Start by marking “Every Living Thing” as Want to Read:
Every Living Thing

Every Living Thing (All Creatures Great and Small #5)

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  5,702 ratings  ·  202 reviews
Celebrate the return of the most beloved storyteller of our time!

The waiting is finally over. For the first time in over a decade, the world's favorite veterinarian, James Herriot, returns us in a twinkle to the rural green enclave of England called Yorkshire for more irresistible tales of animals and people.

At long last, another treat from Herriot!

In stories of wonders gr
Published August 15th 1993 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Every Living Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Every Living Thing

The Book
No matter how many times I read James Herriot's excellent books, I never get tired of them. After at least ten readings, each one still has the power to make me laugh and cry, and they're all the better for the familiarity I now have with his stories. I'm pretty sure that when I'm old and grey and full of sleep, I'll be reading these books and chuckling about the time Tristan created a kitchen explosion while trying to light the fire, and crying for each of the old dogs that never got better and ...more
Brittany
This is a very fitting last book to James Herriot's collection. In it, he and Helen move several times, and he details each move and house and what it represents to him. He also details the characters, arrivals, acclimatisations, and departures or two memorable veterinary assistants, both of which make for very compelling reading, though the "vet wi' the badger" is my favorite.

The book culminates with a very small, personal, tender story of Herriot and his own cats. This is one of the very best
Rebecca
Here this wonderful narrator has become a "quaint old fossil." Instead of the freshfaced and inexperienced newcomer in the first books, now he has the experience of training new vets, raising his own family, and gradually settling into comfortable curmudgeonliness. I still want to give him a huge hug and sit with him by the fire and sip tea, even if this book has lost a touch of the narrative focus of the earlier ones.
Mrsdarcy
I had to buy a second copy of this book when I rashly lent the first copy to my mum. Should have known she'd never give it up! I wrote to James Herriot to tell him how much I enjoy his books. He wrote back with a charming letter, saying that although he was no longer in the best of health, hearing from people who love animals and the countryside meant so much to him. He died 2 weeks later. : (
I don't know how many times I have told people how wonderful the first book in this series is, "All Creatures Great and Small". Many times. They always give me a look like they are humoring me. I get it a little bit. It took me a while to pick these up. I'm not much of an animal lover, I don't dislike animals I'm just a bit ambivalent. However, movies and books about animals... usually bore me to death or are extremely silly (movies with talking animals? No, thank you!) However, I can honestly s ...more
Cameron Amaya
Review of Every Living Thing by James Herriot

James Herriot is an extraordinary author, with a way to flow emotions onto the page. his books are colorful and filled with joy, but none quite like Every Living thing. This book is the story of a long life of veterinary practice out in the country, and the main character and veterinary is none other than the author, James Herriot.

James Herriot is a country vet out in the Yorkshire Dales of Great Britain. This book is a collection of tales of veterina
Denise
The stories are fun and quick. I didn’t think the book was going to be very interesting at first, but I quickly got into it. The accent was a little hard to get used to; sometimes I had to read the same lines over and over. James is kind and thoughtful. It would be so much fun to be an assistant to him. I just kept thinking: does anyone like this anymore? The description of the scenery made me want to visit. It’s a cute collection of stories.

Lines that I loved:
When an animals lonely, there’s no
Maeve
I read this book and all the others a while ago. Rereading it was really fun. I nearly cried several times, as each story in the book tells about the different personalities of humans and their pets.
I love all James Herriot books and this was no different. It's like eating comfort food, but not fattening.
Shannon
A beautiful and fitting conclusion to Mr. Herriot's infinitely wonderful "All Creatures Great and Small" series. I have expressed my thought and profound love for this series in my reviews of the previous 4 books, so I will simply state: if you love animals, you *need* to read James Herriot. His books are something truly special and joyous.

While "Every Living Thing" wasn't my favorite in the series (that would be "All Things Bright and Beautiful") it is a lovely book that brings the story to a
Chris Allen
Not as good as some of the earlier gems in the series, but a fitting end. As usual, scattered with anecdotes and amusing tales of Herriot's life as a Yorkshire vet in post-war England, including a new house or two and the arrival and departure of Calum as an assistant (vet wi' t'badger, as the dales farmers would call him)...

