Start by marking “Black Macho and the Myth of the Superwoman” as Want to Read:
Black Macho and the Myth of the Superwoman

Black Macho and the Myth of the Superwoman

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  260 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Originally published in 1978, this book caused a storm of controversy as Micheke Wallace blasted the masculinist bias of the black politics that emerged from the sixties. She described how women remained marginalized by the patriarchal culture of Black Power and the ways in which a genuine female subjectivity was blocked by the traditional myths of black womanhood. In 1990 ...more
Published April 17th 1999 by Verso (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Black Macho and the Myth of the Superwoman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Macho and the Myth of the Superwoman

L.A.
There are a number of editions of this seminal book floating around out there; this one includes an introduction from Wallace, written from the benefit of hindsight. She talks about what she would have done differently, how her feelings have changed on certain topics, and - sadly - how she minimized the abuse patterns in her family at the request of her publisher. This created a good framework for a critical second reading of this book, which I actually read for a class a long time ago.

Wallace's
Audrey Schoeman
I’ve been going round my circles in my head trying to work out how to review Black Macho and the Myth of the Superwoman, Michelle Wallace’s 1978 tract on Black Power, masculinity, and the sexism internalised by the African-American community. How does a white girl born 6 years after this book was published critique such a deeply personal, passionately written and important book? Perhaps the safest route to take is to say that she doesn’t really. She reads. She admires. She learns. There are flaw ...more
Sydney
This is possibly the nonfiction book I've most appreciated/enjoyed reading for school. I'm writing an essay critiquing 'traditional' (ie, Christian) marriage from feminist and economic perspectives. I didn't see how the book applied to this subject at first, but the second half of the book ('The Myth of the Superwoman') focuses on the family. I realized I was coming at my subject from a very white-feminist place, and that is not at all a good thing...

Wallace balances the personal and political b
John
In the course of an essay I'm writing I refer to the Myth of the Black Superwoman. I've been aware of the term for a while, but I didn't know it's author or origins, so I thought I'd better go to the source.

Wallace is a good writer and her history of life under slavery is informative and persuasive. The subject of black male-female relations in the 1960s is beyond my expertise, but Wallace tends to make sweeping generalizations that invite some skepticism.

Just how prevalent were black male-white
Lee Ann
This is an intersting read, as the version I had included a new forward by the author, who was able to revist some of her ideas. At the time of its original publication, Wallace received a lot of flack for her theories/views, and she admits in the forward that as time as passes (older, perhaps wiser), her views have changed, but not so radically that she no longer believes in the core of this work.

I think this book begins to scratch at larger conversations about relationships and community. Too
Pat Cromwell
I don't have this version, I have a paperback that is nearly 30 years old! I read it back in the late 70's or early 80's but I remember it well. The book was considered a controversial examination of the UNEVEN relationship between Black Women and Black Men. I purchased the book after reading an article in the black male oriented magazine Ebony (no that is not a typo). The article was critical of the author and her convictions. As a matter of fact, check out Ebony of the 70’s and 80’s and you’ll ...more
Ralowe Ampu
this book is fun. i'm taking my time with it. it's very enjoyable.

it definitely lives within the idea that "rape in the black community is the rape of the black man." it is troubling thinking of diaspora, considering how definitions of gender roles maintain this continuum through the fetishization of blackness in struggle. this is one of the more enjoyable things i've read. i like somewhat anecdotal divergence in the trouble girls home that led to michele becoming a feminist through glimpse of a
Amber
Mar 15, 2014 Amber rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: favorites
Michele Wallace presents an interesting interpretation of black men, black women, and black male/female relationships. I learned a lot from this book that I didn't know.I'd highly suggest this book to all interested in black power rhetoric, the black male position as oppressed and oppressor, an in-depth understanding of the "Strong black woman" stereotype and a different take on black male/female relationships. Definitely worth the read.
Nakia
Even though this book is centered more on my mother’s generation, it was extremely helpful in understanding why Black feminism (or womanism) is needed... (full review at http://zoratonimaya.tumblr.com/post/1...)
Emily
I just read The Myth of the Superwoman.
Ariel Toles
Ariel Toles marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
K
K is currently reading it
Jul 28, 2015
Ryisha
Ryisha marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Jami
Jami marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Elise
Elise marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Drea
Drea marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Sonja
Sonja marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Candis
Candis marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
TLG
TLG marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
  • Words of Fire: An Anthology of African-American Feminist Thought
  • When Chickenheads Come Home to Roost: A Hip-Hop Feminist Breaks It Down
  • But Some Of Us Are Brave: All the Women Are White, All the Blacks Are Men: Black Women's Studies
  • Home Girls: A Black Feminist Anthology
  • Yearning: Race, Gender, and Cultural Politics
  • Women, Culture, and Politics
  • When and Where I Enter: The Impact of Black Women on Race and Sex in America
  • Shifting: The Double Lives of Black Women in America
  • Black Sexual Politics: African Americans, Gender, and the New Racism (PB)
  • White Women, Race Matters: The Social Construction of Whiteness
  • Aberrations in Black: Toward a Queer of Color Critique
  • Killing the Black Body: Race, Reproduction, and the Meaning of Liberty
  • Living for the Revolution: Black Feminist Organizations, 1968-1980
  • Too Heavy a Load: Black Women in Defense of Themselves, 1894-1994
  • I Am Woman: A Native Perspective on Sociology and Feminism
Michele Faith Wallace (born January 4, 1952) is a black feminist author, cultural critic, and daughter of artist Faith Ringgold. She is best known for her 1979 book Black Macho and the Myth of the Superwoman. Wallace's writings on literature, art, film, and popular culture have been widely published and have made her a leader of African-American intellectuals. She is a Professor of English at the ...more
More about Michele Wallace...
Black Popular Culture Invisibility Blues: From Pop to Theory Dark Designs and Visual Culture Black Macho and the Myth of the Superwoman (Feminist Classics) Black Macho and the Myth of the Superwoman (Feminist Classics)