Start by marking “The Book of Jhereg (Vlad Taltos, #1-3)” as Want to Read:
The Book of Jhereg (Vlad Taltos, #1-3)

The Book of Jhereg (Vlad Taltos #1-3 omnibus)

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  2,493 ratings  ·  154 reviews
FICTION,ADVENTURE.
CONTAINS THE COMPLETE TEXT OF
THE FIRST THREE ADVENTURES
OF VLAD TALTOS...
JHEREG, YENDI AND TECKLA
471 pages
Published 1999 (first published July 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Jhereg, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Jhereg

Miriam
Oh, authors, why can you not just write the stories in the order they occur?

Chronological order (according to the author): Taltos, Yendi, Jhereg, Teckla, Phoenix, Athyra, Orca.

BUT

"Many people whose opinions I respect believe publication order is best": Jhereg, Yendi, Teckla...

I've read all the books in this series at least once and never got the order of events straight. I'm starting to suspect that the internal chronology doesn't make sense and Brust is trying to disguise the fact.

And the fact
Wanda
An anthology containing the first three novels of the Vlad Taltos series. A very enjoyable introduction to his world and life. It did its job—I was sandwiched in a middle seat on an airplane, badly needing distraction from the two men I was shoe-horned between for the flight from Houston to Calgary (4 hours, if you’re interested). Dude on my left seemed to resent my very existence, so it was with great pleasure that I imagined my personal assassin, Vlad, doing his thing.

The first book (Jhereg) w
Rachel Schirra
May 16, 2007 Rachel Schirra rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tabletop roleplayers
Shelves: fiction
When the friend who recommended this to me explained that it was based on an extended tabletop roleplaying campaign the author participated in, suddenly everything that pissed me off about this book made perfect sense.
Amber Tucker
Feb 19, 2011 Amber Tucker rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Indiana Jones/Star Wars fans
Recommended to Amber by: Brad
Alan
Vladimir Taltos is a bit warped, but you might be too, if you grew up as the son of a self-hating human in Dragaera. It is an empire of sorcery and intrigue... for Dragaerans. For humans, it is mostly a world of drudgery and second or maybe even third-class citizenship. (The members of the House of Teckla, the serf-caste among the Dragaerans, might edge out most humans for second-class citizenship status.) Vlad has managed to come up in the world, though. And he's done it the only way a human ca ...more
Kris Larson
This contains the first three books in the Vlad Taltos series which chronicles the adventures of a young assassin for hire in one of the most original fantasy worlds I've ever encountered. This is definitely not based on medieval England, or anything I've read about. I used to read them when I was a kid and then spend the afternoon pretending to be an assassin with my own flourishing assassinary business. Now I read them and wish I was a kid so I could play it some more.

"'He wants to meet with y
Chris
Although I am not sure I think reading the books in published order is necessarily the best way (losing track of who knows whom is a little frustrating), it isn't too bad here, and Jhereg starts off the series quite nicely. I enjoyed the intrigue and the different characterizations quite a bit. The second book already gave me warnings of "problem of the week" syndrome, where Vlad has to tackle some new and difficult challenge and do it before 400 pages is up, but I did like the fleshing out of h ...more
Kathie
I very much enjoyed this omnibus.

You can find my review on just the Jhereg portion here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

The reason that I dropped a star on the overall review of this series is because I got pretty darned irritated with Vlad's wifey. I went from liking and respecting her as a strong, almost frightening character in her own right to being very irritated with the sudden and abrupt change in her personality.

Overall, however, the stories contained herein stay true to the ant
Helen
Jhereg done.

Lots of fun - even though the hero is the local sub-Boss of what passes for the Mob (and an assassin!) I really wanted him to win. Great stuff

Yendi done.

Surprisingly, Yendi happens before Jhereg, but they still stand alone so it makes no matter. Here, I got a bit lost about how the Houses differ to each other: both in physical appearance and "style" (Dzur - warriors, Yendi - plotters, Dragon - army commanders? Jherg - Mafia!). But still, a good light hearted romp which I enjoyed.

Tec
Everett Tilley
I liked it! I will read the rest of this series.

I loved the characterization (if not the characters) and the dialogue. I loved the silliness and the murderiness. I love love loved the cleverness, the puzzle-solving and people-reading.

I didn't love the change of tone in Teckla, which was also a great book but which - if the first two books are Dexter, with their "whee, murder!" vibe, then Teckla is Breaking Bad, and suddenly being made to realize how much I hate the main character and how horrib
Alan
This is a collection of the first three Vlad Taltos novels, and I read the first third of this so long ago I'm not going to go into it here, because I don't recall much of what I read.

