Start by marking “The Riddle of Scheherazade: And Other Amazing Puzzles” as Want to Read:
The Riddle of Scheherazade: And Other Amazing Puzzles

The Riddle of Scheherazade: And Other Amazing Puzzles

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  136 ratings  ·  6 reviews
“The most entertaining logician and set theorist who ever lived” (Martin Gardner) gives us an encore to The Lady or the Tiger?-a fiendishly clever, utterly captivating new collection of 225 brainteasers, puzzles, and paradoxes.
Published November 12th 1998 by Mariner Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Riddle of Scheherazade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Riddle of Scheherazade

Angie
Jun 07, 2010 Angie is currently reading it
A great book for my short commutes - I can do a few riddles every ride and not break up a narrative or long train of thought. Probably about a third of the riddles are only simple computation, which is a disappointment. Some of the logic puzzles are just longer computations, but as the book progresses, the mix appears to be getting to better concepts. I love the tricky probability puzzlers and can only wish there were more!
Adam
Not bad -- a third of the puzzles feel like algebra or logic problems you'd find in a textbook, and there are entire chapters in which Smullyan is presenting new (albeit fascinating) ideas in logic rather than solvable puzzles, but there are an equal number of gems in here as well. Good for a long road trip with a nerdy friend.
Swarner
Raymond Smullyan is my Logician Dumbledore. I own and read every book of his I can get my hands on. Which is well over a dozen.
Bonnie Jeanne
Riddle of Scheherazade, The: And Other Amazing Puzzles, Ancient and Modern by Raymond M. Smullyan (1997)
Eric
Not as good as "King Author and his dog, but not a bad book at all"
Avinash K
For those times when you want to sharpen your "little grey cells".
Jonathan Meyer
Jonathan Meyer marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Ahmad Hasan
Ahmad Hasan marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Jeremy
Jeremy added it
Jul 04, 2015
Thomas Nichols
Thomas Nichols marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Maru Kun
Maru Kun marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Kylie Briggs
Kylie Briggs is currently reading it
May 17, 2015
Thomas Linck
Thomas Linck is currently reading it
May 05, 2015
Vivian Abe
Vivian Abe marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Adam Oliver
Adam Oliver marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Jefff
Jefff marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Sacchit
Sacchit marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
  • 5分間ミステリー
  • The Mathematical Recreations of Lewis Carroll: Pillow Problems and a Tangled Tale
  • Limits of Language: Almost Everything You Didn't Know You Didn't Know about Language and Languages
  • The Foundations of Arithmetic: A Logico-Mathematical Enquiry into the Concept of Number
  • The Joy of Pi
  • The Joy of Mathematics
  • Standard Operating Procedure
  • The Book of Numbers
  • Where Mathematics Come From: How the Embodied Mind Brings Mathematics into Being
  • The Annotated Turing: A Guided Tour Through Alan Turing's Historic Paper on Computability and the Turing Machine
  • Civilization One: The World Is Not as You Thought it Was
  • Introduction to Mathematical Philosophy
  • Managing Your Mind: The Mental Fitness Guide
  • Probability Theory: The Logic of Science
  • Spacetime Physics
  • How Do They Do That?
  • Introduction to Logic
  • The Quantum Theory of Fields: Volume I, Foundations
Raymond M. Smullyan is a logician, musician, Zen master, puzzle master, and writer.
More about Raymond M. Smullyan...
The Tao Is Silent What Is the Name of This Book? Lady or the Tiger? And Other Logic Puzzles Including a Mathematical Novel That Features Gödel's Great Discovery To Mock a Mockingbird and Other Logic Puzzles Chess Mysteries of Sherlock Holmes: Fifty Tantalizing Problems of Chess Detection