Start by marking “You Can't Read This: Forbidden Books, Lost Writing, Mistranslations, and Codes” as Want to Read:
You Can't Read This: Forbidden Books, Lost Writing, Mistranslations, and Codes

You Can't Read This: Forbidden Books, Lost Writing, Mistranslations, and Codes

Wherever people can read, there are stories about the magic, mystery, and power of what they read. Val Ross presents a history of reading that is, in fact, the story of the monumental, on-going struggle to read. From Enheduanna, daughter of Sargon the Great, the world’s oldest signed author to Empress Shotoku of Japan who in 764 ordered the printing of one million Buddhist ...more
Published April 4th 2006 by Tundra Books (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about You Can't Read This, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Can't Read This

AdiTurbo
Aug 09, 2015 AdiTurbo rated it really liked it
A very enlightening short history of reading and writing, and the politics thereof. I learned a lot I didn't know, especially about the Far Eastern history of reading and writing. It was amazing to discover the amount of power these so-called 'simple' actions give people, and how much governments and societies are afraid of this power. A good and interesting read.
Andrea O'Brien
Oct 25, 2014 Andrea O'Brien rated it really liked it
I was really surprised to find this book in the local library. The book was sitting on a small display case - its title and overall presentation caught my eye and I opened it to read the introduction. The introduction is very well written and it instantly made me interested in the book. I thought about the book for several days before deciding to bring it home.

Being a fan of both history and young adult books I was delighted to find a book that combines both and a little surprised by its existe
Elizabeth C.
Fascinating and kid-friendly history of reading and, more specifically, the *right* to read, told in anecdotes from ancient Baghdad to Renaissance Europe to modern-day Afghanistan. Entertaining and timely.
Christine
Jul 11, 2008 Christine rated it really liked it
Each chapter discusses different topics, all related to reading, such as: the first poem to be written and signed (Iraq, 4,000 years ago); languages lost and found again; William Tyndale, Thomas More and the publishing of the Bible in English. Fascinating glimpse into the history of reading through the ages.
Kevin Waggoner
Apr 11, 2010 Kevin Waggoner rated it it was amazing
Engrossing details about some of histories most enthralling atrocities to books. I learned details about some of histories most atrocious literature events, some I did not know, some I didn't know all the details. I would highly recommend this book to all literature lovers.
Liz
The subject matter was very interesting. However, there were several grammatical errors throughout the book, which deterred my enjoyment. I hope that the errors were from a poor transfer from book to e-book, and were not in the original copy.
Emily
Oct 24, 2008 Emily rated it it was amazing
I loved the way this read and gave me great history and insight. Everyone that reads will appreciate it.
Yvonne
Sep 15, 2008 Yvonne rated it really liked it
From ancient Sumerian cuneform to the enigma code machine of World War II, this book is full of fascinating trivia about words. A junior non-fiction.
Donna F.
Jun 15, 2015 Donna F. rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-school
Words are powerful... and it is fear that makes others censor them.
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2015
Laura Cline
Laura Cline rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2013
Mark Flowers
Feb 25, 2011 Mark Flowers rated it liked it
eh.
Ginzi
Ginzi rated it it was ok
Mar 23, 2015
Tom Hillenbrand
Tom Hillenbrand rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2012
Maddy froehlich
Maddy froehlich rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2011
Kyle
Kyle rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2015
Regina Hunter
Regina Hunter rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2012
Sheldon
Sheldon rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2016
Teresa
Teresa rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2015
Jude Germann
Jude Germann rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2016
Brittany
Brittany rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2013
Sarah rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2016
MyLadyLydia
MyLadyLydia rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2010
Arto
Arto rated it liked it
Nov 05, 2016
Kat
Kat rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2012
Jillann
Jillann rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2014
JF
JF rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2011
Tammy
Tammy rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2008