Start by marking “I Will Teach You To Be Rich” as Want to Read:
I Will Teach You To Be Rich

I Will Teach You To Be Rich

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  9,419 Ratings  ·  710 Reviews
At last, for a generation that's materially ambitious yet financially clueless comes I Will Teach You To Be Rich, Ramit Sethi's 6-week personal finance program for 20-to-35-year-olds. A completely practical approach delivered with a nonjudgmental style that makes readers want to do what Sethi says, it is based around the four pillars of personal finance--banking, saving, b ...more
Published March 23rd 2009 by Workman Publishing Company (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about I Will Teach You To Be Rich, please sign up.

Ido
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
The Total Money Makeover by Dave RamseyThe Richest Man in Babylon by George S. ClasonThe Millionaire Next Door by Thomas J. StanleyRich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert T. KiyosakiYour Money or Your Life by Vicki Robin
Best Books About Money
6th out of 146 books — 299 voters
The Millionaire Next Door by Thomas J. StanleyThe Total Money Makeover by Dave RamseyThe Richest Man in Babylon by George S. ClasonI Will Teach You To Be Rich by Ramit SethiAn Average Joe's Pursuit for Financial Freedom by Michael Warren Munsey
Personal Finance
4th out of 85 books — 133 voters

More lists with this book...

Chad Warner
Apr 09, 2011 Chad Warner rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Chad by: StartupNation
Shelves: finance, non-fiction
This is definitely the best personal finance book I've read so far. It's a logical, step-by-step, practical handbook for financial success, specially written for twenty-somethings. It was better than the personal finance books I've read by Eric Tyson, Andrew Tobias, Dave Ramsey, Suze Orman, and Robert Kiyosaki. See my Finance shelf on Goodreads for my reviews of those books.

Sethi gives advice on “automatically enabling yourself to save, invest, and spend - enjoying it, not feeling guilty...becau
Dustin Taylor
Jun 03, 2010 Dustin Taylor rated it liked it
Shelves: finance
While I don’t agree with everything he said, I do agree with some of the things he talks about. I personally found the investment chapters worth reading as I didn’t know very much and he lined out what my options were and explained what they were in a clear and fun way. The entire thing about using a credit card for everything to get points and other “benefits” doesn’t quite work for me, but it may for him. I don’t know anybody who has ever gotten rich because they received points from credit ca ...more
Jason
Mar 13, 2010 Jason rated it really liked it
I tried summarizing the main things to learn at:

I've pasted the most important bits below, but for a lot more (hopefully useful) info, check out the linked doc.

The Overall Gist: This book is about how to manage your money, particularly for young people (20's). It's about the 85% solution: most young people don't manage their money because they believe they have to be experts, but what actually matters is getting started NOW, even it's only 85% right.

6-Week
Alex Pyatetsky
Jul 27, 2015 Alex Pyatetsky rated it really liked it
I've never wanted to give a book 2 stars so badly. As a warm blooded, heterosexual male - the obnoxiousness and irrelevance of Ramit's frequent fratboy asides is really grating. I'm sure he has some kind of "gotta break some eggs to make an omelette" rationale, but buyer beware. You're going to read some shit that sounds like Tucker Max, minus the funny.

THAT SAID - I gave the book 4 stars.

Why? If you don't have your finances in order, Ramit gives you a clear, actionable plan on what to do, what
Jean-Luc
Jun 05, 2009 Jean-Luc rated it it was amazing
In one chapter, this book briefly describes a girl that spends $5,000/year on shoes. Since it's a book on being rich, I figured she *must* be rich in order to waste that much money on shoes. But no, her annual income is about half mine. She's able to do this because she decided that "$5,000/year on shoes" was her own personal definition of "rich" and she oriented her life around that decision.

That's all this book is: deciding for yourself what it means to be rich and acting on it. Everything's b
Jamie
Mar 26, 2012 Jamie rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
Ramit has some good points in this book. I liked his no-BS approach and I found his points about automating finances worthwhile, if it didn't exactly give me new information. I found the section about investing to provide helpful information about index funds, which I had wondered about. He is right on the money about saving up for weddings/homes too, which somehow people just expect to pull massive amounts of money together for, on a whim. Excellent points, all.

