Start by marking “Jutland Cottage (Barsetshire #22)” as Want to Read:
Jutland Cottage (Barsetshire #22)

Jutland Cottage (Barsetshire #22)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  85 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Margot the fortyish, dutiful daughter of the ailing Admiral and Mrs Phelps is taken in hand by the combined communities of Greshambury and Southbridge. Spearheaded, to the amazement of all, by Rose Fairweather (ne Birkett), the group plans outings and treats ranging from wardrobe items to beauty treatments to Holman's Phospho-Manuro.
Published January 1st 1999 by Moyer Bell (first published 1953)

To ask other readers questions about Jutland Cottage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jutland Cottage

Stephanie
Sep 06, 2007 Stephanie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone seeking a literary Cole Porter
Ah, Montclair Public Library of New Jersey, how I pine for you. I remember my excitement when I found you were within walking distance of my apartment. And what a beautiful walk that was, drifting past the stately Victorians on Park Street, crossing the bustling intersection at Bloomfield Avenue, and then taking the short jog down South Fullerton. That first walk was on a lovely May day. Your lawn was freshly clipped and the sidewalk was sparkling white and clean. I was a bit suspicious of your ...more
Jocelyn
Careless, kind-hearted Rose Fairweather plays fairy godmother to Admiral Phelps's dowdy daughter. Rose and her friends whisk Margot away in their carriages, often allowing her to drive. After tea at The Priory or Framely Court, they always get her home in time to serve dinner to her elderly parents. With wavy hair and clean hands, clad in twin set, faux pearls, cotton stockings, and her own sensible and well-kept shoes, Margot wins the hearts of three wealthy bachelors.

Or: The local nobs, always
Leslie
2 stars. While the romance angle was sweet, the humor was mostly missing or slightly off kilter and certain descriptions were repeated far too often. Nothing really wrong with this book but it isn't up to the standard to which Thirkell has accustomed us in the Barsetshire series. ...more
Katrina
Margot Phelps is running herself ragged with looking after her elderly parents and the farm. Their friends help out and Rose spruces Margot up. This is one of my favourite Thirkells.
Brian
Good, solid, and gently funny in a wistful way. A good picture of the barren times for the UK right after the end of the war. I do want to get them all to read in order. Despite what she says, they are not the same book. Also, this is the first time I recall seeing direct references to Anthony Trollope's novels.
Jen Topp
Took awhile to get into this one. SO MANY CHARACTERS! But Angela Thirkell still delights me because a few pages into it when I was thinking TOO MANY CHARACTERS, she writes about how her books have too many characters. She cracks me up. We would have definitely been friends.
Polly
Not as interesting to me as the earlier ones. Almost everyone one has met much before has married already, and although this is nice, I'm a little disappointed in the wedding bells that end the story--I was hoping for a different ending.
Kim
My new, favorite writer. I love her language and style and characters. What a wonderful, unique voice. I'm glad that she published just about one book a year for many, many years - should keep me busy for awhile!
LDuchess
hardbound edition--NOT Moyer Bell.

Margot Phelps goes from ugly duckling to....well, duck?
(Read this years ago, but didn't have chronological background that helps.)
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
ioana.
ioana. marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Lateniteknitter
Lateniteknitter marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Chloe Bennet
Chloe Bennet marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Kate Howe
Kate Howe marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Linda Dobinson
Linda Dobinson marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Trisha K.
Trisha K. marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Leslie
Leslie is currently reading it
Feb 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Angela Margaret Mackail was born on January 30, 1890 at 27 Young Street, Kensington Square, London. Her grandfather was Sir Edward Burne-Jones the pre-Raphaelite painter and partner in the design firm of Morris and Company for whom he designed many stained glass windows - seven of which are in St Margaret's Church in Rottingdean, West Sussex. Her grandmother was Georgiana Macdonald, one of a prec ...more
More about Angela Thirkell...

Barsetshire (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • High Rising (Barsetshire #1)
  • Wild Strawberries
  • The Demon in the House (Barsetshire #3)
  • August Folly (Barsetshire #4)
  • Summer Half
  • Pomfret Towers
  • The Brandons
  • Before Lunch
  • Cheerfulness Breaks In (Barsetshire #9)
  • Northbridge Rectory
High Rising (Barsetshire #1) Wild Strawberries The Brandons Pomfret Towers August Folly (Barsetshire #4)