Retreat From Love

Retreat From Love

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  7 reviews
The final novel of the famous Claudine series, this book is filled with the luminous insights that mark Colette's later work. Retreat from Love tells of sexuality and love in a variety of forms. Translated and with an Introduction by Margaret Crosland.
Published March 11th 1980 by Mariner Books (first published 1907)

To ask other readers questions about Retreat From Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Retreat From Love

Rachael Eyre
Joanna
Continuing on my Colette binge, I picked this one because Harold Bloom includes it in his Western Canon. This was actually my least favorite of the the 5 Colette books that I've read in quick succession (the others were Dialogues de bêtes, Cheri & The Last of Cheri, and The Vagabond). Fundamentally, I never believed the central love story between Claudine, the narrator, and the absent Renaud. Perhaps I would of liked the story better if I had read the 4 previous Claudine novels. I quite enjo...more
Kathy Ahn
I personally found this book interesting, but not that great. However, the writing is stunning. Colette is gifted at descriptions that are straightforward and seemingly simple, but are incredibly rich. Her metaphors are imaginative and visceral. My favorite from this book was the pimple popping as a metaphor for resisting temptation (p134). You just try to write something like that yourself and you can see how gifted she is.

I didn't know this when I picked it up, but this book is the last in the...more
Une écriture qui me jette à terre par sa justesse, sa finesse, ses images, sa sensibilité. Il y a des passages très intéressants dans ce roman mais j'ai trouvé ça long. Pas mon préféré mais j'étais contente de retrouver cette Annie affranchie.
Well-steered
Ce que j'ai aimé: Colette est le maître des signalements et de la métaphore. Elle amine les sentiments, le cadre, et les pensées de ses personnages merveilleusement.

Ce que je n'ai pas aimé: L'héroïne est frustrante, car elle se manque des emotions. Elle est completement calme en face d'un avenir incertain.

omnibrowbooks.blogspot.com
Angela
This book seems to be missing context - i don't like any of the bored rich characters. The story, for turn of the century seems especially sexually liberated. The point seems to shock. Didn't want to finish it but it is my bookgroup book.
Dagmara
Kocham Klaudynę bardziej niż cokolwiek w literackim świecie
Sonja
Sonja marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Meena Naik
Meena Naik marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Aleksandra
Aleksandra marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Kardelen
Kardelen marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
Marielle Tonette
Marielle Tonette marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2014
Doris
Doris marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
Emre
Emre marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Italo Calvino was born in Cuba and grew up in Italy. He was a journalist and writer of short stories and novels. His best known works include the Our Ancestors trilogy (1952-1959), the Cosmicomics collection of short stories (1965), and the novels Invisible Cities (1972) and If On a Winter's Night a Traveler (1979).

His style is not easily classified; much of his writing has an air of the fantastic...more
More about Italo Calvino...
If on a Winter's Night a Traveler Invisible Cities The Baron in the Trees Cosmicomics Il cavaliere inesistente