Start by marking “Dar and the Spear Thrower” as Want to Read:
Dar and the Spear Thrower

Dar and the Spear Thrower

A young boy living 15,000 years ago in southeastern France is initiated into manhood by his clan and sets off on a journey to trade his valuable fire rocks for an ivory spear thrower.
Published October 18th 1996 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published May 23rd 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Dar and the Spear Thrower, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dar and the Spear Thrower

♥♫ Bethany
Jan 01, 2009 ♥♫ Bethany rated it liked it
This book was pretty good. It wasn't amazing, though. The ending was a little too fast. But I like this book because it has a good message, and that it has a happy ending.
Billy
Feb 17, 2014 Billy rated it it was amazing
Probably the best novel ever written. I enjoyed it throughout and read it a second time to make sure I didn't miss any material!
Genevieve
Jul 27, 2011 Genevieve rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school
A great read for somebody who wants to know about ancient manhood. Which is to say, nobody. I have nothing else to say because this is a dreaded "short story."
Lisa
Aug 14, 2016 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Great story about a prehistoric nomadic boy that incorporates historical detail based on real artifacts, one of which is a "spear thrower", a piece of Stone Age technology that was the precursor to the bow and arrow. We have been studying the transition from nomadic to agricultural societies in ancient times and this book also provides a glimpse into the small steps that ancient people took in this direction as well. Great fodder for discussion about why the agricultural revolution was a "revolu ...more
Madison
Feb 03, 2014 Madison rated it liked it
This book takes place during the stone ages. It's about a young boy who is soon going to go to his very own initiation ceremony that will take place in only weeks. After the ceremony he has his manmarks which means he is able to defend his tribe with the older men in his tribe. But no one believes he'll ever be ready. Little does he know that the man marks dont make him a man. They just encourage him. He goes on his first journey and meets Toreg (the spear thrower) who shows hime new weapons and ...more
Jade
May 07, 2012 Jade rated it it was ok
Not very good. It gets kind of cheesey at times and is really boring1
Sandra Stiles
Dec 10, 2011 Sandra Stiles rated it liked it
Dar and the Spear-Thrower is more than just a fictional coming of age story. Through this book students learn about the last ice-age that took place in France. Dar is a 13 year old boy who is about to become a man, "he hopes". He has been raised by his grandmother and uncle. His father was killed by a large cat and his mother died shortly after giving birth. His uncle feels he failed his brother because he was unable to save him. He did not want the responsibity of raising Dar. Dar has a passion ...more
Kennedy
Sep 30, 2013 Kennedy rated it really liked it
Me and my class (humanities) read this book to learn how to summarize the text, chapters and the whole book!
The book is about a boy named Dar. He had an uncle and he was very strict with dar. Dar becomes a man by getting a manmark in the sacred cave. Right after he goes to another camp to trade his sunstone(rock to make fire easy) for a spear thrower(a carved and made out of antler to make the spear go longer). He gets to the camp after several difficulties and trades with the man. The man trai
Yuika
Dec 11, 2013 Yuika rated it liked it
Dar and the spear thrower is historical fiction written by Marjorie Cowley. I recommend this book to the people who like history.
Dar is the main character, and he is the young boy but in the past, when they grow up to 13 years, they had to be a man. To be a man, they had to be able to hunt the animals very well to eat them to be alive. But there were a lot of hard things to do...

I learned lots of things about how it is so hard to be a man and hunting. So maybe you can enjoy this book with lear
Danny
Nov 05, 2013 Danny added it
Dar and the Spear Thrower by Majorie Cowley is a Historical fiction book that has one of the best moments. When you walk up to the book it won't look as half as good as you would think, after you read the book. Dar the main character, is in a clan that sets back 15,000 years ago in a territory that's known now as france. His clan has a key ingredient that allows their group to create Fire, Sunstones.

He thinks he gets into a deal with this stranger. His sunstone for the strangers "Spear Thrower."
Joeclapp
Jun 27, 2016 Joeclapp rated it really liked it
Another great companion for students studying early humans. A bit predictable and easy for advanced readers.
Pranav
Sep 15, 2015 Pranav rated it really liked it
amazing story! i used to hate reading about ancient people but this really made me happy!
Tina
Jan 17, 2016 Tina rated it it was amazing
Excellent resource for the classroom when studing ancient history
Alicia
Dec 23, 2014 Alicia rated it liked it
Part of the Paleo Book Club for 4th grade.
Fran
Jul 14, 2014 Fran rated it liked it
Not good and not bad at the same time
P
Jul 15, 2014 P rated it liked it
enh
Saya
Nov 12, 2013 Saya rated it liked it
This book used by my school humanities class. When I read first time, I thought that I can't read this book because I am not good at English, and this book is so many difficult word to understand for me. But, I can read it. This book is so interesting and unique book. This story from homo time, main character is maybe 12 years old boy( I forgot his old!). He can't do anything to survive these environment, but he grow up little by little. Finally, he became good man! Read it!
Alan
Dec 18, 2010 Alan rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
A great read for younger kids - fourth or fifth grade. It's a coming-of-age story set during the last Ice Age in Europe. Dar is afraid of his initiation ceremony and sets off on a journey to find himself, and in the process, finds much more.

I loved this quote: "Adulthood doesn't come with the initiation. The ceremony is only a signal that you're ready to begin to earn it." Unfortunately for me, I think that I've only begun to earn it . . . at 49 years of age!
You Jin
Dec 11, 2013 You Jin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about 5000,~6million years ago the old people life. I don't like History books. But this book is so fun. And I know they use fire and make tools. It's funny historical fiction book! Dar is very brave. He's scary about go to other clan. But he did and now his adult. This is my first book that I finish(English book), when I come to Thailand second time.
Lynne Radcliffe
Oct 05, 2013 Lynne Radcliffe rated it really liked it
Read this book with my grandson. Well written coming of age story of Dar a boy living 15,000 years ago in France. Excellent story to use with Middle School students to teach them about this time in history.
Christine Marie
Jan 18, 2013 Christine Marie rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Idiots who have nothing better to read or do with their time.
Recommended to Christine by: My English Teacher
Shelves: read-for-school
This book is so stupid. Completely pointless and I could have written better lit than this. A pointless, unoriginal plot that doesn't have much really going on, is boring, and is SUPER predictable.
Zion Lee
Nov 03, 2013 Zion Lee rated it really liked it
This story about the main character Dar has sunstone for make fire and some stranger want to trade that and Dar get spear thrower and he practice that for hunt other animals.
Nika Kunwar
I thought this book was ok... we had to read it for school and do a project on it. I was actually pretty intersting!
Rayven Cure
Apr 25, 2012 Rayven Cure rated it it was amazing
This book will go perfectly with common core standards and history social science as well!
Kelly
Feb 23, 2013 Kelly rated it did not like it
I don't have anything nice to say, so I'm not going to say it.
Jade
Oct 02, 2008 Jade rated it liked it
A little bit plain, but cool and interesting.
Timmybulldog
Apr 08, 2009 Timmybulldog rated it it was amazing
really good book
Owen Meehan-Egan
Owen Meehan-Egan rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2016
Alice
Alice rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2016
Bryan
Bryan rated it did not like it
Sep 08, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Boy of the Painted Cave
  • 11,000 Years Lost
  • Pirates in Oz (Book 25)
  • Teaching Children to Care: Classroom Management for Ethical and Academic Growth, K-8
  • Song of the Axe