Start by marking “The Long Rain ” as Want to Read:
The Long Rain

The Long Rain

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  147 ratings  ·  13 reviews
On a rainy night, Lawyer Jason Dark drives recklessly on a dark mountain road, accidentally hitting and killing a young man. Telling no one, the death is pinned on a drifter. In an attempt to save the innocent man, Jason decides to defend him in court. But the case takes an unexpected twist -- one which will haunt Jason for the rest of his days...
Published March 9th 1998 by Weidenfeld & Nicolson, Limited (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Long Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Long Rain

A dark and tragic story of human failings. However, I could not put it down. I struggled between rooting for and against Jason.
The Long Rain by Peter Gadol is a great suspense novel that explores relationships, morals and guilt. Jason Dark is putting the pieces of his life back together. He’s moved to a family vineyard, opened up a small law practice in the rural town and is renewing relationships with his estranged wife and troubled son. But then things go awry. On a rainy night on a country road he accidentally runs over and kills a teenager. No one is around for miles and miles.

What would you do?

Maybe the answer is e

It's never explained how a PhD art history student drives around in a sports car, but everything, everything, about the production of wine is explained in explicit detail. The vineyard is mentioned briefly in the blurb, but nowhere is there a hint that it dominates the text inside. The oenology talk, and the rest of the story, smacks you across the face with heavy-handed symbolism.

Great if you want to learn to make wine, not so much if you were looking for anything else.
A man returns to the defunct family vineyards and winery to lick his wounds after a divorce. The plot is extremely predictable - he decides to restart the winery, becomes a bit of a community leader, his wife and kid come back to him, bad thing happens to threaten it all (the flap tells what the bad thing is, a big mistake in my opinion, because it takes half the book to get to the bad thing), the man covers up the bad thing so that he can keep his happy life, and of course he pays for covering ...more
disturbing - walking in the shoes of a screw up guy. following his pathetic choices and incompetence while conveying the sense that he could be just a very jinxed guy next door.
Martin Treanor
The characters are vivid. I felt a genuine affinity with their struggles.
It's the only book by Peter Gadol I've read, but it won't be the last.

Martin :)
at first I wasn't too sure on the book and it did take me a while to get into the story but I really enjoyed the ending. It wasn't quite what I was expecting
Blake King
This is one of the most memorable books I've read and i might want to read again. I'm surprised I can never find any of his other books at Chapters.
Jamie Wayland
Well written, great descriptions. A battle with shame and morals, both upsetting and engrossing.
This book has an awesome plot! Someone should make it into a movie.
Another House of Sand and Fog. Good read but depressing.
The unexpected ending and twist made me remember this book.
Feb 13, 2008 Adriana rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Adriana by: This book was a gift
Didn't enjoy this book.
Terri FL
Terri FL marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2015
Vampire Fruit
Vampire Fruit marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Danny marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
Connie added it
Aug 28, 2015
Joy Dael
Joy Dael marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Fran Frambach
Fran Frambach marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Emma marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Neha Israney
Neha Israney marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Viola marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Anaximenes Apeiron
Anaximenes Apeiron marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
  • To Be Someone
  • Adventures of the Little Wooden Horse
  • The Man Who Killed His Brother
  • Entering Normal
  • Before I Say Goodbye: Recollections and Observations from One Woman's Final Year
  • The Virtuoso