I picked up this collection, because I had seen reviews comparing Taltos to a a fantasy James Bond. While I've moved Casio Royale up my TBR list I would say Taltos compares more to Harry Dresden than Bond (at least the movie version of Bond that I familiar with). Part of the reason is the first person narrative, an
Jen
A friend of mine handed me this as something to let my mind wander in between scholastic readings of the semester. I was ready to write it off as pulp fantasy, an easy read that meant nothing--and, on a certain level, I was right. But the really plain and somewhat silly quote on the front from Roger Zelazny is also right: "Watch Steven Brust. He surprises you."
Since this is a collection of three books, I will review them as such.

Jhereg

One of the things that drove me nuts about this book is Brust
David
Adrienne
Vlad Taltos is a low-level mob boss who also occasionally free-lances as an assassin. He's also an Easterner (read: human) in a city run by Dragaerans (read: elves, but not Legolas-type elves), who happen to despise Easterners. While Vlad claims to hate Dragaerans, his actions don't often show that, as he's a member of a Dragaeran house and even has a few Dragaeran friends and employees. And he's not too sympathetic with his own race, either, although he is married to an Easterner and fellow (ex ...more
Tal
"THere are many ways for a young man with quick wits and a quick sword to advance in the world. Vlad Taltos chose the route of the assassin. To his other qualifications he added two things. The first was a smattering of witchcraft - badly though of on Dragaera, but only a fool refuses a weapon.... The second was his constant companion, a young jhereg, its leathery wings and poisonous teeth always at Vlad's command, its alien mind psionically linked with his."

a fast easy page-turner, my only regr
Jennifer Margulis
This trilogy was a lot of fun to read. Vlad Taltos is an interesting protagonist--he gets nauseous every time he teleports, he lacks confidence, he surprises himself by his abilities. I like how in each novel he comes up with a convoluted plan and keeps the reader--and other characters--in suspense about it. Each ending doesn't disappoint, with Vlad coming up with solutions to impossible problems in ways just clever enough to be possible. He also gets himself killed several times. The world of t ...more
Jessica
This review is really for all the Vlad novels. Both times I've had a baby, I've picked a new fantasy series to read during the post-delivery, up at all hours of the night stage. With my first it was the Discworld books, and now it's these. My main criteria is that the series be a wholly-realized fantasy world, quick to read, funny, smart and engaging. This definitely fits the bill. Not as light as Discworld - Vlad is a mostly unapologetic assassin after all - the dark humor and well-drawn charac ...more
Midnightcrawler
"Awfully" enjoyable:D It's hard not to fall in love with the main character Vlad Taltos (assassin by profession), in spite of all his flaws and rather twisted point of view on life as a whole. It's pretty impressive to keep track of the messes he manages to get into and the witty ways he uses to handle them (with questionable results sometimes). His occasional falterings, however, simply add more credibility to his character and gain readers' sympathy somehow (I don't know how exactly:)))).
Anot
Benjamin
I was a little disappointed by this omnibus, which was my introduction the Taltos books. I'm not sure why Jhereg was printed first since it presumes prior knowledge of things that don't get elaborated on. Plus, I was a little annoyed that such a powerful, immortal race needed a lowly human to figure stuff out for them. Yendi was better and was a decent story. Teckla was stupid. (view spoiler) Lame. No ...more
Ευθυμία Δεσποτάκη
φάνταζι νουάρ, με φοβερές ιδέες. Ήρωας είναι ο Vlad Taltos, ένας Εasterner (σαν ανθρώπους τους παρουσιάζει), που από κόλλημα του πατέρα του καταλήγει να είναι Dragaeran πολίτης (αυτούς τους παρουσιάζει λίγο σαν ξωτικά). Οι Dragaerans είναι χωρισμένοι σε 17 Οίκους, με ονόματα που παραπέμπουν σε ζώα κι ο Vlad κατοθρώνει να γίνει δεκτός στον Οίκο των Jhereg, που μοιάζουν με δράκους τσέπης.

Είναι φανταστικός ο διαχωρισμός που κάνει ο συγγραφέας μεταξύ της sorcery, που χρησιμοποιούν οι Dragaerans και
Matt W.
The Book of Jhereg was an excellent book that I faintly remember reading several years ago during my elementary school years. Of course back then I didn’t really understand the book and I discarded it as nonsense. Recently I decided to come back to it because of a lack of quality reading material. I must say, now that I can actually understand the content, it is an amazing book.
What I really enjoy about this delightful novel is all of the diverse characters that it contains. It has bloodthirsty
Anand
for a guy who debuted in 80's I'm not sure Steven Brust is a house hold name in fantasy circles.I've always believed that he had kind of exclusive cult of readers ,like that of Mathew wooding stover's Acts of caine. But certainly if i'm to pick under rated/unread gems in fantasy 4 names comes to my mind: Steven Brust's vlad Taltos, Mathew wooding stover's Acts of caine, janny wurts's Wars of light and Shadow and J V jones's sword of shadows.

