Start by marking “A Pair Of Socks” as Want to Read:
A Pair Of Socks

A Pair Of Socks (MathStart Level 1)

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  105 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Does a polka-dotted sock match a striped sock? Young children will learn about matching, an important early math skill, as a lonely striped sock searches the house for its mate. They will may even be inspired to practice this skill in their own sock drawers!

Best Children's Science Books 1997 (Science Books and Films)Does a polka-dotted sock match a striped sock? Young chi

Published December 1st 1996 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published July 19th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about A Pair Of Socks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Pair Of Socks

Keli
Nov 14, 2008 Keli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ages 3-6
Synopsis

A blue and red striped sock searches through the house looking for its mate.

Review

Through this book, children are introduced to the important concept of same and different. On each page, the sock finds a possible match in various places around the house. The following page has the two brightly colored socks side by side on a black background. This makes it easy for children to see the differences between the two socks. The book ends with a two page spread of all the socks encountered in
Amanda
Dec 01, 2013 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math
A Pair of Socks is a very simple picture book that was written with the intention of teaching very young children to identify similarities and differences between patterns. This book would be useful in a kindergarten to first grade classroom but I would be hesitant to use it in older classrooms. The text and the concept of matching socks is very simple and relates to something within the child’s world and so it really helps to bring math to life for very young children. However, this book was no ...more
Meredith
Aug 29, 2015 Meredith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Will definitely be using as part of a socks/matching patterns lesson with my preschoolers. Test-drove with my 4.5-year-old nephew, and he liked it.
Leah
Aug 13, 2016 Leah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Was a great way to teach kids about the number 2 along with helping them understand matching. Cute story.
Miss Sarah
Jan 21, 2016 Miss Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: socks
simple and clear could work for any age group about a cock missing his mate.
Service Room 12
I like the story because a sock was dirty and the other one wasn't. By Thomas
Peacegal
May 27, 2014 Peacegal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first book i have encountered written from the perspective of a sock!
Esther
Stephanie
Murphy introduces young children to the concept of patterns through a lone sock's search for its mate. The boldly colored artwork helps children clearly see various stripes, dots, and designs. There is a slight story in the rhyming text, but as with most concept books, fine literature isn't the point. Readers can practice their newly learned skill with a matching exercise. The book ends with suggested activities, such as clapping and stomping in different patterns, parents can try with children ...more
Elanor
All by herself!
Janet
Mar 26, 2014 Janet rated it really liked it
A brief story of a red and blue sock trying to find their match. Lois Ehlert's illustrations make this title a delight for the concept of matching as she is a master of color, shape and design.
This is the first title I have seen that Ehlert illustrated for another author. Are there more?
Seth Lebaron
Dec 03, 2012 Seth Lebaron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math
Same or different. This book will help students look at groups of objects and shapes to see if they are the same or are they different. I would have objects on two sides of the room, so will be similar and others will be copies of each other. I would have my students (small group activity) try to match up the correct pairs as fast as they could and then talk about how are these objects the same. I would also have the students talkl about why the similars are not quite right.
Christina Camp
This is a cute story about matching socks. It also rhymes. It has very pretty and bright pictures and the text is easy enough for even early readers to work with. In the end of the book, the sock finds his match in the dog bed. I particularly liked this because my dogs used to steal my socks too. The last page of the book also has all of the socks together for the students to match.
Teresa
Oct 31, 2010 Teresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mathematics
Story about making pairs. It's a very simple level one book but shows how to match up a pair. Throughout the story one sock is looking for it's pair by eliminating all the other socks that come up. At the end there is a page of all the socks for students to match up together based on the designs and coloring of the socks.
Katterley
Nov 14, 2010 Katterley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute story. I bought this as part of a pack of books by Stuart Murphy that teach math concepts. They're all good, and have teaching lessons in the back that I was able to adapt to the summer reading program on numerous occasions. Shhh! Don't tell them they're learning at the library, it's only fun and games, OK?
Kelly Morgan
Dec 02, 2012 Kelly Morgan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math
I dislike mix match socks!! This book discusses socks that need matching pairs. This book is great to teach in math, when students are learning how to match. I would definitely use this book in a math lesson for younger grades.
Caroline
This is a good book to use for discussing patterns. It also comes with helpful questions and activity ideas in the back.
Karyn
Apr 04, 2010 Karyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math-concepts, socks
Excellent for learning about attributes, sorting, and patterns. Similarities and differences.
Jake
very cute and simple!!! great for Kindergarteners who are learning about matching and sorting.
Edna
Mar 02, 2010 Edna rated it really liked it
Perfect book for teaching children how to match patterns.
Julie Webb
Jul 13, 2009 Julie Webb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Matching, patterns, and counting by twos
Maria
Feb 02, 2012 Maria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good introduction to patterns for ages 4 & up.
Shawna
Shawna added it
Aug 16, 2016
Meredith
Meredith rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2016
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Leslie Fisher
Leslie Fisher rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Kelly
Kelly rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Naseef Khan
Naseef Khan marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
  • Counting Crocodiles
  • Sir Cumference and the Dragon of Pi
  • One Hundred Hungry Ants
  • Math-terpieces: The Art of Problem-Solving
  • Black? White! Day? Night! - A Book of Opposites (Neal Porter Books)
  • Anno's Mysterious Multiplying Jar
  • Feast for 10
  • Moja Means One: Swahili Counting Book
  • I'm Trying to Love Spiders
PICTURES & WORDS, STORIES & BOOKS
MathStart http://www.mathstart.net
I See I Learn http://www.iseeilearn.com

I was one of those kids who talked all the time in class. I loved telling stories. One day in the 4th Grade, my teacher said, “You tell such good stories, maybe you should try writing some of them down.” “Wow,” I thought. “She thinks my stories are good.” That’s when I started to real
More about Stuart J. Murphy...

MathStart Level 1 (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Henry the Fourth
  • Missing Mittens (Mathstart: Level 1)
  • Double the Ducks
  • Just Enough Carrots
  • Seaweed Soup
  • Beep Beep, Vroom Vroom!
  • Monster Musical Chairs