The Salzburg Connection

The Salzburg Connection

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  1,902 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Twenty-one years ago, with the Allies on their heels, the Nazis hid a sealed chest in the dark, forbidding waters of the Finstersee - a lake surrounded by the brooding peaks of the Austrian Alps.

One of the few men who knows of its existence is Richard Bryant, a British agent. Very early one morning, half-hidden by the swirling mists, he sets out alone to discover the secre...more
Published January 1st 1969 by Collins Publishers (first published 1968)

☯Emily has reviews on Booklikes
I read this book for the first time soon after its original publication in the late 60's. I loved it and inspired an interest in suspense novels and especially all books by Helen MacInnes. Would love to find the time to read it again.
Glorianne
First class story- interesting characters, logical yet surprising plot twists, suspense the whole way through!
Chelsea
More reviews available at my blog, Beauty and the Bookworm.

Helen MacInnes has been labeled "the queen of suspense" by some, and I think I would probably agree with that based on my impressions of The Salzburg Connection. The plot revolves around a box hidden in an Austrian lake, and all of the people who are trying to find it or prevent it from being found. This results in there being a lot of moving parts, but MacInnes handles it well. She's also rather unique in the world of cold war spy novel...more
John
Nazis, Russians, Brits, and Americans all converging on the same remote Austrian mountain village. Throw in a few alliances,double-crosses and triple-crosses, amateur and professional spies, a lawyer, an editor and several innocent bystanders mix them all up in Cold War Europe and you have one terrific spy-novel. What's in that Finstersee box anyway?
Shubha Sarma
A brilliant book, on an oft-written theme, with an entirely fresh perspective and treatment. The story traces the post-World War II period, when most countries in Europe are engaged in cloak and dagger encounters. There are the Soviets, the Americans, the Brits and of course the Germans who are determined to recoup their losses after Hitler's downfall. At the centre is a deep, dark lake- Fintersee- which hides more secrets than one can imagine.
The book was absorbing and the story unpredictable....more
Sidney
I loved this book, a great suspense, mystery that is CLEAN!!! The book was published in 1968. I think I am going to try and check out other books by this author. Yea!!!
Kara
Out of the box for me, but it was pretty good. The main character kind of bugged me though. Whenever he saw a pretty woman it reminded me of a dog seeing a treat.
This is my mom's favorite author and she has me hooked. I really enjoyed this book due to its setting and its high level of intrigue.
Polly
Ah, exciting, well-written, Cold War-era spy fiction--with romance. Not my favorite genre, but nice every now and then.
Lewis Weinstein
Ms. MacInnes wrote spy thrillers before almost anyone else. They are still outstanding reads.
Amanda
My Dad likes book about WWII and espionage, so there were almost always books like this around the house when I was growing up.
There is also some cosmic rule that every vacation cabin or beach cottage you stay in will have spy novels on the shelves and in the bedside table, so I learned to enjoy them when I was young.
I really like Helen MacInnes-type books, written in the midst of the Cold War (and sometimes WWII), back before cell phones and whizbang technology. They are heavy on patriotism an...more
Helen
Enjoyed this. The first chapter which details the removal and hiding of a box of Nazi materials from an Austrian lake sets up the whole situation, including Richard Bryant's murder.Everything seems to flow naturally from this, the arrival of a New York lawyer representing a publishing house to investigate a cheque supposedly issued by the publisher's agent as an advance on a book the publisher would not in a million years have added to their list. Bryant's widow is immediately involved in all th...more
Terry
What is buried in a lake in the Austrian mountains? Are Bill Mathison and Lynn Conway in over their heads? Whose side is Felix Zauner really on? Where is Eric Yates? Why are Chinese agents in Zurich? How are the British and American agents involved? Who and what is Elissa Lang? This thriller was 10 months on the Times best seller list and maintains its page-turning power today.

