Start by marking “The Purveyor of Enchantment” as Want to Read:
The Purveyor of Enchantment

The Purveyor of Enchantment

Thirty-something and newly divorced, Clementine lives in a small Hampshire town, teaching piano and working on a collection of fairy tales left to her by her great aunt Elvira. But mostly she worries. She worries about the rising crime rate. She worries about disease and illness, about offending God, and, in the rare moments when she actually is at peace with Him, about up ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 292 pages
Published June 1st 1998 by Thorndike Press (first published November 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Purveyor of Enchantment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Purveyor of Enchantment

Tracey Watson
Yes well I'm slightly unsure how to rate this one, it certainly didn't live up to my expectations so I gave it three stars. I wouldn't say it was an awful book but it just didn't seem to be going anywhere. I must say that Miranda Hart was in my mind whilst reading, she would be a perfect cast though just not as funny. It was an easy read, not as funny as I would have liked and with a obvious ending. I wouldn't really recommend it to my family or friends as I found it a bit of a wasted read, but ...more
Ape
Oct 19, 2013 Ape rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: england
Anna
Aug 14, 2011 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clementine is a worrier. She is the sort of woman who does not buy a lottery ticket in case she wins and is murdered for her money. Having lived in Sweden for several years, her marriage has ended, and she has returned to England to live in a house inherited from her Aunt Elvira. Her half sister Ophelia, petite and carefree, shares the house with her. Clementine spends her time working on making her Aunt’s fairytales into a book, and giving piano lessons. She befriends old Mr Scott next door and ...more
Trudy E
Sep 08, 2012 Trudy E rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was loaned to me by my daughter, who had very mixed feelings about the story.
I find myself in the same dilemma. Sympathizing with Clementine about being above average height, it was not hard to understand feeling clumsy and different from others. Many women can understand wondering if they'll ever find that special someone, or wondering if the one you find will destroy you before all is said and done. I found it sad that she had so little love and support from her best friend and her s
Sue
Feb 01, 2013 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lovely book! Clementine's enjoyment of life is curtailed because of her fear of everything. She cannot do the simplest thing without being ruled by worry, which threatens her chances of being happy in love. The book is written with Marika Cobbold's usual light-as-a-feather touch interwoven with original humour, dark and hilarious. Clementine is a charming heroine, and I challenge anybody to read this without identifying with some of her obsessions and fears - her cautious use of a public loo i ...more
Hilary Tesh
Almost everyone worries about something; Clementine worries about everything and it rules her life. Finally, something happens to spur her into changing her ways. For me, this book did not deliver what the blurb promised. There was little to enchant. However, it is difficult to believe this book was written before Miranda Hart rose to fame. The part of Clementine in a dramatisation would definitely be hers!
Katie
Jul 24, 2014 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an ok read. To be honest, I hated the writing style in the first few chapters, so I'm secretly pleased I grew to tolerate it. The main character is a nervous woman who doesn't really live life due a series of ridiculous worries. I felt the whole thing was quite cliched and there wasn't really any true character development, despite the storyline suggesting there was. Wouldn't recommend as there are better novels out there.
Michelle
I really enjoyed this book! It's been so long that I've read fiction that I can't put down (except for mysteries). This was a "just right" book: well-written, clever, intriguing, and romantic (which I usually don't like!). It's a cozy book with a a fairy-tale heroine through which one can expel one's own dragons vicariously.
Simeonberesford
Clementine Hope is fortyish divorced with a very comfortable middle class provincial life and sleeps with a condom under her pillow in case a rapist breaks in. Her timidity leaves her a perpetual onlooker can she change and take the risks that simply loving requires? I enjoyed this amusing, wry and incredibly middle class story. Luckily The Guardian says she is a feminist writer so thats okay.
MB (What she read)
Re-read 7/14/10. I don't think I noticed when I read this the first time that Cobbold used The Fillyjonk Who Believed in Disasters as a theme for this book. How cool is that? And how did I miss that one?

(3.5 stars for me)

Ashley
Apr 28, 2012 Ashley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't as thrilled with this book as I had hoped to be, but over all it was a pretty good read. It certainly made me go through the whole gamut of emotions, from mirthful disbelief over Clementine's antics, to dispair at the seeming hopelessness of her situation, to relief at the happy ending with which all good fairy tales finally resolve.
Michele
Apr 07, 2015 Michele rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
Sarahjayne
Aug 29, 2015 Sarahjayne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story itself was a bit simplistic, the characters a bit wooden, but I really liked the style of writing, sip huh made the book entertaining and also somehow believable. I'd read more by this author.
Angie Perkins
Definitely a three star book - I did enjoy it, but it didn't completely grab me. By three quarters of the way through Clementine was starting to irritate me a little (although to be fair, I am pretty sure this was the author's intention). An enjoyable enough read but not, I think, one to re-read.
Lee
Aug 12, 2012 Lee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What was the purpose of this book? I'm not saying it was terrible but there really was not much character development and Clementine just started to say she was in love with Nathaniel without any real thoguht or interaction with the man.
Lou Nixon
Jun 09, 2016 Lou Nixon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yeah...another goodun' from Marika Cobbold. I'm sad now because I only have one book of hers left to read.
This one was querky and ultimately uplifting, a short read but a nice one.
Penny
Jul 17, 2014 Penny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny, endearing and infectious - a lovely light read!
Ellen
Feb 21, 2016 Ellen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Strange story that never really takes off. A disappointment
Madkindle
Dec 26, 2011 Madkindle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Read in one go (for 2nd time) on day after Boxing Day morning, in bed!
Grace_Notes
Shame this book didn't live up to the enticing title....
Amy
Aug 14, 2015 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyable and an easy read.
Lucy Mason
Dec 15, 2015 Lucy Mason rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, 2015
Annoying characters and false dialogue.
Angela Joyce
As clever as the humor is, I was so put off by the toxic relationship between the two sisters that I mainly felt sad as I read this.
Wendy
Sep 01, 2009 Wendy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm afraid I gave up half way through this book - just couldn't get into it. I'll bookcross it tomorrow. There are too many other books that I want to read!
Maria
Maria rated it it was ok
Jan 29, 2013
Kell Andrews
Kell Andrews rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2014
Cynthia Smith
Cynthia Smith rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2016
Moira Broadway
Moira Broadway rated it it was ok
Jan 17, 2013
Barbara
Barbara rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2012
Rachel
Rachel rated it did not like it
Jul 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Noah's Ark
  • The Thirty List
  • Last Will
  • Secrets and Sensibilities (The Lady Emily Capers, #1)
  • Virginia Woolf in Manhattan
  • Days of the Bagnold Summer
  • Getting a Life
  • The Soul of Kindness
  • Indelible Ink
  • A Counterfeit Betrothal (Waite, #2)
  • Something Nasty in the Woodshed
  • Strangers
I was born in Gothenburg Sweden into a family of readers and writers. My father is a newspaper editor and columnist, as is my brother. My mother, who stayed at home looking after the family, furnished the walls of every room with shelves full of books. We were a family that read and discussed and whereas there were restrictions about what we were allowed to watch on TV, and comic books were discou ...more
More about Marika Cobbold...