Start by marking “The Scream” as Want to Read:
The Scream

The Scream

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  181 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Rohinton Mistry is arguably Canada’s most beloved and popular writer. His fiction has won prestigious prizes in Canada and around the world. The Oprah’s Book Club selection of his novel A Fine Balance increased Mistry’s already large audience in North America, and in Canada alone to more than a quarter of a million readers. He is working on a new novel, as yet unscheduled, ...more
Published October 21st 2008 by McClelland & Stewart

To ask other readers questions about The Scream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Scream

I didn't read this short story in this illustrated edition, but in the collection Freedom: Stories Celebrating the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. The story fits with the theme of Mistry's Family Matters, as if it's told from the point-of-view of the same Parkinson's-afflicted patriarch, who doesn't recognize his grandson but remembers the 'big words' he's learned. He's certainly an unreliable narrator in many ways, but is he in all ways? The last line is perfect.
A fast read. Engaging and thoughtful.
One of my favorites quotes of all time:
"oh to have a scrotum as tight as a fresh fig"
The Scream comes to us from Rohinton Mistry, a wonderful Canadian author who has won many awards in Canada and internationally. I've read A Fine Balance and Family Matters and loved them. He is an amazing writer.

This novel is very small, as a matter of a fact, all total only 48 pages. However, these pages contain such a deep story. I now understand how a short story can leave a lasting impression.

The novel is set in Bombay and it tells us a single story of an old man at the end of his life. He
Satyajeet Singh
it was an easy read. I was damn happy to grab it. I had read all the other books of my favorite writer, only this one remained to be perused, finally it's happened so I'm elated.
I'm sorry not to read it in its original form. I mean couldn't afford to buy it separately as it was published exclusively for a cause of charity, btw one day I was reading a review here and came to know that it's been published in a book called Freedom stories celebrating the universal declaration of human rights, that'
Megan C
This book is very interesting. I loved the way it was written. Throughout the whole (very short) story I remained skeptical of the narrator but at the same time deeply sympathetic to his situation. Beautifully written.
Feb 21, 2009 Laura marked it as to-read
Only 48pp.! :-(
A quick but very absorbing read. I picked this book up in the library and thought I'd read the first page or two but I ended up reading the whole thing. This book is a reminder of our frailty in old age and our mortality. I felt a lot of sympathy towards the book's protagonist. This is the first book by Rohinton Mistry that I have read and I really liked his writing style. I will definitely be reading some of his other novels in the future.
a terrific short story from a one of my fav novelists. this one is both tongue in cheek (keep your dictionary handy) and spot on touching regarding agism. now, get back to long form rohinton!
Ginny Shepley
Very different, a short one sitting read. Illustrated by Tony Urquhart, together they have combined 2 art forms to create a collectors piece.
Amazing work of art.
Pretty intrestig
Kolanjimani marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Cristy Quade
Cristy Quade marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2015
Vinita Basantani
Vinita Basantani marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
Tania marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
Johanna Miller
Johanna Miller marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
Anam Hyat
Anam Hyat marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
Annoo marked it as to-read
Asha Rizor
Asha Rizor marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2015
Arshizaidi marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015
Joanne Morton
Joanne Morton marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Pooja Shah
Pooja Shah marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Giulietta marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Shivangi Sharma
Shivangi Sharma marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Guncha Kesharwani
Guncha Kesharwani marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Danielle  M
Danielle M marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
LizK marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
  • May You Be the Mother of a Hundred Sons: A Journey Among the Women of India
  • Partitions
  • Cracking India
  • A Golden Age
Rohinton Mistry is considered to be one of the foremost authors of Indian heritage writing in English. Residing in Brampton, Ontario, Canada, Mistry belongs to the Parsi Zoroastrian religious minority.

Mistry’s first novel, Such a Long Journey (1991), brought him national and international recognition. Mistry’s subsequent novels have achieved the same level of recognition as his first. His second n
More about Rohinton Mistry...
A Fine Balance Family Matters Such a Long Journey Swimming Lessons and Other Stories from Firozsha Baag Threebies: Rohinton Mistry