Works of Fyodor Dostoevsky: Crime and Punishment, The Idiot, The Brothers Karamazov, The Gambler, The Devils, The Adolescent & more

4.61 of 5 stars 4.61  ·  rating details  ·  298 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Three full length novels collected in one edition formatted for the Kindle.

FYODOR MIKHAILOVICH DOSTOYEVSKY [1821-1881] was a Russian writer of novels and short stories .

In 1841, he graduated from Saint Petersburg Academy of Military Engineering. In 1845, he published his first novel Poor Folk in the magazine Sovremennik. The poet Nikolai Nekrasov, editor of the magazine, s...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published January 9th 2012)

Ron Samul
FInally finished Crime and Punishment and I was impressed by how modern and full of psychology this novel was. Having been written in the time of the Civil War, and before the seeds of Communism were taking root, I think this was an interesting vision of Russia compared to Count Tolstoy whom I adore, and his vision of the world. Can't do another Russian novel this summer but The Brothers Karamazov might be next on the Russian heavy hitters.
Lara
I admit, I read this because it was a 'Classic'.

And I only give it 3 stars because...WHERE WAS THE EDITOR?

If this novel went to a publisher today, without the aura of 'classic' I guarantee it would have been cut by a third, and been better for it.

I didn't see the protagonist progress: he was self-absorbed, alienated with a severe case of adolescent angst before he committed the murder, and afterwards he carried on with a mixture of wanting to retire to his bed with not wanting to wash too much...more
مسعود حسینی
No doubt, Dostoevsky is the best author ever! among all things that I've learnt from him, I should refer to that huge impression which reading Brothers Karamazov made upon me. after reading this novel, all aspects of my life changed! I became homesick and then, being so depressed, decided to kill myself, and I tried once, but... .
Ivan made me sick. but, after two years, I read the book once again. this time I really enjoyed it. I'm happy now, perhaps due to the reading of his other novels, espec...more
Phoenix
The Idiot, the Brothers Karamazov, Bobok the Gambler, a nasty story and the classic Crime and Punishment and other amazing tales. Dostoyevsky was the best of the best and a capable writer able to transmit the sense of Russian pathos, with a flourish.

Crime and Punishment s man murders his landlady. Skilfully developed so that one is allowed to see into the mind of the killer in order to understand, somewhat and even sympathize (to an extent) with his motivations. Many ranged of human depravity ar...more
Margaret
Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky (Don't ever read the Constance Garrett translation) is a book that will thrill you, irritate you, and entertain you. The murder scene is the best one I have every read, and I love murder stories. I actually was hoping he could escape the murder room. Every time I read this book, I get sweaty palms as he waiting to leave the murder.
Dawn
Rereading The Brothers Karamazov. I wasn't awake enough while I read the second half of the book. ;)

Thoroughly enjoyed his short stories.

Great to have on my kindle so that I always have something to read.
Adonis Enricuso
This is the best to me! I can totally identify with Raskolnikov; like him, I have felt a kind transcending force towards the end of the story. The translation is commendable as well.
Elizabeth (Alaska)
Reviews and ratings under individual titles.

For Crime and Punishment, see my review here: Crime and Punishment
Kavita Iyengar
Timeless story. Reveals the good in each person. Bitterness, rivalry, insecurity, hatred, are feelings in the best of us. And there is goodness in the worst of us.
Mike James
Read Crime and Punishment 3 times over the years. And will probable read again soon. Never read any of his other works. But maybe one day.
Javier
"I am a sick man... I am a spiteful man"

And with these first words, the novel itself is summed up!
Anthony Pruden
I will probably never get around to this. However, I can think about reading it.
Sally Cvetovac
Great book! After I read it I watched the Peter Lorre version of the movie. He nailed it!
Shari
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky (1984)
Ana
Only read The Gambler. Enjoyed it
Danni
One of my favourite authors, all of these are amazing
Bipin Upadhyay
Bipin Upadhyay is currently reading it
Apr 15, 2014
Stephanie Young
Stephanie Young is currently reading it
Apr 15, 2014
Amanda Garner
Amanda Garner marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Malachi
Malachi marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
  • Oration on the Dignity of Man
  • The Brothers Karamazov (Landmarks of World Literature)
  • Three Treatises
  • Ayala's Angel
  • Sleeping, Dreaming, and Dying: An Exploration of Consciousness
  • James Madison and the Struggle for the Bill of Rights (Pivotal Moments in American History)
  • Fyodor Dostoevsky: Crime and Punishment
  • The Einstein Theory Of Relativity
  • History of the Thirteen
  • On Old Age, On Friendship & On Divination
  • Transformation and Healing: Sutra on the Four Establishments of Mindfulness
  • Smoke
  • Natural Right and History
  • The Ghost Sonata
  • Canzoniere: Selected Poems (Penguin Classics)
  • Snopes
Fyodor Mikhaylovich Dostoyevsky (Russian: Фёдор Михайлович Достоевский), sometimes transliterated Dostoevsky, was a Russian novelist, journalist, and short-story writer whose psychological penetration into the human soul had a profound influence on the 20th century novel.

Dostoevsky was the second son of a former army doctor. He was educated at home and at a private school. Shortly after the death...more
More about Fyodor Dostoyevsky...
Crime and Punishment The Brothers Karamazov Notes from Underground The Idiot Demons