Start by marking “The Diamond in Your Pocket: Discovering Your True Radiance” as Want to Read:
The Diamond in Your Pocket: Discovering Your True Radiance

The Diamond in Your Pocket: Discovering Your True Radiance

A master thief waited his whole life to acquire the most beautiful diamond in the world. When he heard it had been purchased, he spent three days trying to steal the rare jewel. He failed.Finally, the thief walked right up to the owner and asked, How did you hide this precious jewel from me? To which the owner replied, I placed it where I knew you would never look in your ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Sounds True (first published November 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Diamond in Your Pocket, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Diamond in Your Pocket

I Am That by Nisargadatta MaharajThe Power of Now by Eckhart TolleFlow Down Like Silver by Ki LongfellowThe Secret Magdalene by Ki LongfellowTao Te Ching by Lao Tzu
Best Books on Spiritual Enlightenment / Awakening
7th out of 237 books — 214 voters
The Alchemist by Paulo CoelhoA New Earth by Eckhart TolleThe Power of Now by Eckhart TolleOm Chanting and Meditation by Amit RaySiddhartha by Hermann Hesse
Best Spiritual Books
102nd out of 704 books — 793 voters

More lists with this book...

Sandy
Jun 10, 2011 Sandy rated it really liked it
It was interesting to read Gangaji and compare her to Eckhart Tolle. Gangaji pursued spirituality by "trying" many different practices in hopes of finding the peace and awareness that she so longed to experience, then she met Papaji--her final and true teacher. Tolle, on the other hand, suffered from his personal agonies which resulted in his spiritual awakening, he then turned to spiritual teachers to help him understand what had happened to him. Perhaps it is the difference in her journey that ...more
Janet
Feb 06, 2009 Janet rated it liked it
Good insightful stuff here about finding happiness within yourself and not by looking elsewhere. Nothing new here for me, but a nice, almost practical approach to guide you to a spiritual path. Almost returned it to the library without reading too much of it, but then found some appropriate chapters to copy and share with my sister... to help her choose peace over problems.
Adi
Aug 25, 2016 Adi rated it it was amazing
A great read (or in my case listening to the audiobook, narrated by Gangaji) with clear, clean messages about life, spiritual pathways and the oh so human seeking of happiness in the far distance while holding it all the time in your closest pocket. You might have read and studied other teachers with similar messages for you. She doesn't offer anything new, but it is wisdom unfolding in front or inside of you in her style. So for some of us it might not land as well as the words of Tolle or Ram ...more
stefanie
Mar 23, 2007 stefanie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone searching
This is a collection of short essays about self discovery, meditation, and truth. I will often flip the book open to just read one chapter in the middle of the day or right before bed. Each one is like a question and an answer at the same time. I like to give this book to people I feel are also in the midst of a search.
Stephanie
Aug 27, 2010 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure about this at first, but since it was lent to me by a friend I thought I would try reading it. Turns out it is just what I needed. Spiritual but GROUNDED. I especially love her embrace of our humanity.
Edward Viljoen
May 10, 2011 Edward Viljoen rated it it was amazing
Awesome
Neelesh Marik
A few quotes that summarize my takeaway:

'At a certain point, you recognize that you don't understand a thing, and you experience a moment of surrender. The paradox is that, as soon as you surrender the need to understand, you do understand; and the moment you think you do understand, you don't understand.

In your willingness right now, it this moment, to relinquish all understanding, all that you ever searched for through understanding is revealed.'

'If you are searching for a safe, comfortable li
Tiemu
Jul 13, 2012 Tiemu rated it it was amazing
Whether this is a good or a bad book depends on whether it works for you. I had enjoyed cathartic moments when reading this book years ago and wish I could stay in those states permanently. I enjoyed the book's instructions and how it says to now stop and do what it tells you.

Many people seeking spiritual peace are mentally troubled, and a good psychologist is probably a better path to tread than religious and spiritual ones, because psychology is scientific and uses empirical evidence to help p
Barbara
Apr 07, 2009 Barbara rated it it was amazing
So far... I pick this book up every day and view a bit of it. Gangaji is a follower of the guru of my choice, Sri Ramana Maharshi, and keeps me in understanding with his ideas. I do not think I will ever be done with this book; or the teachings of the Maharshi. We are all already enlightened; all we need to do is realize it.

"Your duty is to Be, and not to be this or that."

