Fitted Knits: 25 Designs for the Fashionable Knitter

Fitted Knits: 25 Designs for the Fashionable Knitter

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  571 ratings  ·  57 reviews
'Fitted Knits' features 25 projects, beginning with simple T-shirts and shrugs and moves on to more advanced jumpers, cardigans and skirts. It features a comprehensive section covering the skills necessary to create a well-fitted garment, removing the guesswork from customising patterns.
Published February 6th 2007 by Northlight (first published January 23rd 2007)

Matthew Gatheringwater
Dec 06, 2007 Matthew Gatheringwater rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: knitters with a shape to show off
Shelves: knitting
There are a lot of ugly sweaters in the world, but you won't find any in this stylish book. Stefanie Japel (of glampyre.com) has designed 25 shapely garments for knitters who love the unique way that a knitted garment can move with the body. Here are sculptural sweaters that both hug and drape the figure, instead of uninspired rectangles that bunch under arms or sag over bottoms.

Shaping is often scary for new knitters, but these patterns are rated by difficulty and there are several that I'd sug...more
Lain
I was lucky enough to meet Stefanie at a trade show recently, as she promoted this book and showed the original projects. AMAZING! I immediately added this book to my must-have list and started dreaming of projects, fiber, and fun.

Stefanie, also known online as "Glampyre," doesn't disappoint. The patterns cover a wide range of easier and more difficult projects, and while all fashion-forward, they aren't so trendy that they'll be passe before they make it off your needles.

Highly recommended.
Jill
Because I mostly read knitting books for ideas and pictures, I found a lot of inspiration from the well-tailored pieces in this book. The one day I thought I might make one of the patterns, however, I was a little out of luck. This may be known to many, but a good collection of circular needles are a must to work your way through Japel's pieces. I contemplated working one of her patterns flat with the needles I had on hand (why does no one deliver), but realized I might as well design my own pie...more
Elizabeth
I think it's hard to find knit patterns for things I'd actually wear. The author has created some wonderful patterns for garments I'd actually want to wear. The instructions could be clearer in some instances, but the fact that the garments are all easily sizeable more than makes up for it. The best part is that she makes a point of choosing affordable yarns so that your knit project doesn't cost you three times what buying the sweater would have.
Shannon
My all time favourite knitting book with patterns in my all time favourite style of knitting - top down. I very rarely find sweater patterns in knitting books that are stylish. Often, sweaters are bulky, boxy, and unflattering. Plus, as a person with a long torso, I can never find patterns that fit lengthwise. My prayers were answered with Fitted Knits. Not only are Stefanie Japel's designs stylish, but the opening chapter clearly outlines how to customize any sweater pattern to fit your own bod...more
Tonileg
The front picture is probably the best pattern in the book, there are 24 total projects broken up into different types of clothing.

Tubes, tanks and tees.
Shrugs, cardigans and wraps.
Sweaters, vests and coats.
Dress-up clothes (jacket and skirt set and a dress).

Mostly easy to intermediate level patterns, but there are a lot of yarn needed for certain projects (i.e. dress takes 10 to 13 skeins of Cascade yarn pima silk cotton blend yarn which will set you back at least 100$). I'm a bit of a cheap (b...more
This is a book that I was disappointed with at first but has really grown on me. I think I was expecting more of an instructional book, but the concept of fitting is addressed in 2 pages in the beginning, and fit/customization are never really mentioned again. If you want something more in-depth I would recommend Custom Knits by Wendy Bernard. However, as a pattern book, this book is pretty spectacular. Out of the 25 patterns, I'd like to make at least half. Considering Stephanie Japel patterns...more
Snorkle
Even though I only found three patterns that I wanted to knit, I really liked the overall feel of this book. The pages and the way that the knitted items were formatted was very appealing. I loved the lace designs that were incorporated through the pattern instructions, just giving it a professional and also feminine feel. The patterns, for the most part, were pretty ingenious, I liked how they used different stitch patterns in their sweaters, putting a block of funky or stylish stitch pattern t...more
Fran Haselden
Knitted the ribbed jumper from this. It's a good book, patterns seem easy to read. I enjoyed the finished result.
Jacey
May 13, 2010 Jacey rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: new knitters
Shelves: knitting
Two completed projects (Back-to-School Vest and the Two-Toned Shrug) from this book, but neither is worn very often. The shrug was my first garment ever, so it's littered with mistakes, but the vest was done last year, with two years experience under my belt. I'm not sure if I'll make anything else from it, since there are so many lovely patterns in my queue, but it's a good pattern book, especially for newcomers.
Jessica
I'm a knitter, which means I'm also a knitting book fiend. This one feels like the book I've been waiting for. I'm a fan of the author's patterns in general, with exception to when she gets a little to mod for me. There are some patterns in this book that I wouldn't bother with (I'm not a fan of chunky yarn), but all the rest I can't wait to cast on for. (That's knitter-talk for "start new project".)
thistle
And sometimes I read knitting books from the public library, which is good because I would not really want to have bought this one. I'm interested in two of the patterns, and I may yet try them; it's good to know via Ravelry that both tend to be overlarge and to require more yarn than the patterns say. (If I knit either pattern, perhaps my habit of knitting a bit tightly will be useful.)
Deodand
Aug 21, 2007 Deodand rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Knitologists
Shelves: knitting, non-fiction
I have a heterosexual girl crush on Stephanie Japel. So does everyone else who reads her website or knits her designs, because she's smart and cool and good looking and nice.

