Start by marking “The Purveyor of Enchantment” as Want to Read:
The Purveyor of Enchantment

The Purveyor of Enchantment

3.01 of 5 stars 3.01  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Contemporary Romance Large Print Edition A funny, modern-day fairy tale: recommended for all fiction collections . . . Thank goodness for new writers like Cobbold.
Hardcover, Large Print, 277 pages
Published June 1st 1998 by Thorndike Press (first published November 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Purveyor of Enchantment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Purveyor of Enchantment

Tracey Watson
Yes well I'm slightly unsure how to rate this one, it certainly didn't live up to my expectations so I gave it three stars. I wouldn't say it was an awful book but it just didn't seem to be going anywhere. I must say that Miranda Hart was in my mind whilst reading, she would be a perfect cast though just not as funny. It was an easy read, not as funny as I would have liked and with a obvious ending. I wouldn't really recommend it to my family or friends as I found it a bit of a wasted read, but ...more
Clementine is a worrier. She is the sort of woman who does not buy a lottery ticket in case she wins and is murdered for her money. Having lived in Sweden for several years, her marriage has ended, and she has returned to England to live in a house inherited from her Aunt Elvira. Her half sister Ophelia, petite and carefree, shares the house with her. Clementine spends her time working on making her Aunt’s fairytales into a book, and giving piano lessons. She befriends old Mr Scott next door and ...more
Trudy E
This book was loaned to me by my daughter, who had very mixed feelings about the story.
I find myself in the same dilemma. Sympathizing with Clementine about being above average height, it was not hard to understand feeling clumsy and different from others. Many women can understand wondering if they'll ever find that special someone, or wondering if the one you find will destroy you before all is said and done. I found it sad that she had so little love and support from her best friend and her s
This was an ok read. To be honest, I hated the writing style in the first few chapters, so I'm secretly pleased I grew to tolerate it. The main character is a nervous woman who doesn't really live life due a series of ridiculous worries. I felt the whole thing was quite cliched and there wasn't really any true character development, despite the storyline suggesting there was. Wouldn't recommend as there are better novels out there.
Not much story & no likeable characters.
A lovely book! Clementine's enjoyment of life is curtailed because of her fear of everything. She cannot do the simplest thing without being ruled by worry, which threatens her chances of being happy in love. The book is written with Marika Cobbold's usual light-as-a-feather touch interwoven with original humour, dark and hilarious. Clementine is a charming heroine, and I challenge anybody to read this without identifying with some of her obsessions and fears - her cautious use of a public loo i ...more
Funny, endearing and infectious - a lovely light read!
What rot. The last page was especially dire!
The story itself was a bit simplistic, the characters a bit wooden, but I really liked the style of writing, sip huh made the book entertaining and also somehow believable. I'd read more by this author.
Hilary Tesh
Almost everyone worries about something; Clementine worries about everything and it rules her life. Finally, something happens to spur her into changing her ways. For me, this book did not deliver what the blurb promised. There was little to enchant. However, it is difficult to believe this book was written before Miranda Hart rose to fame. The part of Clementine in a dramatisation would definitely be hers!
Clementine Hope is fortyish divorced with a very comfortable middle class provincial life and sleeps with a condom under her pillow in case a rapist breaks in. Her timidity leaves her a perpetual onlooker can she change and take the risks that simply loving requires? I enjoyed this amusing, wry and incredibly middle class story. Luckily The Guardian says she is a feminist writer so thats okay.
MB (What she read)
Re-read 7/14/10. I don't think I noticed when I read this the first time that Cobbold used The Fillyjonk Who Believed in Disasters as a theme for this book. How cool is that? And how did I miss that one?

(3.5 stars for me)

I wasn't as thrilled with this book as I had hoped to be, but over all it was a pretty good read. It certainly made me go through the whole gamut of emotions, from mirthful disbelief over Clementine's antics, to dispair at the seeming hopelessness of her situation, to relief at the happy ending with which all good fairy tales finally resolve.
I really enjoyed this book! It's been so long that I've read fiction that I can't put down (except for mysteries). This was a "just right" book: well-written, clever, intriguing, and romantic (which I usually don't like!). It's a cozy book with a a fairy-tale heroine through which one can expel one's own dragons vicariously.
Angie Perkins
Definitely a three star book - I did enjoy it, but it didn't completely grab me. By three quarters of the way through Clementine was starting to irritate me a little (although to be fair, I am pretty sure this was the author's intention). An enjoyable enough read but not, I think, one to re-read.
What was the purpose of this book? I'm not saying it was terrible but there really was not much character development and Clementine just started to say she was in love with Nathaniel without any real thoguht or interaction with the man.
I'm afraid I gave up half way through this book - just couldn't get into it. I'll bookcross it tomorrow. There are too many other books that I want to read!
Angela Joyce
As clever as the humor is, I was so put off by the toxic relationship between the two sisters that I mainly felt sad as I read this.
Read in one go (for 2nd time) on day after Boxing Day morning, in bed!
Shame this book didn't live up to the enticing title....
Karen Cockerill
Karen Cockerill marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Jodie Case
Jodie Case marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Amy marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Beth marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
  • Up With the Larks: Starting Again in Cornwall
  • Utopian Man
  • A Little Folly
  • The Oxford Book of English Detective Stories
  • Hope Springs (Hope Springs #2)
  • Buffy Chronicles : The Unofficial  Companion to Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • Cities of the Dead (Michael Spraugge Mystery #4)
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 1998
  • Reading by Lightning
  • Life's Too F***Ing Short: A Guide to Getting What You Want Out of Life Without Wasting Time, Effort or Money
  • Aerodynamics of Pork
  • A Stain on the Silence
  • The Bed I Made
I was born in Gothenburg Sweden into a family of readers and writers. My father is a newspaper editor and columnist, as is my brother. My mother, who stayed at home looking after the family, furnished the walls of every room with shelves full of books. We were a family that read and discussed and whereas there were restrictions about what we were allowed to watch on TV, and comic books were discou ...more
More about Marika Cobbold...
Drowning Rose Guppies For Tea Frozen Music Aphrodite's Workshop for Reluctant Lovers Shooting Butterflies