Start by marking “Techno Rebels: The Renegades of Electronic Funk” as Want to Read:
Techno Rebels: The Renegades of Electronic Funk

Techno Rebels: The Renegades of Electronic Funk

The first authoritative American chronicle of the most innovative trend in contemporary music, this appraisal is a must for all followers of what's hottest in music today.
Published May 1st 1999 by Billboard Books

To ask other readers questions about Techno Rebels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Techno Rebels

Todd Johnson
Mar 03, 2013 Todd Johnson rated it really liked it
An excellent and comprehensive history lesson for anyone into the electronic music genre that wants to know the beginnings.
Slye
Jan 29, 2015 Slye rated it it was amazing
This is a solid introduction to techno music, its trappings and origins, penned by Dan Sicko at the turn of the century as a sort of round up of techno's history up to that moment.

The undisputed strength of this book lies in its first half, which chronicles the rise of early techno from the crucible of Detroit's early eighties party scene. "Progressive" was the description given at the time to the mix of funk, new wave, disco and synth pop that held sway on the city's dancefloors, records drawn
Jesse
Sep 19, 2016 Jesse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really quick, engaging read on a very maligned and misunderstood genre of electronic music. The perfect overview for somebody who may not know much about techno but wants to get into it. Unfortunately, it's brevity is also what hurts it. Due to the nature of its short, quick analysis, it runs through the history of the genre fairly quickly, not really giving the reader a lot of time to sit down and focus on little details, individual stories and anecdotes that contribute to the reader's unders ...more
Kathleen
Aug 31, 2011 Kathleen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
i wanted to love this book. i love detroit. i love detroit techno. i loved dancing my ass off in filthy abandoned factories and warehouses with no lights. there was a joyful, creative, communal feeling that i got, and that my friends got, going into the ruins of detroit and making joy there. it was a triumphant feeling we got from our reclamation of those spaces. i wanted this book to capture that feeling that techno gave detroit. and it didn't.
it was a very informative book, which was nice. bu
Andrew
Aug 28, 2008 Andrew rated it it was amazing
I'm surprised to see the lower reviews that this book receives on GoodReads; it's an entirely comprehensive study of the origins and maturation of Detroit Techno. The book does a great job of digging deep into the socioeconomics of the era that gave birth to the genre, so that by the time you get to the big Charivari party, you understand exactly why these kids are blending the things that they're blending together and where the genre was born.

To be fair, the second half of the book is scattere
Jenn
Nov 11, 2012 Jenn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I'm glad that a book exists on Detroit techno, it really only skims the surface. The fact that Dan Sicko chose to not include the warehouse parties that went on here in Detroit is really questionable, as that was a major part of the development of many dj's here. The DEMF was remarkable because it gave credence to what everyone had been doing underground for so many years. Now the DEMF is just a quick cash-grab. This book serves more as biographical information about the pioneers of Detroi ...more
Justin
Jul 26, 2007 Justin rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Anybody interested in the history of Techno
While the book is kind of dated (written in 1999 -- it discusses mp3 as an emerging distribution technology) and the writing style is pretty dry (very academic in nature), the book does provide an informative history of techno up to 1999. I feel the author does kind of overemphasize the importance of developments in Detroit throughout the book, but he does at least somewhat cover techno developments elsewhere in the world. Or maybe I'm not giving Detroit the credit it deserves. Overall, much of ...more
Zach
May 19, 2016 Zach rated it really liked it
This book is a well-reported and forcefully argued case for the primacy of Detroit techno in the world of electronic music. I particularly liked Sicko's dissection of the major-label driven "electronica" boom of the late 90s and how it managed to both co-opt real dance music and alienate the unfamiliar. I was very much a casualty of that era and it's taken me until recently to get over my confusion about what, exactly, dance music is and where techno (and specifically Detroit techno) exist withi ...more
Robert
Sep 13, 2007 Robert rated it it was ok
Not so much good writing. But some history I wanted: advent of detroit techno. How it came from Chicago "house" music. And how Canada relates. And how it really, and I guess not-surprisingly, well, how much of all this stuff comes from kraftwerk and 70's disco.

Pretty much disregarded the latter chapters -- those seemed more fanzine than history.
Monica
Sep 16, 2008 Monica marked it as to-read
Does this count as "currently reading" if I'm kind of on hold with it? It's weird: as a techno freak I really should have read this book long ago. But I guess it just doesn't hold me, oddly enough.
Less_cunning
Dec 13, 2013 Less_cunning rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pl, read1, credenza
great survey of techno. easy read not weighted down by academic jargon or music theory. excellent primer.
Stos
Dec 18, 2007 Stos rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Detroiters, Techno/Electronic Music fans
Easily the most comprehensive book ever written on Detroit Techno, and Detroit's overall contribution to the global electronic music scene. A must read for fans of Detroit, and electronic music.
Kelly
Aug 05, 2007 Kelly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: dorks
Fairly basic account of the origins of techno. Ideally, this book would have been split into multiple volumes in order to fully explore the contributions made by each city.
Caroline
Caroline rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2013
Alexandra Liptsey-Rahe
Alexandra Liptsey-Rahe rated it really liked it
May 25, 2014
Matt Crowley
Matt Crowley rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2016
Vladimir Dzalbo
Vladimir Dzalbo rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2013
Griffin Waterman
Griffin Waterman rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2014
Patrick
Patrick rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2016
Matt
Matt rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2015
Teensy
Teensy rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2012
Junlachak Peter Siriprakorn
Junlachak Peter Siriprakorn rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2016
Ian Thompson
Ian Thompson rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2013
Lzr
Lzr rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2013
Martin
Martin rated it it was ok
Apr 05, 2012
Elle A
Elle A rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2016
Karie
Karie rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2012
Dr. Detroit
Dr. Detroit rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2014
Dawn Beachnau
Dawn Beachnau rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2012
Danny Le
Danny Le rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Love Saves the Day: A History of American Dance Music Culture, 1970-1979
  • Last Night a DJ Saved My Life: The History of the Disc Jockey
  • Generation Ecstasy: Into the World of Techno and Rave Culture
  • Turn the Beat Around: The Secret History of Disco
  • Check the Technique: Liner Notes for Hip-Hop Junkies
  • The Ambient Century: From Mahler to Trance: The Evolution of Sound in the Electronic Age
  • Wreckers of Civilisation: The Story of COUM Transmissions and Throbbing Gristle
  • Ocean of Sound: Aether Talk, Ambient Sound and Imaginary Worlds
  • Altered State: The Story of Ecstasy Culture and Acid House
  • Handmade Electronic Music: The Art of Hardware Hacking [With CD]
  • The Underground Is Massive: How Electronic Dance Music Conquered America
  • More Brilliant Than the Sun: Adventures in Sonic Fiction
  • How Soon Is Now? The Madmen & Mavericks Who Made Independent Music (1975-2005)
  • And Party Every Day: The Inside Story of Casablanca Records