Island Song

Island Song

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Two years after the death of his lover, Garrett Davidson finds himself sitting in a Hawaiian beach shack, gazing out over the vast, empty Pacific. He has nothing left. Despair has robbed him of his elegant home, his lucrative job and his sanity. The single thread holding him to reality is the story he has come to this shack to write: Marc's story, the story of his lost lov...more
Paperback, 1st Edition, 292 pages
Published September 8th 2008 by Zumaya Publications Us (first published August 15th 2008)

Drawn Together by Z.A. MaxfieldMexican Heat by Laura BaumbachCollision Course by K.A. MitchellWith Love by J.L. LangleyePistols at Dawn by Z.A. Maxfield
Best Gay Multicultural Lovers
183rd out of 216 books — 144 voters
Hot Head by Damon SuedeTigers and Devils by Sean KennedyBear, Otter, and the Kid by T.J. KluneSomething Like Summer by Jay BellSno Ho by Ethan Day
M/M Books Written By Men
458th out of 718 books — 459 voters

More lists with this book...

Bryl Tyne
Oct 24, 2008 Bryl Tyne rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Anyone searching for a deeper meaning to life and love
Although marketed as paranormal erotic romance, this book is SO MUCH MORE! Island Song is full of page turning, artfully depicted adventures and involves many touching issues that could make the toughest of hearts weep.

However, erotic - Island Song is not. I found the love scenes tastefully written. Without adding the "gag" of purple prose, the scenes were descriptive enough to visualize while bearing just the right amount of enticing sensuality.

Don't get me wrong, the romance between Garrett a...more
Elisa Ramblings
When I first read the blurb of this book I thought, well another story setting in Hawaii, probably I will find beautiful sands, beautiful beaches, a easy-to-go way of life, a bit of mythology, surf, hula... what else am I missing from the typical Hawaiian postcard? And yes, in Island Song there is all of that but also something more, I really was not expecting to be so moved by the story, and I really was not expecting how easy was to read this book, , the book makes itself read, and you lost th...more
Feliz
This book was so full of pain and love and colors, of strength, cruelty, harmony, of failure, sadness, fulfillment and dignity, just like life itself. A journey to experience, a dream to dream, and a silence to help you focus, set in a Hawai'i that is nothing at all like the movieset perfection you'll find in other books. This book had 450+pages, and I read it in one go, am still floating from the experience. Beautiful, just beautiful.
Victor J.
A haunting beautiful tale of love and redemption, set against an exquisitely evoked island setting.
Jenre
This mystical, paranormal love story uses ideas taken from all kinds of religions from Christianity to Eastern mysticism and creates an unusual story of one man's recovery from grief and his relationship with a young Hawiian man.

Island Song begins when Garrett arrives at a small resort in Hawaii determined to escape his busy, stressful life in San Francisco and spend six months writing the biography of his now dead lover Marc. We learn of Garrett and Marc's relationship through a series of flash...more
Mark Kendrick
Clearly, Alan has been to Hawaii. The first thing you notice when reading this tale is the lushness of the Big Island, the grandeur of the forests, the life-filled waters - all of which are detailed by someone who had to be there to see all of those vistas. Then you're absorbed in Garrett's pain, a life-wrenching pain that's followed him from San Francisco all the way to the island.

Enter Songoree, a native Hawaiian who captures Garrett's heart slowly but surely. And therein lies the tale. Wherea...more
Meggie
I have to say that this is really heavy meaning story.

This book and the story gives you some deep meaning and I know it will stay with me for a a long time. The story is deep and you just have to read it to understand it. I will say that this is special book and I really liked the deeper meaning of life which is drawn in this story.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
PaperMoon
A slowish start at first but the author builds character interest, plot momentum and dramatic tension from about a third of the way through. Chin does a great job describing the Hawaiian native cultural beliefs and practices as well as the lay of the land – a warning though, some existential / philosophical passages may put off some readers not wanting too much ‘deep heavy stuff’.

Chin does however build the attraction between Garrett and Songaree well and there’s a satisfying climatic ending af...more
Snowtulip
Once again, amazing storytelling from Alan Chin. This book made me vividly experience all of my senses, something that does not easily happen while reading a book. This book had more spirituality than other books of his that I've read, which lent itself well to the beauty of the story. I did not like the last chapter of the book (wish it wasn't included), but the rating is based on the story as a whole and the depth of emotion that it brought to the reader. Beautiful!
Jen
A very heavy story. A good one, though. Someone labeled it Erotic, but it's far from what I consider an Erotic story. The sex scenes are very tame in comparison to a typical romance novel. Garrett didn't seem like a typical A personality usually associated with a Navy Seal so the fight near the end kind of came out of nowhere. Regardless, it was well written and kept me reading to the end. Will read it again sometime.
Brittany
Aug 04, 2012 Brittany marked it as dropped-book
Shelves: m-m
Good god is this book patronizing. I don't care if I've read up to page 281 on my kindle (and only have 100 pages left to go). I am dropping it. The book does have some great passages, but lets be real. Nobody talks like these characters do in real life. There's a thin line between being pretentious and being self-aware. Island Song, IMO, leans heavily towards the former.
Victoria
I liked it, but I never made an connection to the story or Garrett and Songee.
Indie Reviews

3.5 for Island Song by Alan Chin
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Lei
Lei marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2014
Ori
Ori marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
Lucia
Lucia marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2013
Caden
Caden marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2013
Lynnette Hartwig
Lynnette Hartwig marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2013
Kevin Orth
Kevin Orth marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2013
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2013
Meltem Donmez
Meltem Donmez marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2013
Kendall
Kendall marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2013
A note of thanks from the author 1 13 Oct 24, 2008 03:36PM
  • What Happened to Larry Alan?
  • Chains of Love (Blue Ruin, #3)
  • A Vampire in Waikiki (Vampire in Waikiki, #1)
  • First Time for Everything
  • Scared Stiff
  • All's Fair in Love and Advertising
  • Mosaic Moon (Master Chronicles, #3)
  • Trilogy No. 111: Speak Its Name
  • Boys of the Bite: A Gay Vampire Anthology
  • Gregori's Ghost
  • Cat's Quill
  • The Saint of San Francisco (Saint of San Francisco, #1)
  • The Heart of the Jungle
  • His Name Is John (Elliott Smith #1)
  • The Wish (The Wish, #1)
  • His Brother's Keeper
  • The Riddle of the Sands (Fathom's Five #2)
  • Chasing Winter (Warm Rush, #1)
2048963
Alan Chin was born in Ogden, Utah, where he was christened, Alan Lewis Hurlburt. He was raised in San Jose, California where he enjoyed an undistinguished childhood. After graduating high school, Alan served four years in the U.S. Navy where he learned and practiced the trade of aircraft mechanic while stationed at the naval air station in Kingsville, Texas.
Alan attended four years of night schoo...more
More about Alan Chin...