Black Macho and the Myth of the Superwoman

Black Macho and the Myth of the Superwoman

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Originally published in 1978, this book caused a storm of controversy as Micheke Wallace blasted the masculinist bias of the black politics that emerged from the sixties. She described how women remained marginalized by the patriarchal culture of Black Power and the ways in which a genuine female subjectivity was blocked by the traditional myths of black womanhood. In 1990...more
Published April 17th 1999 by Verso (first published 1978)

Sydney
This is possibly the nonfiction book I've most appreciated/enjoyed reading for school. I'm writing an essay critiquing 'traditional' (ie, Christian) marriage from feminist and economic perspectives. I didn't see how the book applied to this subject at first, but the second half of the book ('The Myth of the Superwoman') focuses on the family. I realized I was coming at my subject from a very white-feminist place, and that is not at all a good thing...

Wallace balances the personal and political b...more
John
In the course of an essay I'm writing I refer to the Myth of the Black Superwoman. I've been aware of the term for a while, but I didn't know it's author or origins, so I thought I'd better go to the source.

Wallace is a good writer and her history of life under slavery is informative and persuasive. The subject of black male-female relations in the 1960s is beyond my expertise, but Wallace tends to make sweeping generalizations that invite some skepticism.

Just how prevalent were black male-white...more
Lee Ann
This is an intersting read, as the version I had included a new forward by the author, who was able to revist some of her ideas. At the time of its original publication, Wallace received a lot of flack for her theories/views, and she admits in the forward that as time as passes (older, perhaps wiser), her views have changed, but not so radically that she no longer believes in the core of this work.

I think this book begins to scratch at larger conversations about relationships and community. Too...more
Pat Cromwell
I don't have this version, I have a paperback that is nearly 30 years old! I read it back in the late 70's or early 80's but I remember it well. The book was considered a controversial examination of the UNEVEN relationship between Black Women and Black Men. I purchased the book after reading an article in the black male oriented magazine Ebony (no that is not a typo). The article was critical of the author and her convictions. As a matter of fact, check out Ebony of the 70’s and 80’s and you’ll...more
Ralowe Ampu
this book is fun. i'm taking my time with it. it's very enjoyable.

it definitely lives within the idea that "rape in the black community is the rape of the black man." it is troubling thinking of diaspora, considering how definitions of gender roles maintain this continuum through the fetishization of blackness in struggle. this is one of the more enjoyable things i've read. i like somewhat anecdotal divergence in the trouble girls home that led to michele becoming a feminist through glimpse of a...more
Amber
Mar 15, 2014 Amber rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: favorites
Michele Wallace presents an interesting interpretation of black men, black women, and black male/female relationships. I learned a lot from this book that I didn't know.I'd highly suggest this book to all interested in black power rhetoric, the black male position as oppressed and oppressor, an in-depth understanding of the "Strong black woman" stereotype and a different take on black male/female relationships. Definitely worth the read.
Nakia
Even though this book is centered more on my mother’s generation, it was extremely helpful in understanding why Black feminism (or womanism) is needed... (full review at http://zoratonimaya.tumblr.com/post/1...)
Emily
I just read The Myth of the Superwoman.
Monica Young
Monica Young marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Columbus
Columbus marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Nickecia
Nickecia marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Jacquinn
Jacquinn marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Nylorac1984
Nylorac1984 marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Chloe Lundine
Chloe Lundine marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
cheryl
cheryl marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Jazz
Jazz marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Marlo
Marlo marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Paddythemic
Paddythemic marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Christopher Maxwell
Christopher Maxwell marked it as to-read
Deidre
Deidre marked it as to-read
Randa
Randa marked it as to-read
Aziza
Aziza marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Tamara Downes
Tamara Downes marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
  • When Chickenheads Come Home to Roost: A Hip-Hop Feminist Breaks It Down
  • Words of Fire: An Anthology of African-AmericanFeminist Thought
  • But Some Of Us Are Brave: All the Women Are White, All the Blacks Are Men: Black Women's Studies
  • Home Girls: A Black Feminist Anthology
  • When and Where I Enter: The Impact of Black Women on Race and Sex in America
  • Talking Back: Thinking Feminist, Thinking Black
  • From Black Power to Hip Hop: Racism, Nationalism, and Feminism
  • Killing the Black Body: Race, Reproduction, and the Meaning of Liberty
  • Blues Legacies and Black Feminism: Gertrude "Ma" Rainey, Bessie Smith, and Billie Holiday
  • Shifting: The Double Lives of Black Women in America
  • Daughter
  • White Women, Race Matters: The Social Construction of Whiteness
  • Sister Citizen: Shame, Stereotypes, and Black Women in America
  • Daddy Was a Number Runner
  • Southern Horrors and Other Writings: The Anti-Lynching Campaign of Ida B. Wells, 1892-1900
  • Plum Bun: A Novel without a Moral
  • Colonize This!: Young Women of Color on Today's Feminism
  • Homegirls and Handgrenades
Black Popular Culture Invisibility Blues: From Pop to Theory Dark Designs and Visual Culture America Street: A Multicultural Anthology of Stories Let Nobody Turn Us Around: Voices on Resistance, Reform, and Renewal an African American Anthology