That said, I really dislike this
Emily Whetstone
May 06, 2013 Emily Whetstone rated it liked it
Don't let my star rating mislead you. You should read this book. The advice is very good and clear.

I just can't honestly say I loved it, because I found the author's examples of what it means to be rich (repeated references to being fed grapes, etc, by lovely younger women) to be off-putting. Also, the layout is terrible. The flow of chapters are continually interrupted by smaller stand-alone sections, which should have been better placed so you wouldn't have to choose between interrupting the
Eric
May 27, 2009 Eric rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is a great personal finance book for people in their 20's. It teaches simple lessons on how to apply personal finance in the internet age. I love how relevant the book is to my life, and my finances. Moreover, it was comforting to find out that I had already implemented several of the author's suggestions. Great read.
Anotherjesse
Apr 07, 2009 Anotherjesse rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people who haven't gotten their financials in order
The author is a co-founder of PBWiki. Having known David (other co-founder of PBWiki) since moving to the bay area, I decided it was worth taking a chance on this book.

Overall it was disappointing. Most chapters had as much information as a good blog post. He spent too much time repeating himself and making stupid jokes. I give it 1 star on style. I wish Gini Trapini had written it.

The actual content is good. Anyone who doesn't have a good financial system in place should read it. The actual in
Abinadi Ayerdis
Nov 10, 2015 Abinadi Ayerdis rated it it was amazing
I only wish I could rate this book six stars. This book is everything I never knew I always wanted. Ramit's advice hit me like a dump truck to the face ... like an icicle in my brain ... like distilled truth smeared on my eyes. My life is now divided into two distinct times: impoverished ignorance and post-book richness. Read this book, my friends, and know its goodness.
Ali  M.
Apr 19, 2016 Ali M. rated it it was amazing
There is an Iranian saying that says something "enters one ear and leaves the next". I find this applies to the majority of books I read. However the exact opposite applied to this book. It was very good. It was so good that even though I checked it out from the library and finished it, I'm going to go ahead and buy it too.

This is a personal finance book aimed for people in their 20s and 30s. You are out of school, have some level of income, but probably don't have a house or children. If you ar
Marcel
May 13, 2015 Marcel rated it it was ok
It's hard to take what this guy says seriously after reading the Millionaire Fastlane and living a lifestyle congruent with that book. My suggestion would be to read that first and then pass on this one rather than wasting your time. Go out there and create some value instead of rolling in the slowlane like Ramit suggests! I will teach you to be rich? More like, I will get rich from selling you this book while you stay poor making marginal gains on shitty investments.
Brian
May 30, 2015 Brian rated it really liked it
"The single most important factor to getting rich is getting started, not being the smartest person in the room." Kindle location 169

This should be required reading for everyone (especially young adults) who feels unsure about their financial direction. The author lets you define what rich is to you, maybe being out of debt brings a richness to your life and subtracts stress, and therefore you are satisfied, rich as he might say. Its not all about buying a plane or yacht, but if those are your g
Alexandra
Dec 30, 2015 Alexandra rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, self-help
Welp this took me nearly a year to read but it was WORTH IT. Ramit is swarmy AF but dude knows his shit about investing, cutting debt and planning for the future. All his advice is thoughtful, well explained and totally attainable no matter your situation. Highly recommended for young people looking for direction with regards to their personal finances.
Kashif
Apr 17, 2015 Kashif rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finance
The first personal finance book I have read and the last I'm going to read for a while. That's because this book is chalk full of awesome, practical advice like the 50/10/10/30 rule of money management and saving to tangible goals.

Comes very highly recommended to get you on your way to financial glory.
Zachariah
Mar 29, 2014 Zachariah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, how-to
I've casually studied personal finance for years, and this book really sums it up. It's the perfect book for young 20 and 30 somethings, both the content and the sometimes sassy tone :).