It starts with a long set up that gives the wrong impression of who the main character will be. But then the pace speed...more
C.
A retired British spy runs a photography shop with his loving wife. He finished a book of Austrian lakes, for the Swiss branch of a New York publisher and happens to write New York instead of his usual liaison. A lawyer arrives to explain they can find no contract and only publish scientific material. The American finds a distraught wife instead of her husband and the name signed on the couple’s advance cheque, is no one they know.

I’m accustomed to 300-page mysteries and “The Salzburg Connection...more
Theresa
This has long been one of my favorite reads. First discovered as a teenager in my hometown's public library, and reread many times through the years, I am happy to say that it held up beautifully to a recent indulgence! The suspense grips from the opening moments at a misty lakeside in Austria where a box hidden by the Nazis at the end of WWII to the final resolution. the characters are smart and identifiable, the story intriguing. Now of course certain business of the story like the suddenly sh...more
Ms Athos
Not especially exciting after the first dramatic intro, but immensely enjoyable as more and more layers of espionage are revealed. Then the last third of the novel is relentless! Even though this is an old book (1968), it definitely captures the world of double agents, dedicated professionals, and the unsuspecting civilians caught up in the intrigue of international affairs.
Stacey Moss
Definitely a page turner. The plot thickens quickly, with interesting twists and turns.

The romantic side plot is completely sappy and cliched, making me roll my eyes at several points (and have to double check the front cover to confirm that it was written by a woman!). But I took the novel as a light read, and so I could forgive the corniness. Mostly.
Andy
I love her spy novels. They work even today - the characters are well drawn and believable.
Janette
I couldn't put this down!
Francis
Its the kinda book where the double-crossers don't hardly stand a chance cause of all the triple-crossers.

Its like, guess which card its under? Nope, ...not that one.

So, keep your eyes open and pay careful attention, cause things ain't always what them seem, and misses cost a lot ..a whole lot.
Kyle Mitchum
Picked this one up at my grandmas over the holidays and am glad I did. Foreign affairs, intrigue, interesting characters with a historical overlay all made for a good read. Will pick up another of hers.
Steven
One of the few early female spy novelists I've found (Agatha Christie wrote some spy fiction as well). Publisher's lawyer gets involved in Nazi intrigue around a list of collaborators hidden in an Austrian lake. The copy I read was on my parents' bookshelf.
Julia Holloway
The Salzburg Connection by Helen MacInnes is absolutely wonderful! She is a master when it comes to the spy novel. Her descriptions of place, time and character will have you feeling as if you are actually there.
Judy Nedry
Such fond memories of these books featuring amateur spies, which were shared with my mother-in-law and kept me entertained through many difficult times.
Wog
Formulaic thriller dated to the 60s but filled with a fascinating look at life in Eastern Europe 20 years after WWII. Couldn't put it down.
Mcrmilhist
A bit predictable but holds up well considering it was written in the 60's.

A good holiday read if you are staying in the Salzburg area.
May 06, 2010 Laura marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Mother said that she and Dad have read this book over and over. It's a murder mystery. I want to try it!
Peter Kavanagh
Great first chapter in this thriller of the old school. Enjoyable and amusing read that has held up well.
Monique
Was rather slow and uninspiring, did not finish the book
  • Force 10 From Navarone
  • My Brother Michael
  • Storm Warning
  • The Quiller Memorandum
  • The Scarlatti Inheritance
  • Berlin Game (Bernard Samson, #1)
  • Journey Into Fear
  • Alistair MacLean's Night Watch
Helen MacInnes was a Scottish-American author of espionage novels. She graduated from the University of Glasgow in Scotland in 1928 with a degree in French and German. A librarian, she married Professor Gilbert Highet in 1932 and moved with her husband to New York in 1937 so he could teach classics at Columbia University. She wrote her first novel, Above Suspicion, in 1939. She wrote many bestsell...more
More about Helen MacInnes...
Agent in Place Assignment in Brittany Above Suspicion The Venetian Affair Decision at Delphi