Start by marking “The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Down” as Want to Read:
The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Down

The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Down (The Yada Yada Prayer Group #2)

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  2,460 ratings  ·  139 reviews
In this sequel to the popular book, The Yada Yada Prayer Group, the women discover that getting down on their knees is the most freeing place of all. Unabridged. 9 CDs.
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published November 15th 2004 by Oasis Audio (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Down, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Down

Brenda
I feel like the first person narrative REALLY hurts this book. I want to know what the other women are thinking and feeling. I want to follow their lives every once in awhile. To be honest, I'm sick of Jodi. She seems judgemental, she almost always jumps to the worst conclusion first, and I want to get out of her head!

Other problems I had were: the character Ruth talks like Yoda. Says her sentences in the wrong order, she does. Every time she says anything in the book I hear Yoda's voice for her
This is the second book in Jackson's Yada Yada Series. In the first book a group of 12 women are randomly placed in a prayer group while at a Chicago-area Christian women's conference, and after a series of life-changing events, the group decides to continue meeting after the conference is over.

The second book starts just after the action of the first. It's the end of summer and protagonist, Jodi "good girl" Baxter has almost fully recovered from her car accident (in which she accidentally kill
Debra
I got really tired of the main character whining all the time! She really needs to loosen up or she's going to have a stroke over her husband having a beer with a friend...Seriously!
Erika
This book was very powerful from a spiritual standpoint. I think my favourite character is Avis who is always so strong and wont let the devil get her down! However, on a storytelling level, Book #2 almost lost it for me. Drama, drama, drama! It never stops I started to wonder if the author was ever going to let me catch my breath and figure out what a little boy, a relationship between two teens, a visit from parents, a senile old woman, a robbery, Jodi's husband getting to know the other husba ...more
Deonnah Davis
I surprised myself with this book. It is completely out of my norm. I tend to lead away from inspirational, christian self help books and series. THIS BOOK WAS BOTH. Talk about stepping out of a comfort zone. I don't like series because I don't like the commitment that is involved. I feel like if you read book that is about of a series, you need to read all of them and in order. The public library didn't have the first one and wasn't going to buy it because what if I didn't like it. So, I got th ...more
Kathy
Almost as good as the 1st in the Yada Yada series. Was hoping for each successive book to be told in the first person by each of the other characters,each one from a different race, religious, or ethnic background. Attended a wonderful book club with the author; found out she did not write sucessive books in the series from the multi-culturally varied characters' points of view because she felt she could not writing as authentically with the voice of a black woman, or a Jewish Christian woman, o ...more
Maria M. Elmvang
Brilliant book. The Yada Yada books speak straight to my heart. I'm challenged to pray, praise God and generally take a closer look at my relationship with God. Do I just pay Him lip-service - or do I actually practise what I preach?

"The YYPG Gets Down" is a fitting continuation of the first book, and it raises an interesting question of forgiveness. Do we forgive even if the other person doesn't repent? Can we repent for the sins of others? (Like the Germans asking the Jews for forgiveness for
Dani
Aug 27, 2009 Dani added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christian book clubs
Shelves: part-of-a-series
As usual, Neta Jackson hit on the exact issues that I struggle with as a Christian. Whereas the Christian books I have been reading are just "clean" romances, the Yada Yada series is more like a devotional hidden in a story. This book is perfect fodder for discussion in a Christian book club, but the story doesn't have the stilted feeling of a story created just to teach a lesson.

I like the way that Jackson fleshes out the characters, as well. Even though one of the main story lines was about Ad
Lisa Alexa
Excellent! Again, this book teaches how to pray God's promises and guard your heart, to declare that if you don't, doubt and the fear from the enemy will get a foothold.
love the wisdom of Avis!

As well, it seems clichÉ, but people who have wronged you and honestly don't like, anger becomes power that the devil holds over us. I'm not giving it to one person who thinks she can bully me due to the fact of jealousy. I'm giving it to the Lord, but like Avid said, give the Holy Spirit time to work.

Gr
Delanie Washburn
Just as good as the first one if not better. I really like the characters and even though the situations they get in seem far fetched to me, I still can get myself into the book.
Robin

The Yada Yada series is fabulous! The series addresses women and relationships. I found it an enjoyable as well as inspirational read :)
This is a series that seems like fluff but is really very deep. REALLY good book!
Chris
THIS SUMMARY/REVIEW WAS COPIED FROM OTHER SOURCES AND IS USED ONLY AS A REMINDER OF WHAT THE BOOK WAS ABOUT FOR MY PERSONAL INTEREST. ANY PERSONAL NOTATIONS ARE FOR MY RECOLLECTION ONLY

The second book st
Lori
When I picked this up, I really needed an easy read by a trusted author. I wanted to revisit characters with whom I am familiar regarding themes that interested me while keeping me on familiar ground. I chose correctly.

These books take me to a time and place in my own life when things felt much simpler albeit with some meaning. I "know" these women, their husbands, their children, their struggles, and their growth. This series is safe for me - like visiting old friends.