I WIll Teach You To Be Rich is the no-bullshit, no-hype, fundamentals of personal finance, from how to manage your money and debt, how to choose banking and credit accounts, how to save for retirement, how to invest, how to negotiate, and a lot of great tips in between (like most credit cards extend electronic wa
Jen Serdetchnaia
Jun 13, 2016 Jen Serdetchnaia rated it liked it
In cramming three personal finance books into my brain one after the other, I have learned that the secret to wealth is to consistently spend less than you earn and invest the rest in an index fund.

Other tips:
- Balance your portfolio by buying more of what’s doing worse (cheap) and less of what’s doing better (expensive)—it will balance out eventually
- Stick to the budget of abundance: spend on what makes you happy, save on what doesn’t matter to you
- Always invest part of your raise, and you
Lyn
Mar 29, 2009 Lyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009
Let me preface my review by first saying that I love Ramit. I've been reading his blog for over 2 years, and so it isn't surprising that I would thoroughly endorse his book.

Ramit has a very straight forward approach to personal finance. His writing is geared toward 20/30-somethings early in their careers, but his principles can be applied to anyone. The premise is simple: you need to spend less than you make ... you need to make decisions about where you are going to spend your money (conscious
Chris Johnson
Aug 04, 2012 Chris Johnson rated it liked it
I was curious about Ramit.

I don't love everything about what he's doing, but I think he's a Challenger Sale kind of blogger. He knows what he knows, and he's mostly right.

I've been following Dave Ramsey - and what I can say is this book beats the crap out of dave.

The basic message behind Dave's stuff is this: you're stupid, spending is stupid, and you should feel guilty every time you spend a little money that's not perfectly planned. Oh, and you have to eat crap food and drive a clunker if you
Rob
Sep 08, 2010 Rob rated it it was amazing
I like Ramit's style. Personal finance can be a boring topic, but Ramit spices it up with Indian flavor (which he does refer to in print!). He addresses his mom, tells anecdotes about his friends spending thousands of dollars on shoes, and keeps the topic light while dropping knowledge on you.

Having already read The Wealthy Barber and constructed my own budget, I was already familiar with the basics of personal finance going into this book. However, what I really liked were his specific pieces o
Mike
Nov 15, 2014 Mike rated it really liked it
I've been following Ramit's blog for a long time and this book had been on my "to read" pile for a long time. I'm definitely glad I finally read it. There is a TON of really great information in it. A lot of it was familiar, from reading the blog, but it was very well structured and "all in one place". I would definitely recommend it, particularly for readers that are just starting out in life. It would make a really amazing graduation gift.
Vinit Nayak
Jan 31, 2016 Vinit Nayak rated it really liked it
Excellent for all twenty something idiots (especially those in tech who have disposable incomes) who don't know a lot about investing. This book isn't trying to be flashy and hot and show you how to get rich quick, it does the opposite and lists all the steps to make sound, long term financial investments.

The writing style, jokes and metaphors of Ramit Sethi are complete garbage, but the content is solid. He also gives very doable action items for each of his chapters, so you don't just read an
Chris Jennings
May 29, 2015 Chris Jennings rated it it was amazing
Glad I finally got around to reading this one. I had met Ramit Sethi when I hosted one of his courses on CreativeLive. While I was impressed with his delivery and he seemed like a genuine guy, I was still frightened by any finance book. This book really helped to ease some of the financial fears that I had and make everything more manageable. I hate thinking about money and Ramit's automation techniques really simplified things for me and took the uncertainty out of month to month finances. Ther ...more
Kayliegh Hill
Feb 01, 2016 Kayliegh Hill rated it it was amazing
As someone who knows virtually nothing about savings or investment, this book blew my mind. I learned so much (that I probably should have already known) and finished feeling inspired to take control of my financial future. Actually, the book prompts you to take a number of action steps while reading, so I'm already on my way! Highly recommended to anyone who doesn't know where to begin with personal finance and money management.
Katie
Jun 24, 2016 Katie rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-improvement
This is probably the easiest personal finance book to read ever created. It has a very conversational tone, which makes the pages fly by.

