Start by marking “Grumpy Old Rock Star: and Other Wondrous Stories” as Want to Read:
Grumpy Old Rock Star: and Other Wondrous Stories

Grumpy Old Rock Star: and Other Wondrous Stories

Around about August 1948, Mr and Mrs Cyril Wakeman had an early night and some time later, at Perivale in Middlesex, Mrs Wakeman produced a bonny baby son. They named him Richard, but he quickly became known as Rick.

Rick was a likable little fellow who had a talent for the piano and for making trouble, and music became Rick's life. Later he joined a popular music group cal
Published August 21st 2008 by Preface Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Grumpy Old Rock Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grumpy Old Rock Star

Critter Reyome
If you're looking for a, "I was born in...lived here at...met so-and-so..." sort of a tome, you're in the wrong place. A pity in part, inasmuch as I would like to have read Rick Wakeman's description of his early days in Yes, and some of the tumultuous times which followed. But I suppose there are other books for that sort of thing.

No, this is not so much a biography as it is a series of anecdotes from keyboard maven Wakeman's life and career, and some of them will just leave you speechless. A l
Steve Barfield
Sep 17, 2016 Steve Barfield rated it it was ok
This isn't one of those detailed autobiographies that recounts the author's childhood/schooldays etc up to the point where they become well-known. Where Rick Wakeman is concerned you'd have to find a copy of Say Yes for that. This is more a collection of anecdotes and tales that didn't quite make it into the aforementioned book as they are all a bit 'neither here nor there' subject-wise. Some of the stories here are amusing, some are interesting and some are both. Wakeman comes across as being, ...more
Aapo
Apr 13, 2015 Aapo rated it really liked it
Shelves: tietokirjat, musiikki
Vanha rock-muusikko muistelee. Viinanjuontia, alatyylistä huumoria, mahtipontisia lavarakennelmia, keikkailumokia, törmäilyjä vieraissa kulttuureissa... eli ihan perussettiä, mutta hauskasti ja sydämellisesti kerrottuna. Kuuntelin tämän Wakemanin itsensä lukemana äänikirjana (kiitos lainasta Osmo!) ja ehkä kaikkein parasta olikin Wakemanin selkeä ja eläväinen pubitarinoiva ääni. Loppua kohden rupesi jo vähän jutut toistamaan itseään, vaikka viinanjuonti loppuikin ja juttuihin tuli vähän ...more
Jim
Nov 20, 2010 Jim rated it really liked it
Shelves: autobiography
From the trumpet player who evacuated into his white trousers on trying to hit a high note while sozzled, to the humping dinosaurs, this book had me literally in tears of laughter. The Tap couldn’t have written better, but I felt Rick could. This was just a collection of amusing rock star anecdotes. What a larf, eh boys? You don’t learn too much about Rick himself, but as an ex-alcoholic perhaps he’s forgotten a lot about what made him what he is.
Wolfgang
Feb 07, 2016 Wolfgang rated it liked it
Sometimes funny, sometimes annoying stories from his touring life. Contains the famous story where he is eating curry onstage while performing the "Tales from Topographic Oceans" , which he hated.

This is really two and half stars. If one wants to chose, I'd prefer the DVD version of the 2009 concert of "Six Wives of Henry VIII" at Hampton Court and skip the book.
Mike
Nov 28, 2008 Mike rated it it was amazing
This is for any Yes fan, which I am. Rick has a great way of explaining his foible, trials, tribulations. You could certainly call him a bad boy, a mischief maker, but you get the idea he doesn't mean anyone any harm. This was a funny book with lots of great stories of Rick's time as a solo artist, a member of The Strawbs, and Yes.
Make
Jun 02, 2013 Make rated it liked it
It's always a treat to sit down with someone who's really lived the larger than life way. Keyboard icon Rick Wakeman has loads of stories from the road to tell, and they're all very amusing, some of them downright hysterically funny. And they're all true. Not necessarily great literature but just the book for a hot afternoon in your backyard - with a cold pint, of course ;)
Neil Bridge
Jan 13, 2016 Neil Bridge rated it really liked it
My Dad slightly forced me to read this on his Kindle while we were on Holiday but I did really enjoy the book.

Rick Wakeman has more than a few bizarre, funny, and sometimes outrageous stories to tell in this book.

