Start by marking “Jutland Cottage” as Want to Read:
Jutland Cottage

Jutland Cottage (Barsetshire #22)

Margot the fortyish, dutiful daughter of the ailing Admiral and Mrs Phelps is taken in hand by the combined communities of Greshambury and Southbridge. Spearheaded, to the amazement of all, by Rose Fairweather (ne Birkett), the group plans outings and treats ranging from wardrobe items to beauty treatments to Holman's Phospho-Manuro.
Published January 1st 1999 by Moyer Bell (first published 1953)

To ask other readers questions about Jutland Cottage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jutland Cottage

Stephanie
Sep 06, 2007 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone seeking a literary Cole Porter
Ah, Montclair Public Library of New Jersey, how I pine for you. I remember my excitement when I found you were within walking distance of my apartment. And what a beautiful walk that was, drifting past the stately Victorians on Park Street, crossing the bustling intersection at Bloomfield Avenue, and then taking the short jog down South Fullerton. That first walk was on a lovely May day. Your lawn was freshly clipped and the sidewalk was sparkling white and clean. I was a bit suspicious of your ...more
Jocelyn
Nov 14, 2014 Jocelyn rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Careless, kind-hearted Rose Fairweather plays fairy godmother to Admiral Phelps's dowdy daughter. Rose and her friends whisk Margot away in their carriages, often allowing her to drive. After tea at The Priory or Framely Court, they always get her home in time to serve dinner to her elderly parents. With wavy hair and clean hands, clad in twin set, faux pearls, cotton stockings, and her own sensible and well-kept shoes, Margot wins the hearts of three wealthy bachelors.

Or: The local nobs, always
Susan
Feb 23, 2016 Susan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
This is my favorite of the the Barsetshire books, perhaps because it was the first one I read. Although it is nearly halfway through the series, it can stand alone if you are willing to accept the mention of characters that have obviously been more fleshed out in earlier books. It made me want to read more of the books to learn about the characters, and now I have the entire series! This one is about Margot who is caring for her aging parents and how the community bands together to help her with ...more
Brian
Aug 25, 2014 Brian rated it really liked it
Shelves: brit-manners
Good, solid, and gently funny in a wistful way. A good picture of the barren times for the UK right after the end of the war. I do want to get them all to read in order. Despite what she says, they are not the same book. Also, this is the first time I recall seeing direct references to Anthony Trollope's novels.
Leslie
Mar 03, 2014 Leslie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, british
2 stars. While the romance angle was sweet, the humor was mostly missing or slightly off kilter and certain descriptions were repeated far too often. Nothing really wrong with this book but it isn't up to the standard to which Thirkell has accustomed us in the Barsetshire series. ...more
Polly
Feb 26, 2014 Polly rated it liked it
Not as interesting to me as the earlier ones. Almost everyone one has met much before has married already, and although this is nice, I'm a little disappointed in the wedding bells that end the story--I was hoping for a different ending.
Kim
Jul 15, 2009 Kim rated it it was amazing
My new, favorite writer. I love her language and style and characters. What a wonderful, unique voice. I'm glad that she published just about one book a year for many, many years - should keep me busy for awhile!
Jen
Jun 23, 2010 Jen rated it liked it
Shelves: brit-lit
Took awhile to get into this one. SO MANY CHARACTERS! But Angela Thirkell still delights me because a few pages into it when I was thinking TOO MANY CHARACTERS, she writes about how her books have too many characters. She cracks me up. We would have definitely been friends.
LDuchess
Mar 12, 2012 LDuchess rated it really liked it
hardbound edition--NOT Moyer Bell.

Margot Phelps goes from ugly duckling to....well, duck?
(Read this years ago, but didn't have chronological background that helps.)
Katrina
Nov 17, 2014 Katrina rated it it was amazing
Margot Phelps is running herself ragged with looking after her elderly parents and the farm. Their friends help out and Rose spruces Margot up. This is one of my favourite Thirkells.
John
Jan 02, 2016 John rated it did not like it
sweet, kind, cute, gushy junk to me. A great book for a female pre teen, not me..terrible read to start the new year with.
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
May 12, 2008
Margaret
Margaret rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2012
Carol Miller
Carol Miller rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2014
Elena Richmond
Elena Richmond rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2012
Anniev
Anniev rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2012
Margaret
Margaret rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2011
Charlene
Charlene rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2014
Ann Beckman
Ann Beckman rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2015
Janis
Janis rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2013
Kim Leffler
Kim Leffler rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2008
Pam Jones
Pam Jones rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2011
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2010
Justina Hayden
Justina Hayden rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2009
Robert Wright
Robert Wright rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2016
Cera
Cera rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2010
Alisha Trenalone
Alisha Trenalone rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2014
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2012
Alex Mackenzie
Alex Mackenzie rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2010
Carole Burton
Carole Burton rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Angela Margaret Mackail was born on January 30, 1890 at 27 Young Street, Kensington Square, London. Her grandfather was Sir Edward Burne-Jones the pre-Raphaelite painter and partner in the design firm of Morris and Company for whom he designed many stained glass windows - seven of which are in St Margaret's Church in Rottingdean, West Sussex. Her grandmother was Georgiana Macdonald, one of a prec ...more
More about Angela Thirkell...

Barsetshire (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • High Rising