Start by marking “Island Song” as Want to Read:
Island Song

Island Song

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  81 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Two years after the death of his lover, Garrett Davidson finds himself sitting in a Hawaiian beach shack, gazing out over the vast, empty Pacific. He has nothing left. Despair has robbed him of his elegant home, his lucrative job and his sanity. The single thread holding him to reality is the story he has come to this shack to write: Marc's story, the story of his lost lov ...more
Paperback, 1st Edition, 292 pages
Published September 8th 2008 by Zumaya Publications Us (first published August 15th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Island Song, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Island Song

Drawn Together by Z.A. MaxfieldOne Night in Bangkok by Gale StanleyMexican Heat by Laura BaumbachCollision Course by K.A. MitchellWith Love by J.L. Langley
Best Gay Multicultural Lovers
202nd out of 235 books — 198 voters
Purgatory by Jeff MannWhen the Music Stops by John T. FullerP’tit Cadeau by Anel VizFaster Than the Speed of Light by Lucius ParhelionHidden Away by J.W. Kilhey
Best Underrated M/M Books
208th out of 345 books — 237 voters

More lists with this book...

Bryl Tyne
Oct 24, 2008 Bryl Tyne rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone searching for a deeper meaning to life and love
Although marketed as paranormal erotic romance, this book is SO MUCH MORE! Island Song is full of page turning, artfully depicted adventures and involves many touching issues that could make the toughest of hearts weep.

However, erotic - Island Song is not. I found the love scenes tastefully written. Without adding the "gag" of purple prose, the scenes were descriptive enough to visualize while bearing just the right amount of enticing sensuality.

Don't get me wrong, the romance between Garrett a
Elisa Rolle
When I first read the blurb of this book I thought, well another story setting in Hawaii, probably I will find beautiful sands, beautiful beaches, a easy-to-go way of life, a bit of mythology, surf, hula... what else am I missing from the typical Hawaiian postcard? And yes, in Island Song there is all of that but also something more, I really was not expecting to be so moved by the story, and I really was not expecting how easy was to read this book, , the book makes itself read, and you lost th ...more
Feliz
Aug 22, 2012 Feliz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so full of pain and love and colors, of strength, cruelty, harmony, of failure, sadness, fulfillment and dignity, just like life itself. A journey to experience, a dream to dream, and a silence to help you focus, set in a Hawai'i that is nothing at all like the movieset perfection you'll find in other books. This book had 450+pages, and I read it in one go, am still floating from the experience. Beautiful, just beautiful.
Victor J.
Aug 24, 2009 Victor J. rated it it was amazing
A haunting beautiful tale of love and redemption, set against an exquisitely evoked island setting.
Jenre
Aug 13, 2009 Jenre rated it it was amazing
This mystical, paranormal love story uses ideas taken from all kinds of religions from Christianity to Eastern mysticism and creates an unusual story of one man's recovery from grief and his relationship with a young Hawiian man.

Island Song begins when Garrett arrives at a small resort in Hawaii determined to escape his busy, stressful life in San Francisco and spend six months writing the biography of his now dead lover Marc. We learn of Garrett and Marc's relationship through a series of flash
Mark Kendrick
Oct 01, 2011 Mark Kendrick rated it it was amazing
Clearly, Alan has been to Hawaii. The first thing you notice when reading this tale is the lushness of the Big Island, the grandeur of the forests, the life-filled waters - all of which are detailed by someone who had to be there to see all of those vistas. Then you're absorbed in Garrett's pain, a life-wrenching pain that's followed him from San Francisco all the way to the island.

Enter Songoree, a native Hawaiian who captures Garrett's heart slowly but surely. And therein lies the tale. Wherea
Meggie
Aug 25, 2010 Meggie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to say that this is really heavy meaning story.

This book and the story gives you some deep meaning and I know it will stay with me for a a long time. The story is deep and you just have to read it to understand it. I will say that this is special book and I really liked the deeper meaning of life which is drawn in this story.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
Karen
Jul 12, 2015 Karen rated it liked it

After enjoying The Lonely War thoroughly, I was prepared to love this book. The glimpses of eastern philosophy and Polynesian religion were fascinating.

