Start by marking “The Silver Child (Silver Sequence, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Silver Child (Silver Sequence, #1)

The Silver Child (Silver Sequence #1)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  652 ratings  ·  62 reviews
Six children are drawn to Coldharbour, a wasteland of garbage dumps and gangs on the edge of civilization, for reasons they can't comprehend. Each child undergoes a strange transformation and discovers a special gift. They must learn to use their skills quickly--they soon realize they've been brought together to face a common, fast-approaching enemy set on the destruction ...more
Published August 10th 2006 by First Avenue Editions (first published August 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Silver Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Silver Child

I Am Number Four by Pittacus LoreGone by Michael  GrantGraceling by Kristin CashoreThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanHunger by Michael  Grant
Books With Superpowers! Blam!
80th out of 366 books — 312 voters
Tiger's Voyage by Colleen HouckTwisted by Sara ShepardHarry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingStunning by Sara ShepardRuthless by Sara Shepard
my favorite
72nd out of 81 books — 43 voters

More lists with this book...

Kirsten
Whooooaaaa weird. This is a strange and gripping book, and I am still not sure if it's actually good or not. I know I couldn't stop reading it. It opens with a bizarre and frightening scene worthy of Stephen King: a boy, Milo, is sitting down to dinner with his family when he suddenly feels a ravenous hunger and procedes to violently demolish the entire family dinner, eating and drinking everything in sight. Immediately, his body begins to change: his hair falls out, his eyes bulge unnaturally, ...more
Natanya L
I don't even know how to start this review. The Silver Child haunted my childhood. When my friend and I picked it up in the library when we were ten, we read the beginning, and I couldn't get it out of my head. It horrified me. I am not usually repulsed by grotesque descriptions, but there was something about this book. We didn't know what to do about it, so we hid it. We hid the book behind the shelves in the back corner of the library, our secret spot. That response caused the book to stay wit ...more
Stefanie
I read this book when I was younger and it stuck with me for years, this image of a boy eating everything on the table and dashing into the night at the whim of some higher power, calling to him. As other children slowly leave their comfortable homes and find their way to him, you are given a glimpse of the sound of roaring, a distant beast coming to claim our world. McNish builds suspense slowly and carefully, setting the stage for what is sure to be a furious battle to come.
Kelly
Mar 08, 2009 Kelly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young adults
Recommended to Kelly by: myself
Six children left their home and travled to Coldharbour, a wasteland filled with dumps as far as the eye could see. None of these children knew what was drawing them to Coldharbour, but yet they knew that they had to be there. They were supposed to help someone, or something. The first to leave his house was Milo. He knew that something was changing, but didn't know what. He was growing and morphing into something absurd, a monster. Through out the book, Milo's skin changes from normal and peels ...more
Koorihime-sama
Checked out from the library.

Review/Rating:

1 out of 5

2ND REVIEW. 1ST REVIEW IS HERE.

Six children are the first to start changing into something not human, and no one knows why. However, all of them are drawn to Coldharbour, and they can hear a roar. What is making the roar? And how will they be able to fight it?

First, what was I thinking when I thought I should re-read this?!

Okay, my feelings haven’t really changed from the first time I read it.

I’ll summarize since I don’t want to think that muc
Majid Nobles
This is, I believe, the best among the Silver trilogy books. It's about a group of kids who are very different from the rest, each of them with a role to play in the future against an evil force coming upon them. Milo, the Silver child himself, plays the biggest role and has experienced the biggest transformation among the group. He has angel-like characteristics, such as silver skin and huge wings. He has the ability to see all the children in the world and communicate with them. Thomas, (my fa ...more
Iskreads
The Silver Child by Cliff McNish is the first book in The Silver Sequence series. This first book mainly consists of a description of the characters, setting, and situation. This bizarre, imaginative, and unusual story takes place in Coldharbour, a place filled with garbage dumps, packed with dangerous gangs wandering about. Six mutated and deformed children feel drawn to Coldharbour by forces they don't quite grasp, and although the unsafe setting fills most of them with fear, they remain in th ...more
Violet
vaugnfreech
After 48 years, finished the book. I've been reading the first book of Cliff McNish's Silver Sequence at the NBS for free. And began...hmmm...since last year? Oh yeah...coz I read it before Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer and HEROES.