Book of jhereg is the anthology of first 3 books in vla
James Oden
This is a collection of three books telling stories about the life of Vlad Taltos. The stories are not in chronological order, which seems to bother some, but did not bother me in the slightest. The tone of the first two books is almost Good Fellows like. The main character Vlad Taltos is an assassin and head of crime organization (only in another world, where there is a race of humanoids that descend from dragons). The first two books were what I would call pulp. It was the same cock sure tough ...more
Stormytiggs
Good dialog-driven fantasy in a very detailed magical and late-medieval world. Right from the start, you feel like you're living in Taltos's busy town, Adrilankha, where he is a professional assassin, and the leader of a growing and competitive crime family. Taltos is surrounded by an interesting collection of associates and rogues, and their inter-personal relationships and plots, are the focus of the stories, rather than hack and slash brutality. The magic system in the series is also intrigui ...more
Danielle Futoran
Vanessa
This is a compilation of three short books, so I reviewed each as I went (all earned 3 stars individually). Since I actually read the omnibus edition, however, I am consolidating my reviews here:

BOOK 1: JHEREG

Read from March 04 to 10, 2012

The good: As other reviews have stated, this is more like a detective story set in a fantasy universe. The tone is very modern, and the magic and other fantasy elements are accepted by all the characters as the way the world works and never dwelt upon. I would
Tomgroff
Jenn
Jhereg - 7/7/13 - Why does most of the good fantasy seem to revolve around assassins? I enjoyed this one a lot. I own The Book of Jhereg, which has the first three books in the Vlad Taltos series. I immediately jumped right into the story. I liked the characters and the world. I am a bit confused as to how their government and cycles work (and I'm 1/3 into the third book and it's not getting any clearer), but that's fairly minor compared to how much I'm enjoying it.

Yendi - 7/8/13 - I read this i
John Kim
I'm not much of a fantasy reader these days, but Steven Brust is one major exception.

Vlad Taltos is not exactly a Tolkienesque epic hero. If you rolled up James Bond, and mixed in a heavy dose of Tony Soprano, and stuck him in a magical land which somehow might remind you of the seedy side of Jersey, then you might get an idea of what his Vlad Taltos series is all about.

He's an assassin by trade who runs his territory with brutal efficiency. He has a sidekick (aka familiar) called Loiosh who com
Goodreads Developers: How to tell if an author is a narrator 2 10 Oct 29, 2014 03:53PM
Goodreads Librari...: Missing Page Count for ISBN 0739406671 2 161 Oct 14, 2013 11:33AM
  • The God Stalker Chronicles (Kencyrath, #1-2)
  • Prophecies, Libels & Dreams: Stories
  • The Bible Repairman and Other Stories
  • The Ware Tetralogy (Ware, #1-4)
  • Shadows Past (Borderlands, #3)
  • Lady in Gil (Gil Trilogy, #1)
  • Gods in Darkness: The Complete Novels of Kane
  • The Deed of Paksenarrion (The Deed of Paksenarrion, #1-3)
  • The Legend of Nightfall (Nightfall, #1)
  • The Well of the Unicorn
  • Ink (The Book of All Hours, #2)
  • Dragon and Phoenix (Dragonlord, #2)
  • The Year's Best Dark Fantasy & Horror, 2012 Edition
  • Silent City
  • Myth Direction / Hit or Myth (Myth Adventures, #3-4)
  • The Dewey Decimal System
  • Elric: The Stealer of Souls (Chronicles of the Last Emperor of Melniboné, #1)
  • Flesh and Spirit (Lighthouse, #1)
Steven Karl Zoltán Brust (born November 23, 1955) is an American fantasy and science fiction author of Hungarian descent. He was a member of the writers' group The Scribblies, which included Emma Bull, Pamela Dean, Will Shetterly, Nate Bucklin, Kara Dalkey, and Patricia Wrede, and also belongs to the Pre-Joycean Fellowship.

(Photo by David Dyer-Bennet)
More about Steven Brust...

Vlad Taltos (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Jhereg (Vlad Taltos, #1)
  • Yendi (Vlad Taltos, #2)
  • Teckla (Vlad Taltos, #3)
  • Taltos (Vlad Taltos, #4)
  • Phoenix (Vlad Taltos, #5)
  • Athyra (Vlad Taltos, #6)
  • Orca (Vlad Taltos, #7)
  • Dragon (Vlad Taltos, #8)
  • Issola (Vlad Taltos, #9)
  • Dzur (Vlad Taltos, #10)
Jhereg (Vlad Taltos, #1) Yendi (Vlad Taltos, #2) Taltos (Vlad Taltos, #4) Phoenix (Vlad Taltos, #5) Dragon (Vlad Taltos, #8)