My only major complaints are the author's constant referrals to his Indian heritage in stereotypical ways, and his kind of chauvinistic referrals to women as prizes won by, or in contrast to, financial wealth. He generally does these things in an attempt at comedy, but, at least with me, it failed.

I did like his focus on what "wealth" really means.

I am hesitan
Amy
Mar 26, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who wants more info on creating wealth
Shelves: nonfiction, kindle, 2012
I enjoyed this book, but sometimes I felt like he lives in a much different 'reality' than I do (and, therefore, most people I know). I think there are good parts of the book, though. It is one of the best and easiest to read financial books I've come across in a long while, so 4 stars it is!

I wish that I would have had some this information long before now, but a lot of it was helpful for the future. I found the discussion about investments very helpful (and interesting!) because I didn't know
Jesse
Jan 04, 2014 Jesse rated it it was amazing
I'll keep this short and sweet: absolutely everyone should read this. High school kids should read this. My mom should read this. You should read this. It's the best book on personal finance I've ever read. Step by step instructions on exactly how to get your financial life in order. I read this years ago and it paved the way for me to eliminate my credit card debt and start investing. A must-read.
Hamza
Jan 18, 2015 Hamza rated it liked it
Practical program to take charge of your money.
Focused on the american market.
Andrew
Jun 05, 2016 Andrew rated it really liked it
Recommended to Andrew by: Mr. Money Moustache
Read as a refresher. Didn't really learn anything new since Albertans going to school in early 2000s had to read The Wealthy Barber and biographies of Warren Buffet. Also, my mother came right from the Great Depression generation.

Much of the book is the kind of commonsense immigrants and WW2 generation have, but seem to be lacking with the Baby Boomers and Generation X/Y. The target audience is clearly meant for Millennials or the so-called Lost Generation.

if one read Mr. Money Moustache, the Si
John
May 12, 2016 John rated it it was amazing
The title makes it sound like some cheesy get rich quick infomercial, and the highlighter yellow and orange book cover doesn't help, but it actually turned out to be full of very practical advice on personal finance and how to use systems to set yourself up for success as opposed to the general advice of "spend less money" or "don't buy lattes".

Within a couple of days of starting the book, I was already making progress. Before I even finished reading the book, I did the following:

- Checked my cr
  • Your Money: The Missing Manual
  • Work Less, Live More: The Way to Semi-Retirement
  • Re-Create Your Life
  • Making Sense of Behavior: The Meaning of Control
  • Fail-Safe Investing: Lifelong Financial Security in 30 Minutes
  • It's Not about the Money: Unlock Your Money Type to Achieve Spiritual and Financial Abundance
  • Learning from the Future: Competitive Foresight Scenarios
  • The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
  • Numbers Guide: The Essentials of Business Numeracy
  • Turning Numbers into Knowledge: Mastering the Art of Problem Solving
  • Value-Based Fees: How to Charge - and Get - What You're Worth (The Ultimate Consultant Series)
  • Bankable Business Plans
  • Why Smart People Make Big Money Mistakes And How To Correct Them: Lessons From The New Science Of Behavioral Economics
  • Your Money or Your Life: Transforming Your Relationship with Money and Achieving Financial Independence
  • Escape from Cubicle Nation: From Corporate Prisoner to Thriving Entrepreneur
  • The Path of Least Resistance: Learning to Become the Creative Force in Your Own Life
Ramit Sethi is New York Times best-selling author of I Will Teach You To Be Rich. His blog, iwillteachyoutoberich.com, hosts over 300,000 readers every month. He co-founded PBwiki and graduated from Stanford, where he studied technology and psychology. He lives in San Francisco, CA.
More about Ramit Sethi...

“It’s more important to get started than to spend an exhaustive amount of time researching” 2 likes
“The single most important factor to getting rich is getting started, not being the smartest person in the room.” 2 likes