Start by marking “The Scream” as Want to Read:
The Scream

The Scream

3.44  ·  Rating Details  ·  204 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Rohinton Mistry is arguably Canada’s most beloved and popular writer. His fiction has won prestigious prizes in Canada and around the world. The Oprah’s Book Club selection of his novel A Fine Balance increased Mistry’s already large audience in North America, and in Canada alone to more than a quarter of a million readers. He is working on a new novel, as yet unscheduled, ...more
Published October 21st 2008 by McClelland & Stewart

To ask other readers questions about The Scream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Scream

Teresa
Oct 23, 2013 Teresa rated it really liked it
I didn't read this short story in this illustrated edition, but in the collection Freedom: Stories Celebrating the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. The story fits with the theme of Mistry's Family Matters, as if it's told from the point-of-view of the same Parkinson's-afflicted patriarch, who doesn't recognize his grandson but remembers the 'big words' he's learned. He's certainly an unreliable narrator in many ways, but is he in all ways? The last line is perfect.
Satyajeet
Jan 18, 2016 Satyajeet rated it it was amazing
it was an easy read. I was damn happy to grab it. I had read all the other books of my favorite writer, only this one remained to be perused, finally it's happened so I'm elated.
I'm sorry not to read it in its original form. I mean couldn't afford to buy it separately as it was published exclusively for a cause of charity, btw one day I was reading a review here and came to know that it's been published in a book called Freedom stories celebrating the universal declaration of human rights, that'
CoCo
Mar 23, 2013 CoCo rated it it was amazing
Brilliant.
A fast read. Engaging and thoughtful.
One of my favorites quotes of all time:
"oh to have a scrotum as tight as a fresh fig"
Akarsh Jain
Nov 10, 2015 Akarsh Jain rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
ABOUT THE BOOK:
Evocative! Enthralling! Sagacious! and Earnest...

A gem like the other three books by him. A marvel in just 48 pages. An art at its peak, and A writer at his best.

It takes a legend to move his audience in such a limited number of pages, and I had no doubt about RM's abilities when I picked 'The Scream' up. Hardly a read of around 50 minutes, but boy would it not take you to the age we all dread about. He does that so brilliantly- taking you to the ages you don't belong yet, makin
Darlene
Nov 12, 2008 Darlene rated it liked it
The Scream comes to us from Rohinton Mistry, a wonderful Canadian author who has won many awards in Canada and internationally. I've read A Fine Balance and Family Matters and loved them. He is an amazing writer.

This novel is very small, as a matter of a fact, all total only 48 pages. However, these pages contain such a deep story. I now understand how a short story can leave a lasting impression.

The novel is set in Bombay and it tells us a single story of an old man at the end of his life. He
Megan C
Apr 13, 2009 Megan C rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This book is very interesting. I loved the way it was written. Throughout the whole (very short) story I remained skeptical of the narrator but at the same time deeply sympathetic to his situation. Beautifully written.
Feb 21, 2009 Laura marked it as to-read
Only 48pp.! :-(
Ari
Jun 23, 2016 Ari rated it really liked it
"Nice read"

The Scream is a short narrative of an old man's complain and silent protest against the misunderstanding, loss of control and restricted freedom of movement that comes with old age. Strong visual image of the frustrated struggle against time and aging. I was shocked by the beauty of the first two pages, by Rohinton Mistry's magical sentences. This little book was printed as a limited edition for the fund raising effort of World Literacy of Canada. The writings were intertwined with mo
Jim Puskas
May 14, 2016 Jim Puskas rated it really liked it
Masterful!
Within these few pages, Mistry succeeds in encompassing the sum total of an old man's shrinking world, with all of its resentment, irony, wry humor, defiance. But there's no regret or despair, just a sense of loss, accompanied by a secret grin at the knowledge that "the others in the back rooms" haven't fooled him at all.
Marilyn
May 05, 2011 Marilyn rated it liked it
A quick but very absorbing read. I picked this book up in the library and thought I'd read the first page or two but I ended up reading the whole thing. This book is a reminder of our frailty in old age and our mortality. I felt a lot of sympathy towards the book's protagonist. This is the first book by Rohinton Mistry that I have read and I really liked his writing style. I will definitely be reading some of his other novels in the future.
Luce Cronin
Mar 19, 2016 Luce Cronin rated it really liked it
Very short novella , beautifully and cleverly written. Lots of food for thought.
Jim
Mar 21, 2015 Jim rated it it was amazing
a terrific short story from a one of my fav novelists. this one is both tongue in cheek (keep your dictionary handy) and spot on touching regarding agism. now, get back to long form rohinton!
Ginny Shepley
Jul 14, 2013 Ginny Shepley rated it liked it
Very different, a short one sitting read. Illustrated by Tony Urquhart, together they have combined 2 art forms to create a collectors piece.
Sameer Mawani
Apr 08, 2016 Sameer Mawani rated it liked it
Liked the writing but was a bit confused regarding the ending.

It was so short maybe I will re-read it.

Patricia
Oct 21, 2011 Patricia rated it really liked it
Amazing work of art.
Neeta
Aug 16, 2012 Neeta rated it liked it
Pretty intrestig
Bharath Ballamudi
Bharath Ballamudi marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Barry
Barry marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Vicki
Vicki marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Anita Raina
Anita Raina marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Jo
Jo rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2016
Akash Verma
Akash Verma marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Behroz T. Maneckshana
Behroz T. Maneckshana marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Kelly
Kelly is currently reading it
Jun 13, 2016
Pauline
Pauline marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Ashley Gaglardi
Ashley Gaglardi rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2016
Brenda
Brenda rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Dee Hayward
Dee Hayward marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
A
A marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Liby
Liby marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
  • Open
  • Marrying Anita: A Quest for Love in the New India
  • The Hero's Walk
  • A Matter of Time
Rohinton Mistry is considered to be one of the foremost authors of Indian heritage writing in English. Residing in Brampton, Ontario, Canada, Mistry belongs to the Parsi Zoroastrian religious minority.

Mistry’s first novel, Such a Long Journey (1991), brought him national and international recognition. Mistry’s subsequent novels have achieved the same level of recognition as his first. His second n
More about Rohinton Mistry...