Start by marking “Contact Wounds: A War Surgeon's Education” as Want to Read:
Contact Wounds: A War Surgeon's Education

Contact Wounds: A War Surgeon's Education

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  5 reviews
"Surgery is the crude art of cutting people open, yet it is also a symphony of delicate manipulation and subtle chords. So says Jonathan Kaplan in his new book, Contact Wounds, an account of a doctor's education in the classroom, in life, and on the battlefield." "No other field of medicine carries so much individual responsibility as that of a surgeon. Kaplan learned that ...more
Published October 10th 2005 by Grove Press (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Contact Wounds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Contact Wounds

Anita
As good as the Dressing Station. Similar format and fills in some of the gaps from the previous book. This one better explains and examines his motivations per the time he spends in Isreal as a teen. Powerful chapter on time spent in Iraq after 9/11. Philosophical. I love his writing and his detached compassion combined with his worldly demeanor. I wish more people knew about and were reading these books. Loads of insights, painful and profound but even funny sometimes. What a life!
Heino Colyn
I wasn't familiar with Jonathan Kaplan before picking up this book, and although I struggled through the first couple of pages I came to really enjoy his writing. Large sections read like travel writing with a relatively detailed history of the situations in which he finds himself. The general tone and Kaplan's insights made the backdrop of war less depressing and I am looking forward to reading The Dressing Station: A Surgeon's Chronicle of War and Medicine in the future.
Catherine
not as good as the dressing station, but still filled with wonderful little moments. the only account by a surgeon of the first days of the iraq war that i have ever read- riveting. i also really enjoyed his memories of apartheid south africa.
Leo Africanus
Powerful reflections of a South African war surgeon. Wonderfully interlaces politics, travel writing and life in general with his gritty medical experiences.
Amanda Patterson
Reall depressing but a worthwhile read.
Mimi
Mimi marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Jennifer Varnadore
Jennifer Varnadore marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Adam Barnes
Adam Barnes marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Katy
Katy added it
Jul 10, 2014
Rory
Rory is currently reading it
Jul 01, 2014
Deanna
Deanna marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Moira Mcglynn
Moira Mcglynn marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Melinda
Melinda marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
misjun
misjun marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Alison Foster
Alison Foster marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Ame
Ame marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Dressing Station: A Surgeon's Chronicle of War and Medicine Urban Mindfulness: Cultivating Peace, Presence, and Purpose in the Middle of It All Call It Like It Is: The Jonathan Kaplan Story My Perfect One: Typology and Early Rabbinic Interpretation of Song of Songs My Perfect One: Typology and Early Rabbinic Interpretation of Song of Songs