And what does it got to do with F4 and Heroes? Okay, there are these kids from different places...special kids with some kind of powers. They can hear THE ROAR comin. And they were gathered by chance in Coldharbour and discover their destinies. So like Hero
Sam A
Jan 31, 2013 Sam A added it
The Silver Child was a very good book, in my opinion. I even got to read the 2 sequels, The Silver City and The Silver World! The story revolves around Milo, a boy whose skin suddenly falls off. Underneath, however, are not muscles and bones. A solid coating of gold now surrounds him, and he runs away to a city called Coldharbour. His vision fades to 0%, with the exception that he can only see children. Meanwhile, five other children are changing. Helen can suddenly read minds, Walter grows 12 f ...more
Jena Marston
Sep 17, 2008 Jena Marston rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fantasy Lovers
Recommended to Jena by: Saw it on a shelf, the cover and name intrigued me.
First off, don't read unless you plan on reading the Trilogy, it is a major cliff hanger at the end so I am glad I borrowed all 3.

I thought this was an interesting book. A few children in the book have some cool super-human powers, which was an interesting twist, since it is usually adults with such powers. They also were powers different enough from other things that I have read for it to feel like I was reading something new.

I do have to say, these books were in Juvenile Fiction, and in my opp
Annelyse
Alicia Reynosa
During the month of November I read "The Silver Children" by Cliff McNish. This book was about six different children all different but very alike. Each child has a special gift and they all need each other to help one another for what is next to come. Something bad and evil is coming but only these six children can hear him. The six children began to change Milo,one of the children, changed faster than the other children. He is changing into a silver boy the attention is drawn to him. He brings ...more
Chris
Libby Letchford
Gripped me right from the start. I love the twins. But you can't read this one without reading all three; you can't do that with this novel.
Jess
I'd read this a long time ago, but I only remembered something about Milo's peeling skin. What I had forgotten was how much emotion was in this book. I love it. I love how the parents are really caring and try to help their super-kids. They can't, but they still try. If Milo had stayed, even his mother wouldn't have been able to handle the changes, because even complete strangers could barely stand watching. But she tries, and that's so much more than most literary parents do. Helen's dad, too, ...more
Jack
Em...for starters, the writing wasn't that great. Some of the word choice was...questionable, and just the way it reads makes me cringe. Another thing is that the author should seriously stick to 3rd person - his first person narratives (*cough cough* the lame ass moron named Thomas that I didn't like because he was a wimp and annoying) just sounded really cheesy. I was kind of confused most of the time during the book, and I just...IDK. I wanted to like it, the parts with Milo were just freaky ...more
Erin
Pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. It had been on my to-read list for so long I couldn't remember why I first put it on there, but I'm very glad I finally read.

It's a bizarre little story, but it's told so well that it doesn't even matter how bizarre and wild it is. The children are strong in their own ways and the story itself is just....intriguing.

Not a lot of answers in this book, but again it's told so well that you just read the story and follow along pretty easily.
Sophia_978
It was kind of messy in my opinion. It was a good idea but sadly it didn't live up to my expectations.
Book Elf
The Silver Child by Cliff McNish was a different experience. It was written in very creative imagination, having characters that were beyond my imagination. The twins were giving me the creeps but somehow the author made them more affable. You know the feeling when you were watching Edward Scrissorhands? That creepy, yet a twist of pleasantness in it. It was really different, intriguing and I just can't put the book down for some reasons. It led me to read on, and hungry for more.
Flower
Good story. Interesting. Can't wait for the next one. Really great series. Very unusual! I like it more than most! I bought all 3 because they only had book 1 the librarys around here. I didn't just want to have book 2 and 3 in my collections. So I read this one again which is not something I usually do. It's rare a book get a second reading. I wanted to be prepared for the 2nd and 3rd books. I am really enjoying them.
Kate
The beginning totally gripped me about this massive transformation happening to a child. All of these children are changing in anticipation of a destructive force. The dialogue can be a bit clunky/off. But, I am curious about the next one. Is it just me or all of these young reader books always a trilogy? It sometimes feels like such a standard practice. (3 1/2 stars)
Debrarian
Compellingly creepy beginning shows several regular children abruptly changing into... something elses. Maintains the credible otherness flavor, as the special children (having become giants, insectivores, empaths, etc.) find each other one by one in a rubbishy wasteland outside of town. Has that "Book One" feeling (of the Silver Sequence) - things are just beginning.
Sally
This audio was scary and well read I must say.
It is the first in a trilogy and I am now going to look for the other 2.

