Start by marking “Chasing the Dragon” as Want to Read:
Chasing the Dragon

Chasing the Dragon (North Beach Mystery #1)

3.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  49 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
A complicated, shadowy man in disgrace, Dante Mancuso leads a double life. Lately, though, the line he walks has become razor thin.

Dante works for The Company, a nebulous security organization operating just this side of the law. Dante wants out, but it's a hard life to leave behind-rich with its own seductions, its own dark attractions.

His latest assignment sends him ba
Published March 21st 2006 by Minotaur Books (first published October 4th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Chasing the Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chasing the Dragon

Ellen Keim
This book just didn't do it for me. I didn't really warm to any of the characters and the events were confusing. There were a lot of references to places around San Francisco which may have been interesting if I was familiar with that city, but there wasn't enough here to make me feel as if I was there. I don't mind the ending being left hanging, but almost everything else was, too. It's a shame because the book had potential. Maybe I'm being too negative; someone else might like it just fine. B ...more
Adam
Sep 13, 2011 Adam rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
LJ
CHASING THE DRAGON (Unlicensed-San Francisco-Cont) – Ok
Domenic Stansberry – 6th book
St. Martin’s Minotaur, 2004- Hardcover
Dante Mancuso, forced out after seven years with the San Francisco police, as been working around the world for “The Company.” They’ve now sent him back to San Francisco just at the time when his father has died. But when his uncle gives him photo negatives from his father, and his uncle is murdered, Dante questions his father’s death and what is behind it all.
*** The most in
Kay
May 14, 2015 Kay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Seduced by the gorgeous painting of the Golden Gate Bridge, I picked up this noir mystery that is not at all my cup of tea. The depiction of North Beach and the tension between the Italian and Chinese communities kept me hanging on. One of those fast-paced books that ends quickly and leaves you feeling empty.
Andrew
Noirish mystery that centers around drug and human trafficking in San Francisco ports. The end is filled with enough double crosses to make any Noir buff happy, but I found myself pining for a little bit of wisecracking from the hero. However, Stansberry's observational skills bring San Francisco's waterfront and Italian-American community to fabulous life. I will definitely check out the next in this series
John Onoda
Jun 17, 2010 John Onoda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a straightforward thriller, set in San Francisco. Since I live in the Bay Area, I'm always interested to see how authors portray the city and use its rich environment to tell a story. Author Domenic Stansberry does this well, especially when he delves into the Chinese and Italian communities that are settled next to each other on the north end of town.
Donald
Sep 16, 2010 Donald rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book more than I thought I would! I loved the setting and the characters - North Beach, San Francisco and a bunch of Italians! Good action and a good mystery! And a pretty quick read too! A nice summer treat! I would definitely be interested in reading the next one!
Vicki Cline
Sep 09, 2010 Vicki Cline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other-mysteries
The author successfully keeps up a sense of forboding and menace throughout the book. I'm more used to first person detective stories, but this kept me involved and worried about what was going to happen next. I'm looking forward to the next one in the series.
Stephanie
Sep 13, 2009 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best modern day hard-edged noir I've read in years. The next two in the series fall far short of their predecessor, but CHASING THE DRAGON is well worth reading if you're a picky noir fan.
Seth
May 29, 2008 Seth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
Started out as a better-than-average crime thriller -- in a field where the average is pretty abysmal -- but didn't fulfill its promise. Another bedtime book that didn't do the job.
Tuck
Jul 02, 2010 Tuck rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
why is this guy considered a good author? this was flat, not believable, not rough enough. good for the 4 door pickup morning donut crowd maybe.
Daryl
Jan 06, 2009 Daryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a good book, tho I suspect if I had read earlier books about this character I would have enjoyed it more.
Monique
A good page-turner. Nice descriptions of North Beach, Chinatown and other San Francisco locations. Decent plot.
Sloan
Aug 03, 2010 Sloan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting but not compelling. The flavor of North Beach surrounds a somewhat unfulfilling mystery.
Sarah Mellington-Smith
love a vampire story - especially with a werewolf!
Monica Cecilio
Monica Cecilio marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Beiza
Beiza added it
Jan 18, 2016
Matt Kelly
Matt Kelly rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2016
Dan London
Dan London rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2016
Sarah-jane Vidana
Sarah-jane Vidana marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2015
Rachael Cudlitz
Rachael Cudlitz rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2015
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Carlos
Carlos marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Randall Pink Floyd
Randall Pink Floyd rated it it was ok
Dec 21, 2014
Glenn M
Glenn M rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2014
Frederick Garber
Frederick Garber rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2014
Judy Frye
Judy Frye rated it it was ok
Oct 11, 2014
Dean Muller
Dean Muller rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Domenic Stansberry is an Edgar Award winning novelist known for his dark, innovative crime novels. His most recent novel The Ancient Rain, is set in the aftermath of 9/ll, when a federal investigator re-opens murder charges in a politically charged slaying that occurred some thirty years before. Other books in the same series include The Big Boom and Chasing the Dragon.

An earlier novel, The Confes
More about Domenic Stansberry...

North Beach Mystery (4 books)
  • The Big Boom