Start by marking “Soul Taker” as Want to Read:
Soul Taker

Soul Taker

3.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  81 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Lewis is overweight, unpopular, even his dad doesn’t like him very much. He really does not have a whole lot going for him until he goes to see Mr Ladslow, the local toy shop owner. Viktor Ladslow offers to change his life, but he will exact the most terrible price.
Published September 1st 2003 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Soul Taker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soul Taker

Inoli
Feb 05, 2010 Inoli rated it really liked it
I picked this up because the library branch I went to was supposed to have Witch Child based on a check the night before but it apparently was checked out by the time I got there the next day. Ms. Reese wrote this a lot earlier and it was short so I took it instead kind of as a sample of her writing. I'm glad I did. This seemed to written to a younger age group, more obviously than some I've read, and was a familiar theme but I really liked this short scary story. I liked the way it was develope ...more
Ashley Amendolaro
Aug 29, 2015 Ashley Amendolaro rated it it was ok
The book had a lot of promise I thought, but as the story unfolded, any depth I felt Rees had established fell apart. I saw no hint of the "love" that apparently existed between the two main characters; an overweight boy apparently developed rock-hard abs within a month and a half; there wasn't any sort of resolution or closure with the main character's father (which the story really could have used); the main conflict scene was weak at best, indecipherable at worst; overall, I'd been sort of ex ...more
Tara
Feb 01, 2012 Tara rated it it was ok
Lewis is fat, ugly and useless... Well that's what he thinks anyway. One day he visits Mr adslow to get his fortune read. Mr Ladslow know's exacly what to say to make Lewis want his help, to give away everything.
Lewis's life gets better after meeting Mr Ladslow, and his life quickly turns around. But something strange is happening, someones... missing..

It's not too bad of a book, but it didn't have the normal chill factor of a celia Rees book and lacked some substance.
Amie
Aug 10, 2010 Amie rated it liked it
Shelves: library
Just got this book from the library - teen section. It looked like it might be interesting and a quick read. it was - I read it within 2 hours. A teen boy - fat, teased mercilessly, low self-esteem issues, etc. - has his fortune read, gets some advice on how his future is set by the actions of the presence and he begins to go through some changes including getting fit, getting the pretty girl, etc. All to come to a strangle twist near the end.
Woodbury Public Library www.woodburylibrary.org
Aggregate book review from young adult book discussion:

An okay book. Some of us didn't finish it but after the discussion we think we will.

Those of us who finished it thought the book was fun and were interested in seeing where it went but were a little disappointed by the ending. It seemed a little to much like a quick, happy, wrap-up.

Would recommend to friends who like to read horror.

Colleen
Jan 27, 2011 Colleen rated it it was ok
I have the original version of this book and only semi-enjoyed it.
I don't know what it was about the book, but something just put me off.
The plot was ok and everything and the characters weren't the worst in the world, but I dunno... I just couldn't bring myself to like it that much.
Jessica
Jan 05, 2012 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, juv-and-ya
A suspenseful read, great for YA. Reads very quickly and is more like a short story than a novel. Great for book discussion. Some readers may need to adjust to some of the British terminology but the interested reader will not be deterred.
Clarissa
Nov 04, 2011 Clarissa rated it really liked it
This was a good story. It was about a boy who is picked on and is willing to do anything to feel good about himself. A good book, especially for those that don't like to read big/long books. Boys will like this story!!!
Miranda
Sep 11, 2009 Miranda rated it it was ok
This was very interesting. I'm usually not into creepy things, but this wasn't that bad. Certain parts linger, although I wasn't impressed with the book on literary merit; just interesting enough to be memorable.
Kelley
Mar 28, 2008 Kelley rated it really liked it
Shelves: scary-creepy, mystery
A master puppeteer makes dolls that are so life-like, you'd swear you are looking at someone you know...oh, wait! You are - with even their soul trapped inside.
Shannan
Dec 04, 2013 Shannan rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book when I read it years ago. The flaws and quirks of the protagonist kept it interesting, and the storyline was agreeably dark.
Hesa Almuhairi
May 07, 2012 Hesa Almuhairi rated it really liked it
i like the whole story
its very nice, but didn't like the ending so much its just not that convincing
but it was worth it any ways
Tammy
Dec 05, 2010 Tammy rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
The final confrontation and ending were rushed and too easy. I liked the characters okay but I've seen Celia Rees do better.
-       Sophie..(:
Jul 15, 2007 - Sophie..(: marked it as to-read
This Looks Veryy GdGd!
Maria
Maria rated it it was ok
Jun 25, 2016
Jenni
Jenni marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Angel Sack
Angel Sack marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Shannon Deep
Shannon Deep marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Kim Russell
Kim Russell rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2016
Kristina
Kristina rated it liked it
May 30, 2016
Cecilia
Cecilia marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Michelle Pillers
Michelle Pillers marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
XiaoCheng Ye
XiaoCheng Ye rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2015
Sian
Sian rated it it was ok
Apr 22, 2016
Noelle Hooge
Noelle Hooge marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2015
Haley
Haley rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2015
Forza
Forza added it
Aug 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Celia Rees (born 1949) is an English author of children's literature, including some horror and fantasy books.

She was born in 1949 in Solihull, West Midlands but now lives in Leamington Spa with her husband and teenage daughter. Rees attended University of Warwick and earned a degree in History of Politics. After university, she taught English in Coventry secondary schools for seventeen years, dur
More about Celia Rees...