I applaud Jackson's voya
Mary Crow
Second book in a series: This book is an excellent go-to for a Christian fiction read! It's light and easy, but deep and intense all at the same time. There are many different types of Christians in this book, so it's likely that you will find someone to relate to in this prayer group! Everything from a suburban mom to an ex-con! It addresses issues like different prayer style, church backgrounds, and even racial differences. Truly a refreshing read!
Joy Gerbode
While there are many things that I don't relate to very well, there are other things that really hit home in this novel about real people and real situations. I absolutely realize how sheltered and blessed my life has been, how much God has lavished His love on me, and how very much I owe to the world around me. Funny, thought-provoking, and all in all a very good read. I think I enjoyed this one even more than the first book in the series.
Dee Schwinn
I liked the characters and I liked the mix of cultures within this prayer group. Woven in were contemporary issues, Bible verses, real doubt, family situations, work situations. There was fear and also laughter. Some questions were unanswered but perhaps if I had read the other books some of that would have made sense. I will probably look for the other Yada books to read.
Kristen
i picked this one up on a whim. i got about halfway through, before i just decided to move on to something better.

i liked the premise of the book, and i liked the idea of a book about women finding their faith together.

what turned me off on the book - the writing. it was pretty juvenile. way too much "telling" and not enough description. i didn't feel too attached to the characters. i really didn't think they were developed well enough. i also didn't think the dialogue was very good.

this book
Charity
I really love the way Neta Jackson is able to bring together a group of women who seem to have nothing in common besides their faith and makes them feel like your own friends. The cast of characters, from stoic Adele, quiet Hoshi, boisterous Florida and hardened Yo-Yo (to name a few) are so complex and interesting that it's fascinating to see them come together in the name of prayer and find comfort and respite in God and each other. I find myself identifying with the main character, Jodi so muc ...more
Cathleen
Jul 09, 2008 Cathleen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Cathleen by: Karen S.
I really respond to the multi-cultural characters and to the issues of contemporary faith. At times it seems too heavily weighted on WASPy Jodi, but her imperfections and preconceptions provide accessibility to the others. I want to complain that the plot is saturated with big events and wild coincidences, but really, doesn't life often surprise us with those very elements? I'm still weighing this one. Again, though, a lead up to the end that dragged, but a close that seemed a dead stop.

I don't
Cindi
I lost sleep over this one! I could not put this book down. This is the second book in the series and, as much as I loved the first one, Gets Down is even better!!

So much happens to the Yada Yada group, and their families, that will keep you glued to the pages. I don't want to give away anything in the story but I will say, READ THIS BOOK. You won't be disappointed.

The greatest message that I received from this book is the importance of having God in our lives and trusting Him to see us through.
Danelle Kaiser
I really like this series and the story line. I love how all these women interact and the situations they are overcoming in there lives with God. I have to give them a rest for a little while though really sick on the main character which is the narrator she is just so stinking whiny and judgmental.
Dana
The brightly-colored chick-lit covers hides a depth that continues to draw me in with this second book in the series. A number of events challenge the main character's assumptions about race and forgiveness. Her faith--and the faith others--is the only thing that allows her to cope. The author does not shy away from uncomfortable topics in this book, and I was challenged along with the main character to examine my own assumptions.

Neta Jackson has created in the character of Jodi Baxter someone t
Franknannie
I am reading through this series, and this was one of my favorite's. I'm very glad to have found this series and can't wait to read the rest of them. These characters are very richly developed. They seem like genuine people that you grow to love. They have both good and bad character traits, but are always striving to become more Godly. It's wonderful to read of their spiritual growth and how they love one another right where they are, flaws and all. They grow in their relationships with one ano ...more
Dinah34134
this is the second installment of the yada yada series. i found it to be better then the first. we continue to follow jodi, the heroine from the first book. i was secretly hoping that each book would be written from the perspective of the diverse prayer group, but i guess they are from jodi's perspective.

jodi does need to calm down though! so much worrying about beer and her teenagers dating and an incident with adele's mother and what others think and on and on. i also find myself not understan
Amandasaved
I wanted to like this series. I like the idea of multicultural characters coming from Haiti, Israel, South Africa, Mexico, Honduras etc but the Hispanic characters were just to stereotypical for me. As a Hispanic person my self, I found my self annoyed with the protagonist Jodi Baxter for most of the book. She lives in this multicultural setting but she's such a WASP it's hard to read.

Still, I'm hoping further books will flesh out Delores & Edesa's characters. Latinos in literature are hard
Melissa
Ok addition to the series, but way too much racial conflict. Some would have been ok, but this almost felt like a diatribe. Large number of characters is somewhat confusing.
Elaine
(books 1-7)
a. Excellent series of Jodie and her prayer group consisting of Adele, Edesa, Flo, Yo-Yo, Avis, Ruth, Leslie (Stu) Stuart, Delores, Hoshi, Nony, Chanda and Becky Wallace (Do I have all the names?)
b. We meet many other characters along the way including Jodie’s husband Denny and their 2 teenagers, Josh and Amanda and the families of the other Yada-Yadas.
c. There’s a fatal accident, a robbery, a shooting, as well as love and laughter, and many other goings-on in this series. These peop
Joi
This book was not as good as the first one. A lot of the information was repeated and I did not like that part. I felt as if it was unnecessary. Also, I feel as if I would have enjoyed the book better if it had a different narrator. I still don't like Jody as a character/narrator, and that is a huge problem for me.
Lynda
The second volume in this series finds Jodi and her husband dealing with the after effects of her accident as well as racial prejudice on more than one front, modern life issues of parent's rights versus the foster care system and drug addiction. Again I found myself devouring this book to see how the women and Goad would resolve their difficulties. The prayer group is challenged when a drug addict breaks in and robs the women at knife point. The reader again learns about prayer and trusting God ...more
  • The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Rolling: Party Edition with Celebrations and Recipes
  • Harry Bentley's Second Chance
  • Sisterchicks Do the Hula (Sisterchicks, #2)
  • Summer Breeze
  • Doesn't She Look Natural (The Fairlawn Series #1)
  • Halfway to Forever (Forever Faithful, #3)
  • The Potluck Club (The Potluck Club #1)
  • The Baby Chronicles
  • A Can of Peas
  • Miss Invisible
  • A Time to Mend
The Yada Yada Prayer Group (The Yada Yada Prayer Group #1) The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Real The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Tough The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Caught (Yada Yada Prayer Group, #5) The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Rolling