Start by marking “Shocked by the Bible: The Most Astonishing Facts You've Never Been Told” as Want to Read:
Shocked by the Bible: The Most Astonishing Facts You've Never Been Told

Shocked by the Bible: The Most Astonishing Facts You've Never Been Told

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  97 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
How well do you really know the Bible? For instance, guess how many doves were aboard Noah's Ark. The answer is not two.

And guess on which day the Bible says Jesus died. Believe it or not, the Good Book doesn't mention Friday, and even more surprisingly, while the Bible says Jesus rose from the grave, it does not say it occurred Sunday morning. Remember, Jesus' followers f
Published September 30th 2008 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published December 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Shocked by the Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shocked by the Bible

Susan
Jun 29, 2011 Susan rated it really liked it
One would be amazed at the things that are in the bible, if only he would take the time to read it well. Joe Kovacs obviously read his bible well and presents the facts in a way that are accessible to someone who may not be very literate in the bible.

The book will make you angry because you don't want to change your beliefs; make you angry because you've been lied to all your life by a church; or make you re-examine what you believe and possibly change what you believe.
Beverly
Feb 04, 2012 Beverly rated it really liked it
Those who have attended church most of their lives on a regular basis may not be very shocked by Kovacs' revelations, but those unfamiliar with the Bible may learn new things.
Melanie
Jan 14, 2009 Melanie rated it really liked it
This is a quick read, and VERY interesting. Learned alot!
Ana
Apr 02, 2016 Ana rated it liked it
A few really surprising and/or eye-opening chapters, but mostly things any regular Bible reader would know.

Specifically recommended to people who don't tend to get into the word very often for themselves. In that case, this book would be an informative companion to read alongside the Bible, and may even spark a greater curiosity for scripture.

If you're already in the Bible reading habit, you may still get something out of this book. I'd suggest at least flipping through it to the chapters that i
Doug
Sep 15, 2009 Doug rated it did not like it
For anyone looking for revelation of secrets or perhaps a new perspective on the text of the Bible, keep looking. Kovacs doesn't bring anything to the table that a person with basic reading comprehension can't discover for himself.

Seriously, he makes it sound like some kind of brilliant discovery that there is no mention of Easter or December 25th in the Bible. Really? Anyone who is willing to look at the Bible as a documentation of history and some moralistic teachings understands that there ar
Monica
Mar 22, 2009 Monica rated it it was ok
This book promises to "shock" - but really.... if anyone has actually READ the Bible, there's nothing at all shocking about what's in here. What did shock me was the lack of any historical perspective or supporting documentation for the author's conclusions about such things as "Jesus didn't REALLY die on a Friday and rise on a Sunday" (has he read ANY early Christian authors? If they were within one generation of Christ, and knew the people who were THERE, and THEY say he died on a Friday and r ...more
Ryan Mercer
Aug 21, 2012 Ryan Mercer rated it really liked it
While this text is quite informative for those that haven't read the bible cover to cover... it is pretty lacking on anything 'shocking', 'astounding', or 'facts you've never been told'.

Would make a great gift though for young-adults to spark an interest in the bible, or anyone for that matter. Would also be a great gift for people that make a lot of assumptions and assume things in movies and Christmas songs MUST be in the bible... might open their eyes. However, for anyone with at least an ele
Don Paske
Apr 02, 2016 Don Paske rated it liked it
Three stars is actually a gift. There wasn't much shocking that I learned. I do wonder, in this day and age, why would Mr. Kovacs quote from the King James bible. Not the New King James bible, the original! I suggest folks actually read the bible rather than this simplistic book.
Douglas Reedy
Feb 10, 2016 Douglas Reedy rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book. It was very informative and humorous at times. It wasn't to deep or mind numing. I would recommend this book to anyone with an interest in the Bible.
Brent Wolters
Nov 04, 2011 Brent Wolters rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
This book answered a lot of questions that have been bothering me concerning what I've read in the Bible and what I've heard in churches. Eye opening book that shows most Christians are in deep trouble with the God of the Bible if they don't get their act together and really read from the source of their beliefs, instead of relying on traditions and ministers who don't tell (or don't know) the whole truth.
Brett
Dec 03, 2012 Brett rated it really liked it
I don't think this book is meant to be the definitive bible study reference tome. It's more of a teaser for various misunderstood elements in scripture. But what it lacks in detail and supporting evidence, it makes up for in the breadth of material. I would recommend it as a way to get someone interested in bible, if only to learn about some of the common misconceptions that are pervasive among christians.
Jadah
Jun 14, 2012 Jadah rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK WAS SIMPLY AMAZING AND I ENJOYED READING AND LEARNING AS I ENDULGED FROM CHAPTER TO CHAPTER! I LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT! THIS BOOK WAS SO INFORMATIVE AND IT ANSWERED ALOT OF UNANSWERED QUESTIONS IN MY HEAD THAT I ALWAYS OFTEN WONDERED BUT NEVER HAD TIME TO RESEARCH THE INFORMATION! THIS IS WORTH EVERY MINUTE OF YOUR TIME AND I SUGGEST YOU TAKE HEED TO MY WORDS AND CHECK IT OUT
ReeKee
Sep 22, 2012 ReeKee rated it it was amazing
Joe Kovacs is very knowledgeable when it comes to the Bible. He didn't add or explain away anything from the Bible that most would want to do away with as it isn't politically correct. God is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. No apology needed!
Kriste
Aug 13, 2013 Kriste rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
This book was informative and I learned things I hadn't known before. The author takes a lot of things extremely literal in the Bible, but overall I did learn a lot from this book :)
Nanette
Jul 01, 2013 Nanette rated it did not like it
Ok, I thought about a few new things. I also thought, buddy, use the original Greek and Hebrew, not Darby's paraphrase. Duh!
Janice
Apr 18, 2015 Janice rated it did not like it
Read the Bible instead.
Brent
Dec 26, 2008 Brent is currently reading it
Very interesting so far.....I am wondering how non belivers might view this....
Faith-Racheal
Faith-Racheal marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Rick Scales
Rick Scales rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Susie Mayes
Susie Mayes rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2016
Kevin Walker
Kevin Walker rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2016
Meleah
Meleah marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Jake Scott
Jake Scott rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2016
JAMES Singleton
JAMES Singleton marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Brian J Malskis
Brian J Malskis rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2016
Laura Williams
Laura Williams marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Harold
Harold added it
Mar 12, 2016
Lynn Furderer
Lynn Furderer rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2016
Dobiac
Dobiac rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Bible Answer Book
  • What's a Christian to Do with Harry Potter?
  • Scientific Creationism
  • Last Days Madness: Obsession of the Modern Church
  • How Evil Works: Understanding and Overcoming the Destructive Forces That Are Transforming America
  • The Design Revolution: Answering the Toughest Questions about Intelligent Design
  • Defeating Darwinism by Opening Minds
  • Finding God in the Lord of the Rings
  • The DNA of Relationships
  • Spirit-Controlled Temperament
  • Atlantis: Egyptian Genesis
  • A More Excellent Way: Be in Health: Pathways of Wholeness, Spiritual Roots of Disease
  • Definitive Biography of P.D.Q. Bach