Start by marking “Shocked by the Bible: The Most Astonishing Facts You've Never Been Told” as Want to Read:
Shocked by the Bible: The Most Astonishing Facts You've Never Been Told

Shocked by the Bible: The Most Astonishing Facts You've Never Been Told

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  14 reviews
How well do you really know the Bible? For instance, guess how many doves were aboard Noah's Ark. The answer is not two.

And guess on which day the Bible says Jesus died. Believe it or not, the Good Book doesn't mention Friday, and even more surprisingly, while the Bible says Jesus rose from the grave, it does not say it occurred Sunday morning. Remember, Jesus' followers f
Published September 30th 2008 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published December 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Shocked by the Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shocked by the Bible

Susan
One would be amazed at the things that are in the bible, if only he would take the time to read it well. Joe Kovacs obviously read his bible well and presents the facts in a way that are accessible to someone who may not be very literate in the bible.

The book will make you angry because you don't want to change your beliefs; make you angry because you've been lied to all your life by a church; or make you re-examine what you believe and possibly change what you believe.
Beverly
Those who have attended church most of their lives on a regular basis may not be very shocked by Kovacs' revelations, but those unfamiliar with the Bible may learn new things.
Melanie
This is a quick read, and VERY interesting. Learned alot!
Doug
For anyone looking for revelation of secrets or perhaps a new perspective on the text of the Bible, keep looking. Kovacs doesn't bring anything to the table that a person with basic reading comprehension can't discover for himself.

Seriously, he makes it sound like some kind of brilliant discovery that there is no mention of Easter or December 25th in the Bible. Really? Anyone who is willing to look at the Bible as a documentation of history and some moralistic teachings understands that there ar
Monica
This book promises to "shock" - but really.... if anyone has actually READ the Bible, there's nothing at all shocking about what's in here. What did shock me was the lack of any historical perspective or supporting documentation for the author's conclusions about such things as "Jesus didn't REALLY die on a Friday and rise on a Sunday" (has he read ANY early Christian authors? If they were within one generation of Christ, and knew the people who were THERE, and THEY say he died on a Friday and r ...more
Ryan Mercer
While this text is quite informative for those that haven't read the bible cover to cover... it is pretty lacking on anything 'shocking', 'astounding', or 'facts you've never been told'.

Would make a great gift though for young-adults to spark an interest in the bible, or anyone for that matter. Would also be a great gift for people that make a lot of assumptions and assume things in movies and Christmas songs MUST be in the bible... might open their eyes. However, for anyone with at least an ele
Brent Wolters
This book answered a lot of questions that have been bothering me concerning what I've read in the Bible and what I've heard in churches. Eye opening book that shows most Christians are in deep trouble with the God of the Bible if they don't get their act together and really read from the source of their beliefs, instead of relying on traditions and ministers who don't tell (or don't know) the whole truth.
Brett
I don't think this book is meant to be the definitive bible study reference tome. It's more of a teaser for various misunderstood elements in scripture. But what it lacks in detail and supporting evidence, it makes up for in the breadth of material. I would recommend it as a way to get someone interested in bible, if only to learn about some of the common misconceptions that are pervasive among christians.
Jadah
THIS BOOK WAS SIMPLY AMAZING AND I ENJOYED READING AND LEARNING AS I ENDULGED FROM CHAPTER TO CHAPTER! I LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT! THIS BOOK WAS SO INFORMATIVE AND IT ANSWERED ALOT OF UNANSWERED QUESTIONS IN MY HEAD THAT I ALWAYS OFTEN WONDERED BUT NEVER HAD TIME TO RESEARCH THE INFORMATION! THIS IS WORTH EVERY MINUTE OF YOUR TIME AND I SUGGEST YOU TAKE HEED TO MY WORDS AND CHECK IT OUT
ReeKee
Joe Kovacs is very knowledgeable when it comes to the Bible. He didn't add or explain away anything from the Bible that most would want to do away with as it isn't politically correct. God is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. No apology needed!
Kriste
This book was informative and I learned things I hadn't known before. The author takes a lot of things extremely literal in the Bible, but overall I did learn a lot from this book :)
Nanette
Ok, I thought about a few new things. I also thought, buddy, use the original Greek and Hebrew, not Darby's paraphrase. Duh!
Janice
Read the Bible instead.
Brent
Dec 26, 2008 Brent is currently reading it
Very interesting so far.....I am wondering how non belivers might view this....
Payce
Payce marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Prime
Prime marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Patrick S.
Patrick S. marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Gary Crane
Gary Crane marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Denise Krolczyk
Denise Krolczyk marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Phil
Phil added it
Jun 24, 2015
Victor Anto
Victor Anto marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Savoul Pelister
Savoul Pelister marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Asiza
Asiza added it
May 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Divine Secret, The The Divine Secret: The Awesome and Untold Truth About Your Phenomenal Destiny The Divine Secret: The Awesome and Untold Truth about Your Phenomenal Destiny