The storyline and romance, not so much.

There was an otherworldly, slow-burn feel to the romance between Garrett and Songoree, but it was punctuated by WTF moments that I just didn't understand. Like the night that Garrett (view spoiler)

The ending
PaperMoon
May 13, 2013 PaperMoon rated it liked it
A slowish start at first but the author builds character interest, plot momentum and dramatic tension from about a third of the way through. Chin does a great job describing the Hawaiian native cultural beliefs and practices as well as the lay of the land – a warning though, some existential / philosophical passages may put off some readers not wanting too much ‘deep heavy stuff’.

Chin does however build the attraction between Garrett and Songaree well and there’s a satisfying climatic ending af
Snowtulip
Feb 16, 2011 Snowtulip rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
Once again, amazing storytelling from Alan Chin. This book made me vividly experience all of my senses, something that does not easily happen while reading a book. This book had more spirituality than other books of his that I've read, which lent itself well to the beauty of the story. I did not like the last chapter of the book (wish it wasn't included), but the rating is based on the story as a whole and the depth of emotion that it brought to the reader. Beautiful!
Jen
A very heavy story. A good one, though. Someone labeled it Erotic, but it's far from what I consider an Erotic story. The sex scenes are very tame in comparison to a typical romance novel. Garrett didn't seem like a typical A personality usually associated with a Navy Seal so the fight near the end kind of came out of nowhere. Regardless, it was well written and kept me reading to the end. Will read it again sometime.
Brittany
Aug 04, 2012 Brittany marked it as dropped-book
Shelves: m-m
Good god is this book patronizing. I don't care if I've read up to page 281 on my kindle (and only have 100 pages left to go). I am dropping it. The book does have some great passages, but lets be real. Nobody talks like these characters do in real life. There's a thin line between being pretentious and being self-aware. Island Song, IMO, leans heavily towards the former.
Victoria
I liked it, but I never made an connection to the story or Garrett and Songee.
Indie Reviews
Dec 04, 2010 Indie Reviews rated it liked it

3.5 for Island Song by Alan Chin
Pam
Pam rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Jen Sainty
Jen Sainty rated it it was ok
Mar 10, 2016
Nagisa Furukawa
Nagisa Furukawa marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Nina
Nina added it
Mar 06, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Mother
Mother marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Sweetalpha135
Sweetalpha135 marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2015
Frank Claudy
Frank Claudy rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2015
Derynmorin1970
Derynmorin1970 marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Tex Reader
Tex Reader marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Arch Bala
Arch Bala marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Anna
Anna added it
Apr 23, 2015
Rapu
Rapu added it
Apr 07, 2016
wesley
wesley marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
BarbaraM
BarbaraM marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
A note of thanks from the author 1 13 Oct 24, 2008 03:36PM
  • Gregori's Ghost
  • Saviours of Oestend (Oestend, #2)
  • First Time for Everything
  • All's Fair in Love and Advertising
  • The Riddle of the Sands (Fathom's Five, #2)
  • The Wish (The Wish, #1)
  • Mosaic Moon (Master Chronicles, #3)
  • Chasing Winter (Warm Rush, #1)
  • A Vampire in Waikiki (Vampire in Waikiki, #1)
  • Bashed
  • Caught
  • Trilogy No. 111: Speak Its Name
  • Broken (Broken #1)
  • Boys of the Bite: A Gay Vampire Anthology
  • Parking Lot Hero (A Powers of Love Story)
  • Bound To Please (Playing for Keeps, #2)
  • False Start
  • After Anna (After Anna, #1)
2048963
Alan Chin was born in Ogden, Utah, where he was christened, Alan Lewis Hurlburt. He was raised in San Jose, California where he enjoyed an undistinguished childhood. After graduating high school, Alan served four years in the U.S. Navy where he learned and practiced the trade of aircraft mechanic while stationed at the naval air station in Kingsville, Texas.
Alan attended four years of night schoo
More about Alan Chin...