Start by marking “First Food Fight This Fall and Other School Poems” as Want to Read:
First Food Fight This Fall and Other School Poems

First Food Fight This Fall and Other School Poems

3.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  25 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
When school days roll around again, this is the perfect collection to get children back in the mood. Written by acclaimed poet Marilyn Singer, First Food Fight This Fall serves up a heaping helping of wit and humor. Each short, appealing verse is told in the voice of one or more of the pupils. Together, they paint a funny and touching picture of everyday life in the classr ...more
Published September 2nd 2008 by Sterling

To ask other readers questions about First Food Fight This Fall and Other School Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Food Fight This Fall and Other School Poems

Ch_charonbradley
Mar 20, 2010 Ch_charonbradley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Teachers need to know that this collections of poems details twelve kids that ride the bus together. They Narrate he poems to remind the readers of their school year. This is a funny and touching pictures of everyday life in the classroom: the friendly feuds, sandwich trades, field trips, science fair; the subjects kids like, the ones they don’t, their troubles and triumphs. It is an excellent read for primary grades.
Mylinh
WONDERFUL collection of poems detailing a group of students as they make their way from the first day of school to the last. Can be read as an entire tale or poems can be read separately and still make sense. The illustrations are beautiful and the poems are diverse and interesting. Might be a fun book to keep in the classroom and read from occasionally throughout the year. Would be a good book to use when introducing a section on poems and could inspire students to write about their own school ...more
Janet Squires
Oct 15, 2015 Janet Squires rated it really liked it
This collection of poems, written in student voices and employing a variety of forms, covers the school year and explores a wide range of activities, classes and experiences. The bright illustrations are equally varied and capture the mood of each poem.
Oct 06, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
This book has a great variety of poetry about school written by students. These poems could inspire students to write their own poetry. They can take style ideas from the book and decide what kind of poem they would like to write. With this book, students can see that poetry can be written about absolutely anything, but they can also see that it is best (and easiest) to write about something you feel strongly about.
Haley Sterritt
This book would be such a useful resource to have for almost any time of the year. It is a collection of poems that cover a wide range of days throughout the school year from the first day to a rainy day to field trips and picture day. I could use this to read a poem directly related to the day of the year or to introduce poetry in general.
Halee
Dec 09, 2015 Halee rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
This was a book I read for the first-time with my reading buddy last week and we enjoyed it together. It is full of short poems that are funny, exciting, and very eventful. It even has a pretty catchy title that goes right along with our soon to be fall season. It was perfect. This book would suit younger elementary students best.
Meredith
Sep 01, 2011 Meredith rated it really liked it
I LOVE the artwork. And the kids all seem to have good experiences by the end of the year to balance the bad at the beginning. I'd want it in the collection, but with 11 students, there are too many to keep track of for a readaloud.
Sam
Apr 29, 2013 Sam rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ed-310
A great poetry book to have in the classroom that tells the different adventures that happen at school. I would love this book in my classroom! I would recommend this book for any aged students through elementary school.
Dana Johnson
Nov 07, 2012 Dana Johnson rated it liked it
Shelves: ed-310-1
Includes many different poems. Poems all have to do with school. Gives school related circumstances in poem form.
Linda
Sep 11, 2009 Linda rated it it was ok
'Didn't love these poems. 'Not crazy about putting it in our school's collection so I'm not crazy about it.
Amanda Martinez Kirby
Dec 01, 2010 Amanda Martinez Kirby rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, easy, poetry
Very cute school poems. I also loved the illustrations.
Paige
Paige added it
Mar 22, 2016
Joelle
Joelle rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
♡ Carla
♡ Carla rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2015
Gracie Alvarado
Gracie Alvarado marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2014
Justice
Justice marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Keristen Hunt
Keristen Hunt rated it did not like it
Jul 25, 2014
Guen
Guen marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Erika Giorgis
Erika Giorgis rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2014
Michele Piccini
Michele Piccini rated it liked it
May 31, 2013
Cindy
Cindy added it
Jan 22, 2013
Shannon Collyer
Shannon Collyer rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2012
Robin
Robin added it
Nov 20, 2012
Marilyn Singer was born in the Bronx (New York City) on October 3, 1948 and lived most of her early life in N. Massapequa (Long Island), NY. She attended Queens College, City University of New York, and for her junior year, Reading University, England. She holds a B.A. in English from Queens and an M.A. in Communications from New York University.

In 1974, after teaching English in New York City hig
More about Marilyn Singer...