If you're not easily offended or upset and like a good laugh then I would recommend this book to you.
Gordon Love
Feb 29, 2016 Gordon Love rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
This is a genuinely funny, recounting of incidents in Rick Wakeman's life as a rock star. I burst out laughing many times whilst reading this easily read biography. Recommended as a good light read.
Ady Stimpson
Mar 01, 2010 Ady Stimpson rated it really liked it
Brilliant piece of muso review. Rick clearly knows how to put pen to paper...... amazing really considering all the drugs he and the Yes chaps did in the 70's....... not to mention his numerous heart attacks. A reet gud read!
Derek
Mar 02, 2015 Derek rated it really liked it
This is a hilarious book. Wakeman tells the readers wacky stories from his life of excess as a professional rock star, and they are even crazier and hilarious than you expected. Well worth the time!
Andy
Jul 02, 2016 Andy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mildly entertaining light reading for fans of Rick Wakeman's music. However, it's nothing deep, uproariously funny, or particularly memorable. I'm glad I read it, but I will probably not bother with his followup book, and I immediately donated the book to our local library when I was done.
Thomas Flaherty
Sep 23, 2013 Thomas Flaherty rated it it was amazing
Hilarious!! I actually made me laugh out loud when I was reading it at a bar. I can't rate it high enough. It matters not if you're a Rick Wakeman fan. Anyone with a sense of humor would love this book. He's a great story teller.
Jason
Apr 28, 2016 Jason rated it it was amazing
This is what it is - no-nonsense, concise, hilarious collection of anecdotes from the everyman rock star. If you need a break from something literary or serious, read this. The chapter involving flatulence is worth the price of admission by itself.
Hacksaw
If you've seen Rick doing his solo tour with stories and playing, this is like that, but without the playing. It was enjoyable, but I liked the playing as well, so...

Still, I might get the next one, the stories are pretty fun, and there's more detail.
Ray Daley
Aug 31, 2016 Ray Daley rated it liked it
I don't think you have to be a Rick Wakeman fan to enjoy this, it's a decent partial biog well told by the man himself.
David
Sep 17, 2012 David rated it it was amazing
Hilarious. This is a collection of anecdotes which take in, from school days to present. i would heartly recomend this book.
Mark
Dec 12, 2014 Mark rated it it was amazing
Breezy, light, funny. I read it is one sitting. Even if you are not a fan of Wakeman's music, I'm sure you'll find it entertaining. I laughed out loud several times.
Jerry
May 21, 2012 Jerry rated it liked it
Rick Wakeman writes in a very chatty, easy to follow style. The stories very from the ridiculous to the incredible and every stop in between, but all great fun. A good read on a flight.
Paul
Jan 28, 2014 Paul rated it really liked it
I liked this a lot! Not much of a bio but funny stories of being a musician during the 70`s and what he got up to before/during and after the concerts. A light read but well worth it! ...more
Nannette
Nov 24, 2015 Nannette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, non-fiction, memoir
Take one (not so grumpy) old rock star with plenty of tales to tell and the ability to spin a yarn and you have the recipe for a thoroughly enjoyable book. I loved it.
Joe Faust
Aug 15, 2012 Joe Faust rated it really liked it
Keyboard player Rick Wakeman seems to have a target painted on his back, which makes for some great stories. Lucky for us he also happens to be a great storyteller.
Jules Gareau
Feb 06, 2016 Jules Gareau rated it really liked it
I think Rick is hilarious in his stories. Not only is he a brilliant keyboardist but his sense of humour is just as appealing:)
Guilherme Bradasch
Apr 03, 2012 Guilherme Bradasch rated it it was amazing
This is a light, fun book about Rick Wakeman's life on the road as a rock-star. There were some stories that made me laugh a lot. If you're a fan, you should read it!
Steve Swart
Steve Swart rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2015
Robert Lackey
Robert Lackey rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2015
Darren
Darren rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2008
Matti Karjalainen
Matti Karjalainen rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2013
Ian Thompson
Ian Thompson rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2016
Mike
Mike rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2013
  • Bill Bruford - The Autobiography: Yes, King Crimson, Earthworks and More
  • Stone Alone: The Story of a Rock 'n' Roll Band
  • Kink: An Autobiography
  • Contents Under Pressure: 30 Years of Rush at Home and Away
  • Heaven And Hell: My Life In The Eagles (1974 2001)
  • Nigella Lawson: A Biography