Eminently readable, and never tiring, this is the longest of the 8 books. It's worth every penny, and is only weakened to 4 stars by the comparison with the others in the se
Christyn
Every Living Thing was a wonderful conclusion to one of my favorite series. Just as emotionally touching as his previous books it brings up wonderful imagery and feelings, like meeting an old friend. In this book, more than ever we get the feeling that Jim has really grown up from when we first met him - with his family, moving homes, he and Siegfried taking on new apprentices, becoming a bit of an old relic. But it is still as delightful as ever, from the touching and sad to the light hearted ...more
Tanya W
Another great book... what can I say, I love James Herriot. Few authors have such a talent for telling stories that make me usually laugh, sometimes cringe, and sometimes get a tear in my eye. These are the kind of books that could be re-read and enjoyed (and I'm not the type to very often read a book a second time).
Kate
"Every Living Thing is James Herriot's first new book of memoirs in over a decade, and from its opening pages our every expectation is fulfilled: We return in a twinkle to the green Yorkshire dales, to old friends and family, to that miraculous world of wonders great and small.

"It is a book aglow with the qualities that have made Herriot's other volumes such rare treasures: warmth, humor, drama, color, humanity. His tales of life as a country vet are rendered with skill, grace, and savor; they a
Valerie
One of the reviews of this volume says that Herriot published 8 books. I'm a bit puzzled by the count. I know, for example, that there was a separate publication of Only One Woof, and I think another story (perhaps Judy the Nurse Dog?) was also published seperately. And of course, there's James Herriot's Yorkshire. I suppose that does make 8--but I'm not sure of the other single story.

Where The Lord God Made Them All several times overtly quotes a journal (reinforcing my belief that Herriot rout
Melissa
If you're an animal lover you have probably heard of James Herriot. But on the off chance you haven't, he's a veterinarian that practiced in England in the mid nineteen-hundreds. And he was an animal lover himself, in addition to being a writer.

Every Living Thing is part of a series that chronicles Herriot's experiences as a vet. But it is not the type of series that you have to read in order. This book is a collection of short stories from Herriot's practice and can range from stories about hor
Alexis
Every Living Thing gives us a glimpse into the modernizing of the veterinary profession from the perspective of someone who has been practicing since the late 1930's. It is an interesting look at history as the author compares the way things were done when he first began to how things are done in the 1950's, which is the time period that he focuses on in this book.

In addition to the historical education that is provided, we gain further insight into Herriot's caring and sensitive nature when car
Eniko
I absolutely loved this book! :o) James Herriot is such a good writer. In an early chapter of the book, he manages to summarise his relationship with one of his assistants so well that at the end of the chapter I felt so nostalgic and was sad that the fellow had left the practice. Herriot does the same thing with another assistant, but describes their relationship throughout the book, leaving me with the same feeling of sadness that this person is no longer there.
I was also pleased to come acro
rabbit
aaargghhh! January 2015 finished this book, end of an era!

I loved James Herriot right from the start, perfect bedtime reading ie short chapters, nothing too scary or complex to keep you awake.

Some stories are funny, some are sad all full of characters and are so descriptive you can almost smell the Yorkshire Dales.

Now Im going to have to find a new vet to read!
Joanne
And so ends the 5-volume series loosely based on the life of veterinary surgeon Alf Wight,who wrote so beautifully and engagingly as James Herriot. His magnum opus-- arguably the least narcisisstic, most unselfconscious memoir of all time-- is brilliant. I hated to see these books end so much that I convinced my husband to detour through Yorkshire on our most recent trip to England for one last Herriot fix. We visited his surgery at Skeldale House in the market town of Thirsk (the inspiration fo ...more
Brett
Honestly, I think I enjoyed the first two (US Omnibus editions) Herriot books the very best, Right around the third, I started to notice scarcity of some of my beloved characters particularly the Farnon brothers and Mrs. Pomfrey. Where Herriot most sparkled was in those besotted gin-soaked bachelor days in the old drawing room at Skeldale house. Now Tristan is off being responsible and Siegfried is off being sensible, and even the beloved old house is abandoned as a place to live.