'
Scott Moffatt
Jan 28, 2016 Scott Moffatt rated it it was amazing
Deep. The audiobook is even deeper still.
Del Zimmerman
Reading this on the heels of Eckhart Tolle's A New Earth, I found this lackluster and dry in style without much to add in terms of content. The parts I enjoyed, however, were her ideas about surrendering to death and fully meeting emotional charges in the moment instead of avoiding them. Those two ideas were the real diamonds for me...
Heather Delia
May 22, 2016 Heather Delia rated it really liked it
Shelves: yoga
3.75 stars. Loved the first half and had a really great message. But it began to drag on, become repetitive and lost my interest towards the ends.
zenbren
May 11, 2012 zenbren rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
A cousin bought me this superb book. Its simple message of "Just being " is challenging and stimulating--and very certainly a large part of the personal achievement of happiness.Will continue to dip into this advice book for refreshment of spirit and emotional radiance
Paul Finch
Jul 29, 2007 Paul Finch rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people interested in reading Spiritual Enlightenment Teachers self-help books
Shelves: enlightenment
I didn't know much about Gangaji before reading it. It had a forward by Eckhart Tolle, another popular Enlightment Teacher, like Byron Katie. Her teachings like those of most enlightenment teacher's compilations, are designed to give you a taste, which she does.
Pamela Moore
Mar 22, 2013 Pamela Moore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The works of Gangaji are like reading words of Scripture to me. I never quite finish or put down the book. I read a little from time to time to recenter and find the words to stop and reconnect with what is always here and present.
Michael Daly
Jun 21, 2010 Michael Daly rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for discovering your true self written by a western woman who, like many of her generation, went to India to find herself and perhaps find G-d in the process.
Lisa
Jul 23, 2008 Lisa rated it did not like it
this book didnt do much for me, couldnt connect to the author- important for me in order to love a book, lots of mumbo-jumbo, too guru-focused, too abstract and obscure.
Joy
Jan 11, 2014 Joy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know this took me a long time to read but there was a lot to think about. I really love this book and will read again because I know I missed quite a few insights.
Aletheia
Jun 12, 2015 Aletheia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirituality
A book of penetrating truth, written with such great crystal clarity. I don't know much about Gangaji, but her words are a great gift to the world.
Rich
Aug 12, 2014 Rich rated it it was amazing
definitely changed me. I've read parts of it over and over, and have listened to the audio. Gangaji's message speaks to who I am.
Ellen
Mar 28, 2010 Ellen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great book! Gangaji is urging all of us to seek truth and stop all this story telling. This is one I will read again and again.
Georgina Lara
Dec 13, 2015 Georgina Lara rated it liked it
You have to delve into the inquiries and really search, search, search if you want this book to be useful at all in your spiritual journey.
Selfinquiry
Aug 06, 2009 Selfinquiry rated it it was amazing
Another of my faves, truly inspirational, great for anyone asking the question, Why are we here, or what is my purpose.
k8beeZ
Feb 28, 2008 k8beeZ rated it it was amazing
The best self~inquiry book and teacher!!! Seriously, check this out. It'll blow everything out of the water.
Gene Gold
Jun 19, 2008 Gene Gold rated it really liked it
Another self searching book that makes you aware of your own capabilities.
Fred
Dec 14, 2007 Fred rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Audio Book that is excellent and different from others on related theme
Lucinda Winslow
The most practical yet most profound guidance towards true Being.
Alina Grace
Jul 07, 2012 Alina Grace rated it really liked it
A constant self inquiry is needed to be free......
Gaylon
Sep 09, 2012 Gaylon rated it it was amazing
Read it 10+ times and gain new insights each time.
Mativargas
Jun 21, 2008 Mativargas rated it it was amazing
You you really are in simple terms
  • Emptiness Dancing
  • The Transparency of Things: Contemplating the Nature of Experience
  • Talks with Ramana Maharshi: On Realizing Abiding Peace and Happiness
  • Even the Sun Will Die: An Interview with Eckhart Tolle
  • Elements of the Real in Man (Diamond Heart, #1)
  • The Eye of the I: From Which Nothing is Hidden
  • Wake Up Now: A Guide to the Journey of Spiritual Awakening
  • A Thousand Names for Joy: Living in Harmony with the Way Things Are
  • The Translucent Revolution: How People Just Like You Are Waking Up and Changing the World
  • Spiritual Enlightenment: The Damnedest Thing
Gangaji is an American born spiritual teacher and author. She lives in Ashland, Oregon, with her husband, fellow spiritual teacher Eli Jaxon-Bear.
More about Gangaji...

“In this moment, however you are searching, stop. Whether you are searching for peace and happiness in a relationship, in a better job, or even in world peace, just for one moment stop absolutely. There is nothing wrong with these pursuits, but if you are engaging in them to get peace or to get happiness, you are overlooking the ground of peace that is already here. Once you discover this ground of peace, then whatever pursuits you engage in will be informed by your discovery. Then you will naturally bring what you have discovered to the world, to politics, to all your relationships. This discovery has infinite, complex ramifications, but the essence of it is very simple. If you will stop all activity, just for one instant, even for one-tenth of a second, and simply be utterly still, you will recognize the inherent spaciousness of your being that is already happy and at peace with itself. Because of our conditioning, we normally dismiss this ground of peace with an immediate, “Yes, but what about my life? I have responsibilities. I need to keep busy. The absolute doesn’t relate to my world, my existence.” These conditioned thoughts just reinforce further conditioning. But if you will take a moment to recognize the peace that is already alive within you, you then actually have the choice to trust it in all your endeavors, in all your relationships, in every circumstance of your life. It doesn’t mean that your life will be swept clean of conflicts, challenges, pain, or suffering. It means that you will have recognized a sanctuary where the truth of yourself is present, where the truth of God is present, regardless of the physical, mental, or emotional circumstances of your life.” 4 likes
“When there is an openness to fear, where can it be found?” 0 likes