Start by marking “5000 B.C. and Other Philosophical Fantasies” as Want to Read:
5000 B.C. and Other Philosophical Fantasies

5000 B.C. and Other Philosophical Fantasies

ASIN: 0312295170
Published August 1st 1984 by St Martins Pr (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about 5000 B.C. and Other Philosophical Fantasies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 5000 B.C. and Other Philosophical Fantasies

Ami Iida
Jun 08, 2015 Ami Iida rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy
I read it last year. It is logical and philosophical for al our life.
Jeff
Apr 29, 2008 Jeff rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
Smullyan is always a joy. A down-home, playful American version of Borgesian reflection.
Navlyn Wang
Jan 26, 2017 Navlyn Wang rated it it was amazing
I used to love Raymond Smullyan's logic puzzle books, but this one is one of my earliest introduction to philosophy and it is delightful. I still refer to some examples from the book today!
Hank Horse
Jun 14, 2007 Hank Horse rated it it was amazing
Short philosophical essays, really good stuff!

One thing I like about Smullyan is that though he’s a logician and enjoys playing with logic, he recognizes when it ceases to be a useful tool. In one of the best chapters in this book, The Zen of Life and Death, Smullyan considers many different approaches to death and the possibility of an afterlife. This paragraph is characteristic:

“What about the proposition, “Either I will continue existing, or I will cease to exist.” Do I believe that? My answ
Remy
Oct 03, 2013 Remy rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Daoist Logicians
Due to the nature of its content, this book is much shorter than it seems. Regardless, it is quite good. There are a few puzzles and paradoxes in the miscellany, as one might expect from Smullyan, but most of the text is taken up by dialogues. An assortment of philosophers, epistemologists, moralists, theologians, ontologists, and such are invariably gathered around for whatever reason, and they quarrel over seemingly simple phenomena. I found this terribly amusing all throughout, but then philo ...more
Maurizio Codogno
Feb 12, 2014 Maurizio Codogno rated it liked it
Shelves: filosofia
Questo libro di Smullyan è un po' diverso dalla sua usuale produzione per così dire "ricreativa". Non abbiamo infatti, se non in minima parte, problemini logici: il grosso del testo consiste in dialoghi ("multiloghi"? i personaggi sono davvero tanti) filosofici, dove l'autore mostra come bisogna stare molto attenti a definire le cose perché altrimenti c'è sempre qualcuno che se la prende con noi e ci dimostra che abbiamo sbagliato tutto.

La mia sensazione (personale) è che però i dialoghi sono sì
Neven
Mar 19, 2013 Neven rated it really liked it
An interesting, jumbled-up collection of essays, dialogs, aphorisms, and puzzles. It approaches all sorts of philosophical questions from all different directions, so in the end you may be left scratching your head, wondering just what it is you've been reading this whole time. In that, it's a bit like how people often describe the experience of reading Hofstasdter's 'Gödel, Escher, Bach'. While this isn't nearly as ambitious or virtuousic as that, it's a fun book written in a likable, approacha ...more
Jmvv
Feb 03, 2012 Jmvv rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simplicus viene a ser una especie de arquetipo humano o en lo que me quisiera convertir, porque como quiero vivir en completo albedrío, sin temores a castigos sin esperanzas a premios, vivir en ética, que como Borges piensa, es a lo mejor la corroboración de que si el sistema de nuestras acciones, pueden ser buenas o malas, según su particular forma de ordenarse, un excelente libro...
Dmk
Jun 25, 2015 Dmk rated it it was amazing
It one of the best books I've ever read. There are funny phi-fi stories (it somethink like sci-fi but it's about philosophie, not about science). It gives you knowledge about lots of philosophical themes but it also very funny and original.
Amir
Sep 05, 2007 Amir rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Philosophically-minded
You will find interesting philosophical musings in this book mixed with sci-fi fantasy and presented with humor.

This (together with another book by Smullyan) is, in my opinion, the best book that I have read in a decade...
Mike
Jan 24, 2008 Mike rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Logic problems, rarely-used cliches, and short essays on time, identity, death, and so on, written with humor and an unusual point of view. This is the kind of philosophy book you can take to the beach, highly recommended.
Swarner
Jan 07, 2011 Swarner rated it it was amazing
Raymond Smullyan is my Logician Dumbledore. I own and read every book of his I can get my hands on. Which is well over a dozen.
Isk
Jan 31, 2010 Isk rated it really liked it
Smullyan's like a Hofstadter who writes shorter stuff.
Part 4 ("To be or not to be?") is pretty stupid, but the rest contains some gems. I especially liked his proof of Goedel's Theorem.
Lawrence
Lawrence rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2013
Hervizinve
Hervizinve rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2014
Rob Weinstein
Rob Weinstein rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2016
Alienindie
Alienindie rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2013
Ankur
Ankur rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2013
Hal Johnson
Hal Johnson rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2010
Daniel Gorter
Daniel Gorter rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2014
Billy
Billy rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2014
Ellis Reppo
Ellis Reppo rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2012
Jims
Jims rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2010
Spinky Paul
Spinky Paul rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2014
Jose_A.
Jose_A. rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2012
Dennis
Dennis rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2010
Josie
Josie rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2007
Akapero
Akapero rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2012
Faisal Shamas
Faisal Shamas rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2015
Vishal
Vishal rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2012
  • Mathematics: The Loss of Certainty
  • The Universal Computer: The Road from Leibniz to Turing
  • The Exile: Sex, Drugs, and Libel in the New Russia
  • Philosophy of Logic
  • A Passion for Mathematics: Numbers, Puzzles, Madness, Religion, and the Quest for Reality
  • To Infinity and Beyond: A Cultural History of the Infinite
  • Logics of Worlds: Being and Event, 2
  • The Irrationals
  • The Conservative Nanny State: How the Wealthy Use the Government to Stay Rich and Get Richer
  • Schooling In Capitalist America: Educational Reform And The Contradictions Of Economic Life
  • Mathematical Mysteries: The Beauty and Magic of Numbers
  • Introducing Wittgenstein
Raymond M. Smullyan is a logician, musician, Zen master, puzzle master, and writer.
More about Raymond M. Smullyan...

“Recently, someone asked me if I believed in astrology. He seemed somewhat puzzled when I explained that the reason I don't is because I'm a Gemini.” 15 likes