Lords, #1)
  • Lespada
  • Annabelle's Courtship
  • Innocence Undone (Kingsland, #1)
  • Only for a Knight (MacKenzie, #3)
  • To the Castle
Growing up in Joliet, Illinois, Samantha James had many childhood aspirations--being a writer was never one of them. When she was ten, she was certain she was destined to be an astronomer. That soon changed (happened a lot during those pre-teen years!) when she decided archaeology was in her future. Detective work was her next goal, thanks to the Trixie Belden mysteries she was reading, and before ...more
More about Samantha James...