Start by marking “Why Paint Cats: The Ethics of Feline Aesthetics” as Want to Read:
Why Paint Cats: The Ethics of Feline Aesthetics

Why Paint Cats: The Ethics of Feline Aesthetics

Why did a woman in California pay an artist $5,000 to paint her cat to look like a pig? What made a New York stockbroker spend even more than that to have the image of Charlie Chaplin painted on his cat'?s posterior? WHY PAINT CATS reveals that, far from being an amusement for the idle rich, this seemingly aberrant behavior is part of a new art movement that claims to prom ...more
Published August 8th 2002 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about Why Paint Cats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Paint Cats

Brian
Mar 07, 2013 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why NOT paint cats? When you have ten grand burning a hole in your pocket and a cat that can sit still for a painting, this book will give you some great ideas from those trailblazers who have gone boldly before you. The Charlie Chaplin painted on the hindquarters of a cat using its a-hole as the bowtie is the Sistine Chapel of feline artistry.
jenna
May 28, 2009 jenna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: You!
Now, compared to Silver's "Dancing with Cats", I did not find this book as funny, however I still highly recommend reading it for a laugh. As a therapist I was especially taken by Egypto-Feline Deification Infusion Training (EDIT for short), a therapeutic model sweeping Arizona in which Egyption rituals with painted cats are used to work out trauma and anxiety (yes, you read that right), i.e. Mary had a problem with her fertility so naturally...
"Exercises included crouching over Casper [the cat
Brenda ╰☆╮
I loved this book. It is great for the coffee table and definitely a conversation piece.
**********************************
spoiler ahead

You have been warned!

(view spoiler)
Kathleen Dixon
Sep 15, 2009 Kathleen Dixon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour, animals, art
The only thing I didn't like about this book is the huge quantity of very, very funny satire. It's too much to read quickly, but I had to get it back to the library unfortunately.

The Wikipedia article says that a lot of people didn't realise that this book is not REAL. Apparently there were many who were trying to find out where they could get hold of the artists and have their own cats painted, and there were others who got all up-tight about the ethics of painting cats. But it's a joke!

The ov
Cara
Nov 23, 2009 Cara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first thought this was just a bunch of photos of painted cats, but it turns out that it's much more scholarly than I realized. The photos are accompanied by exploration of various aspects of the ethics and philosophy of cat painting. It also raises some interesting questions like, are cats aware of their color?

Addendum:
After reading some other reviews of this book and doing a little research, I am now aware that this book is a spoof and the "photos" are computer-generated. Bizarre! It has a bi
Jennifer B.
Jun 29, 2016 Jennifer B. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely pictures. It was hard to get the cats to stay still for me to recreate the ideas within, however.
Gina
Apr 01, 2016 Gina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a picture book, just enjoy it.
Cecily Erker
First of all, I thought this book was ridiculous when I first looked at it. Why would people spend time and money painting cats? Then I looked through it and saw that they had made some pretty cool paintings, and the cats didn't look like they were in pain or pissed off. Give this to the crazy cat lady in your life.
Dani
Nov 20, 2013 Dani rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, animals
If you are in need of a WTF moment, I recommend picking this book up. As the title suggests, this book is all about painting cats. Seriously. And the people featured in this book take their art form very seriously...I just wonder how the cats feel about it...
Tiffany
Jul 13, 2008 Tiffany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got this book as a Christmas gift. It was a joke, because my family thinks that I may end up being a crazy cat lady. But the book is stunning. The photographs are amazing, and each cat is really truly a work of art.
Tara
Jul 17, 2013 Tara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All cats deserve to be painted. Paint away, cat owners. Paint away.
Ysabet
Jul 15, 2007 Ysabet rated it really liked it
...well, kind of non-fiction. A lot of fun to browse through.
Meghan
May 18, 2007 Meghan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cat lovers & tolerators
Beautiful artistic book! And the cats are so cute!
Lulu
Dec 26, 2011 Lulu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Stunning, gorgeous, amusing, adorable ...more
Kate
Jul 28, 2007 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alwaysonhand
i give it five for entertainment value.
Jason Hullinger
Aug 04, 2009 Jason Hullinger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
amazing and hilarious book
Abraham Ray
May 01, 2015 Abraham Ray rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
nice art book!
Kitten
Kitten rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2016
Gina
Gina added it
Sep 18, 2016
Deni Junaedi (Deni Je)
Deni Junaedi (Deni Je) marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Kelsey
Kelsey marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Andrew
Andrew rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2016
Natamity
Natamity rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2016
Charlene
Charlene rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2016
Julie Kessel
Julie Kessel marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Brianna Beveridge
Brianna Beveridge marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
  • The New Yorker Book of Cat Cartoons
  • How to Live with a Neurotic Cat
  • I Am Maru
  • The Art of Clean Up: Life Made Neat and Tidy
  • The Golden Cat (The Wild Road #2)