Start by marking “It's Thanksgiving” as Want to Read:
It's Thanksgiving

Jack Prelutsky

It's Thanksgiving

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  152 ratings  ·  34 reviews
"Carving the turkey (and) eating too much . . . are some of the topics playedwith in the poet's usual witty style".--Booklist.
Published November 1st 1989 by Scholastic (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about It's Thanksgiving, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Thanksgiving

Kirei
This short book of Thanksgiving poems is cute. Maybe not best for a kid about to get braces, though.... (There is a poem about braces hurting.)
Stephanie
I really liked this book because of the illustrations. I liked how the story was not just how nice Thanksgiving is but that it is a crazy holiday but fun. This book is a great representation of how a holiday could be and how fun it is. This would be a great book to read during the Thanksgiving holiday.
Kelley Bennett
This book has some cute beginning poems about Thanksgiving. There are 12 poems and they are fairly short. They are very basic with simple rhyming and great for beginning readers with a Thanksgiving theme. There are illustrations to go along with each poem.
Sierra Hagar
while reading this book it took me back to thanksgiving. This book covers everything that has to do with that holiday, including food, being thankful and even football. It definitely puts you in the holiday spirit.
Jenny
A short collection of (primarily ) humorous poems about Thanksgiving. My 6 year old has spent much of this Thanksgiving weekend reading and rereading these poems.
Sylvia
Love Jack Prelutsky's holiday poem books for children. They are a great introduction to poetry, great to read aloud and very funny. Kids will love it and so will you.
Erica Rhodes
Poetry is one of those areas all-too-neglected in a modern education. Many kids never learn to enjoy poetry and rarely read it. Unlike more classic poetry, which can be hard for children to enjoy, these poems are fun, silly, and modern, making them easy for a modern child to love.

There are tons of Thanksgiving books out there. Many of them are factual books about the history of the holiday. There are a lot about family dinners and get togethers. However, these poems are unique and fun. We'll rea
Kaethe
Sep 12, 2014 Kaethe marked it as stricken  ·  review of another edition
Historically misleading: Wampanoag's didn't use tipis, for example.
Elanor Jane
All by herself!
Carly
Nov 24, 2007 Carly rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Grades K-8
Shelves: poetry
I really think all levels of students would enjoy this book because they are cute, funny, poems about Thanksgiving that nearly every student can relate to. I loved this book and thought they were hysterical and I read it to my students the day before Thanksgiving and they thought it was great. Prelutsky has a way with words and writes about normal events that everybody can relate to in a very comical way. It would be a great book to read during a poetry unit or around Thanksgiving.
Tam
This is a Level 3 Reader meaning complex plots for confident readers to read alone.

My child didn't really like this book because it's different poems rather than one story.

Poems are: It's Happy Thanksgiving, The First Thanksgiving, The Middle of November, If Turkeys Thought, I Went Hungry on Thanksgiving, The Thanksgiving Day Parade, When Daddy Carves the Turkey, I Ate Too Much, Daddy's Football Game, The Wishbone, Gobble Gobble, and Leftovers.
Amy
I liked all of these poems.

'The Thanksgiving Day Parade' reminded me of the one Thanksgiving I was lucky enough to be in New York for the Thanksgiving parade -
and that reminds me of the one I spent in Orlando at a French restaurant -
And of how many people actually do eat out on Thanksgiving (and sadly, how many still have to work.)
Which reminds me of the sea of people in the grocery store days during my time as a checker....

Starsha Vang
I loved this book. I loved that there were so many different poems about the different aspects of Thanksgiving. This book gives a good variety of topics for children to read about. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes Thanksgiving obviously and to all ages of children.
Relyn
Jan 29, 2013 Relyn rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teachers and parents, for read aloud
Recommended to Relyn by: I love Jack P.
Shelves: lawsonland
Jack's always a hit with my kids.

Curriculum Connection
I always start our Morning Meeting by reading a poem to my class. Most of them would tell you it's one of their favorite parts of the day. This has some really fun poems to read aloud around Thanksgiving.
Adrianne
Prelutsky's Thanksgiving poetry has it all: turkeys, pilgrims, the parade, overeating, football, leftovers, etc. Will and I read it last November and this November. And I plan on reading it next November.
Monica Johnson
Poem book written for ages nursey (N) to primary (P). Great illustrations and easy to read poems. Fun reading for young readers will guarantee a very special reading experience! I give them all five stars!
Amanda
I love Jack Prelutsky. He makes poetry cool and kids like it. My 4 yr old son loved this book, especially Gobble, Gobble and Leftovers. From the contents, he was hooked when he saw the word "football".
Collection of short poems sure to please most kids. My personal favorite is about the poor kid who missed out on the Thanksgiving meal because "My new braces hurt too much."
Eden
I saw this at the library and had to borrow it. I didn't enjoy it as much as It's Halloween, or It's Valentine's Day, but it was still a nice and fun read.
Shannon
"Shannon 1987." It has always struck me that Jack Prelutsky is a more versatile poet than Shel Silverstein, although I often used to get them mixed up.
Kathryn
I thought this book was a delight. Little chapters all done in rhyme and the artwork was cute and fun. This is one I'll get for my granddaughter.
Poems about the different aspects of Thanksgiving. I especially like the one about the kid who can't eat any of the food because of new braces.
Lauren
I had to read one of these poems during my Thanksgiving story time. I LOVED Prelutsky's poetry as a child. Next up: his Christmas collection!
Ashley
This is just a fun little book of poems, mostly funny ones. My favorites are "Daddy's Football Game" and "When Daddy Carves the Turkey"
Angela Record
Peoms about thanksgiving. Wonderful book with wonderful pictures. This is great for yound readers.
Tracy E. Hieatt
Not Prelutsky's best work. Most poems are outdated in terms of social roles and history.
Alicia
Josh follows me around the house reading these poems to me. He just loves them!
Elizabeth
Wonderful little book with rhyming type poems. My kids 4 and 2, loved it!
Heather
Fun and funny Thanksgiving poems for kids (probably ages 5-10 years).
Andd Becker
Jack Prelutsky's poems are funny and readable.
  • Thanks for Thanksgiving
  • Squanto's Journey: The Story of the First Thanksgiving
  • Thanksgiving Is for Giving Thanks
  • A Turkey for Thanksgiving
  • Molly's Pilgrim
  • Franklin's Thanksgiving
  • Thank You, Sarah: The Woman Who Saved Thanksgiving
  • Over the River and Through the Wood
  • Thanksgiving at the Tappletons'
  • The Night Before Thanksgiving
  • Cranberry Thanksgiving
  • The Thanksgiving Story
  • 'Twas The Night Before Thanksgiving (Bookshelf)
  • A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving
  • The Very First Thanksgiving Day
  • Arthur's Thanksgiving (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Clifford's Thanksgiving Visit
  • Turk and Runt: A Thanksgiving Comedy
20775
Jack Prelutsky is an American poet. He attended New York public schools, and later the High School of Music and Art and Hunter College. Prelutsky, who has also worked as a busboy, furniture mover, folk singer, and cab driver, claims that he hated poetry in grade school because of the way it was taught. He is the author of more than 30 poetry collections including Nightmares: Poems to Trouble Your ...more
More about Jack Prelutsky...
The New Kid on the Block Hooray For Diffendoofer Day! (Dr Seuss) A Pizza the Size of the Sun Something Big Has Been Here The Random House Book of Poetry for Children