Start by marking “The Long Rain ” as Want to Read:
The Long Rain

The Long Rain

On a rainy night, Lawyer Jason Dark drives recklessly on a dark mountain road, accidentally hitting and killing a young man. Telling no one, the death is pinned on a drifter. In an attempt to save the innocent man, Jason decides to defend him in court. But the case takes an unexpected twist -- one which will haunt Jason for the rest of his days...
Published March 9th 1998 by Weidenfeld & Nicolson, Limited (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Long Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Long Rain

Sandy
Apr 28, 2013 Sandy rated it really liked it
A dark and tragic story of human failings. However, I could not put it down. I struggled between rooting for and against Jason.
Alora
Mar 20, 2017 Alora rated it liked it
I'm glad that read this book without reading the synopsis. I suggest you do the same. What you can expect is a lot of information on how to make wine, which surprisingly doesn't terribly interrupt your read. I gave it three stars because I could not put the book down once I got past the halfway point. But my interest completely dwindled once I reached the resolution.
Aj
May 19, 2008 Aj rated it really liked it
The Long Rain by Peter Gadol is a great suspense novel that explores relationships, morals and guilt. Jason Dark is putting the pieces of his life back together. He’s moved to a family vineyard, opened up a small law practice in the rural town and is renewing relationships with his estranged wife and troubled son. But then things go awry. On a rainy night on a country road he accidentally runs over and kills a teenager. No one is around for miles and miles.

What would you do?

Maybe the answer is e
Djrmel
Mar 09, 2009 Djrmel rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, contemporary
A man returns to the defunct family vineyards and winery to lick his wounds after a divorce. The plot is extremely predictable - he decides to restart the winery, becomes a bit of a community leader, his wife and kid come back to him, bad thing happens to threaten it all (the flap tells what the bad thing is, a big mistake in my opinion, because it takes half the book to get to the bad thing), the man covers up the bad thing so that he can keep his happy life, and of course he pays for covering ...more
Stephkay
Jun 12, 2014 Stephkay rated it did not like it

It's never explained how a PhD art history student drives around in a sports car, but everything, everything, about the production of wine is explained in explicit detail. The vineyard is mentioned briefly in the blurb, but nowhere is there a hint that it dominates the text inside. The oenology talk, and the rest of the story, smacks you across the face with heavy-handed symbolism.

Great if you want to learn to make wine, not so much if you were looking for anything else.
Gracelyn
Aug 05, 2016 Gracelyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow I mean the message of this book is really big. And I could ponder over all the hidden meanings and themes for days. Weeks even. You just really gotta read it to know. And I mean especially the end. It's not predictable, but it's real. It's real life and it's beautiful in a way. This guy. He's just going through a rough season.
Blake King
Jul 23, 2011 Blake King rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the most memorable books I've read and i might want to read again. I'm surprised I can never find any of his other books at Chapters.
Adriana
Feb 13, 2008 Adriana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Adriana by: This book was a gift
Didn't enjoy this book.
Kirsty
Sep 24, 2013 Kirsty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
at first I wasn't too sure on the book and it did take me a while to get into the story but I really enjoyed the ending. It wasn't quite what I was expecting
Bonnie
Jul 10, 2012 Bonnie rated it liked it
Shelves: newman
Another House of Sand and Fog. Good read but depressing.
Janie
Sep 14, 2009 Janie rated it liked it
disturbing - walking in the shoes of a screw up guy. following his pathetic choices and incompetence while conveying the sense that he could be just a very jinxed guy next door.
Cheryl
Nov 06, 2007 Cheryl rated it really liked it
This book has an awesome plot! Someone should make it into a movie.
Jamie Wayland
Oct 09, 2012 Jamie Wayland rated it liked it
Well written, great descriptions. A battle with shame and morals, both upsetting and engrossing.
Martin Treanor
Aug 30, 2010 Martin Treanor rated it it was amazing
The characters are vivid. I felt a genuine affinity with their struggles.
It's the only book by Peter Gadol I've read, but it won't be the last.

Martin :)
Jamie
Jamie rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2009
Hayley
Hayley rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2010
Eileen Mcneil
Eileen Mcneil rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2009
Proustbunny
Proustbunny rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2011
Kp
Kp rated it it was ok
Sep 03, 2013
Miranda
Miranda rated it did not like it
Sep 27, 2008
Zaynab
Zaynab rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2008
Emily Crow
Emily Crow rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2013
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2017
Fred
Fred rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2014
Carrie Macdonald
Carrie Macdonald rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2011
Nadia
Nadia rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2012
Kate
Kate rated it it was ok
Jan 04, 2009
Eileen
Eileen rated it really liked it
May 01, 2015
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2016
Mylène
Mylène rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2015
  • Serious Concerns
  • Entering Normal
  • The Man Who Killed His Brother
  • To Be Someone
  • Before I Say Goodbye: Recollections and Observations from One Woman's Final Year
  • Nothing Is Impossible