Perhaps it's me
Kelly
I have never met a James Herriot book I didn't like, and Every Living Thing is no exception. His life as a country vet is endlessly entertaining! I love his gift for spinning a story that can make you laugh or cry in only the span of a chapter or two. I love to keep his books on my nightstand, to read alongside other novels.

Anyone who enjoys interesting characters and loves reading about animals should pick up this series... especially if you could use an uplifting break!
Alex Kennedy
This book was a joy to read. No, seriously, reading this book made me happy. It also made me laugh out loud, uproariously, and once or twice for a good minute or more. I could also relate to the struggles of a professional trying to please all sorts of clients, some of whom were quite difficult.
Christina
My first Herriot book, sweet heartwarming stories that you can pick up and leave off bc each chapter is a different story. I remember my mom laughing til she cried reading his earlier ones when I was a little girl. I plan to read those, I've heard they're even better than this one.
Charlotte
May 18, 2013 Charlotte rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Budding vets and animal lovers of all ages
Recommended to Charlotte by: A friend
Really loved this book. I have the others in the series however haven't read them yet. I particularly appreciated them, being someone who has always aspired to one day be a vet, it was really nice to read about the 'tails' of another vet. The characters were mostly charming and the animals ever endearing. It was well written and often quite funny at times which made it all the more enjoyable! I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the books in the series. Also what is brilliant is that all a ...more
Maura
I was very into this series back in high school -- read all the books, watched it on PBS, loved loved loved it. and when i wanted something for the ride to my folks' house, it seemed like a good choice. it certainly was, tho it's probably not good to be driving and waving your arms shouting "ick ick ick!" when they describe various messy procedures. [how i ever dreamt i'd make a good veterinarian is beyond me.] i didn't actually finish listening to the whole thing before i had to return the tape ...more
Jes Fraser
These are beautiful books out of my childhood. Sometimes funny, sometimes poignant, always heartening, these are the stories of a vet working in the Yorkshire Dales in the 30's, 40's and 50's. A must for animal lovers.
Gareth Evans
Amiable as ever, Herriot's last book is even more of a collection of gentle anecdotes than some of his earlier books which seemed to have more of an overarching narrative. Nice, undemanding but also very skillful.
Pamela
Actually, I am reading this for the second time...the first being about 15 years ago. It is every bit as enjoyable this time as it was then. For anyone who is an animal lover it is a feast of interesting stories written by a man who knew first-hand what it was like to birth a calf that was too big to be born or save a beloved dog that developed diabetes...and on and on and on. It is not only the critter stories that are wonderful--their "people" are just as interesting as is writing about the Yo ...more
  • The Real James Herriot: A Memoir of My Father
  • Living Free, Abridged Edition (A Sequel to Born Free)
  • The Cat and the Curmudgeon
  • A Zoo in My Luggage
  • A Cat Abroad
  • The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street
  • Love Is the Best Medicine: What Two Dogs Taught One Veterinarian about Hope, Humility, and Everyday Miracles
  • The Dog Who Wouldn't Be
  • Zoo Vet: Adventures Of A Wild Animal Doctor
  • Cats In The Belfry
  • Out of Harm's Way
  • One Pair of Hands
  • Paws Before Dying (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #4)
  • Dog Days: Dispatches from Bedlam Farm
James Herriot is the pen name of James Alfred Wight, OBE, FRCVS also known as Alf Wight, an English veterinary surgeon and writer. Wight is best known for his semi-autobiographical stories, often referred to collectively as All Creatures Great and Small, a title used in some editions and in film and television adaptations.

In 1939, at the age of 23, he qualified as a veterinary surgeon with Glasgow
More about James Herriot...

All Creatures Great and Small (5 books)
  • All Creatures Great and Small
  • All Things Bright and Beautiful
  • All Things Wise and Wonderful
  • The Lord God Made Them All
All Creatures Great and Small All Things Bright and Beautiful All Things Wise and Wonderful The Lord God Made Them All All Creatures Great and Small & All Things Bright and Beautiful