I liked that the story was magical, sad and funny in parts because it kept my attention.

I recomend this audio to thoes who like books about magical happenings that are sentimental at the same time.

WELL DONE CLIFF MCCNISH!!
Lisa
Four words: I don't get it.

Why should I care about anything in this book? There was no build-up, there was no character development, there was no plot. Six random children are thrown together where they all become freaks and then the happy ending slams you in the face at the end.

Don't waste your time or your money; this book was awful.
Holli  Ronquillo
Well written and interesting concept, but the book was just a setup for the series. You can't have a book that just introduces characters. It needs more substance than that. Plus, I'm sick of everything being a series. Do you know how good a book has to be for me to pick up the second book in the series? Beyond amazing. This book falls short.
Swen Cilati
Dec 07, 2007 Swen Cilati rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: nobody, really
This book seemed ok, but the further i got into it, the more i realized that there was a lot of evolution involved. Which is fine, if you're for the whole evolution thing. However, i'm not...and i thought that this book was kind of stupid. i dont think that anyone should really read this book, and i give it two thumbs down.
Anneliese
Really sad. I mean beautifully written but the scenes where the children have to leave and the parents are left behind are tragic and Milo's agony at his change really touched me. Also imagine the hardships of all the changing children, alone, afraid and not knowing what changes are occuring inside them without their knowledge.
Kami
Apr 16, 2008 Kami rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Juvenile fiction lovers
Shelves: fantasy
I haven't read a book in a very long time. So I decided to get back on the horse since I've joined Goodreads. So I chose to start with brain candy and I picked this book at random. It was a quick read. I only started last night.

I liked it and will get online and order the sequel right now.
Cynthia
Even though the plot turns are inconsistent and the setting is completely implausible (can all the children and animals of the world fit onto a slice of Britain's coastline?), I couldn't put this series down until I had read the whole thing. I'm still trying to figure out why.
The Silver Child: Couldharbor 4 4 Nov 21, 2011 03:53PM
Role play 2 6 Nov 19, 2011 05:53PM
What's The Name o...: YA - fantasy, teens/kids who develop special abilitites, one can dig? and one can possibly fly? [s] 4 35 Oct 17, 2011 04:21AM
  • Rowan of Rin : The Journey (Rowan of Rin, #1-5)
  • Fourth World (Missing Link, #1)
  • Seeker (Noble Warriors Trilogy, #1)
  • The Battle of Blood and Ink: A Fable of the Flying City
  • Wasteland (The Kin Trilogy, #1)
  • Ambassador
  • Pastworld
  • Doctor Who: The Gemini Contagion
  • Prodigy
  • Mrs. Pepperpot Stories
  • The Summer Birds (Aviary Hall, #1)
  • Younguncle Comes to Town
  • Jellaby: Monster in the City (Jellaby, #2)
  • Frontier Incursion
According to my Mum, when I was arriving in this world on the night of 24th August 1962 the electricity in the house failed, and all the lights went out. So I was born part in darkness and part in candlelight. I’ve no idea what significance that has, but it sounds impressive somehow…

I was born in Sunderland, a city in the north-east of England. I’d like to say I picked up the local Mackam accent,
More about Cliff McNish...

Silver Sequence (3 books)
  • Silver City (Silver Sequence, #2)
  • Silver World (Silver Sequence, #3)
Breathe: A Ghost Story The Doomspell (Doomspell, #1) Angel The Scent of Magic (Doomspell, #2) The Wizard's Promise (Doomspell, #3)