I was so happy for her when I heard she got a book - she deserved it. She deserves to write another book! These designs are a long shot from the lumpy old sweater-with-a-moose your grandma gave you for Christmas.
Evelyn
Jun 15, 2008 Evelyn is currently reading it
You know how you look at all those knitting magazines, and you think how it's amazing that you can spend so much time on something and it can turn out so hideous. The patterns in this book are actually really cute, and there's a really great explanation of how to fit patterns to your measurements. I'm using a pattern from this book to knit my first sweater. So excited!
I love all of Japel's patterns (I have browsed through other books going 'all of this sucks except this ONE patter, oh wait it's by STephanie Japel, that's why it's pretty'). They are (for once) actually fashionable as the title says. I want to make every one of these, and am looking forward to my skill level getting up to it. Very worthwhile, a possible purchase.
Becky
I love knitting books that are more than just 'here is a pattern. Follow it.' This book encourages you to alter the pattern to fit you and only you. And, it shows you how. It also gives great insight on how to design your own patterns and alter other patterns besides just the ones in this book. Wonderful reading.
Emily
Just started my first project, but so far I'm really impressed. Well written patterns, fashionable but classic (so it won't be out of style by the time you've knitted it.) Also, I want to make/wear EVERYTHING in there. Also, she avoids seaming - most of the projects are knit in the round - woot!
Lara
so far I've knit the back-to-school U neck vest and also the textured tunic with side slits. although many of the styles share similar qualities they are for the most part, fabulous because they're not intended for stick thin runway models. the designs allow for real curves. highly recommended.
Carrie Marcotte
Very useful book to read about making garments I make fit better. There are a couple patterns I would like to try soon (after I finish a couple of ongoing projects now). I have taken a course of Stefanie's on Craftsy and love her approach to knitting. That approach continues here.
yoli
Dec 23, 2007 yoli rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like to knit top-down pieces because seaming's a pain
Shelves: knitting
While this is a nice book and I really adore top-down construction, nothing really *spoke* to me. Part of this is because my new stance on knitted pieces is: I want this to be something unique and not something I could buy off the rack. Also, miles of mindless stockinette are out.
I'm loving this book. Just finishing up another tank top before I get started on some of these projects. I'm not a fan of the chunky knits or the puffy sleeve sweater- but otherwise it's excellent. Even my fashionista sister wants me to knit her up some of these designs.
Kathryn
I haven't gotten a chance to knit anything from it yet (still finishing another sweater, but I love the author's approach to hand-knitted garments and fitting (people don't have to match standardized sizes). I can't wait to knit my first sweater from this book--
Lost_Clown
Love this book. It has many great patterns. I have the yarn and the plans to complete 90% of the patterns in the book. I'm very picky about knitting books and found this to be wonderful. There are things for everyone in this book.
Ladylike
I'm near the end of knitting my first pattern from this book and so far everything is working out as planned (and as written in the pattern!).

The designs in the book are beautifully photographed, well written and appealing.
Rebecca
Being someone who usually only uses vintage patterns collected from thrift stores, this is one of the few modern books I would consider adding to my collection. Japel solves the raglan fitting problem quite neatly and easily.
Chrissy
Nov 27, 2013 Chrissy added it
Shelves: knit
I like the fit of most of these but would mute the patterning if I made any of them. The concept is good and there's useful info on fit and sweater construction that can be applied to other patterns as well.
Heather
Wonderful patterns for knitters who like simple, modern clothes with subtle patterns and colors. I've attempted only two of these patterns so far, but have loved them both and can't wait to do them all!
D1wata
This book provided my first sweater pattern. It's very simple now that I've done more research, but is great for knitters who are interested in making the leap. It's easy to customize patterns from here.
Miss Mouse
Stephanie has some interesting patterns. I've always loved seeing her designs on her blog (glampyre.com), but while the patterns in her book have some really cool details, overall, they're just not my taste.
Jessica
I've knit two patterns from this book, the shrug and the puff sleeved cardigan. It's got a lovely selection of patterns and clearly explains how to adjust for different body types. Highly recommended!
  • Lace Style
  • Custom Knits: Unleash Your Inner Designer with Top-Down and Improvisational Techniques
  • Handknit Holidays: Knitting Year-Round for Christmas, Hanukkah, and Winter Solstice
  • A Treasury of Knitting Patterns
  • Knitting Lingerie Style: More Than 30 Basic and Lingerie - Inspired Designs
  • The Vogue® Knitting Stitchionary Volume Two: Cables: The Ultimate Stitch Dictionary from the Editors of Vogue® Knitting Magazine
  • Knitting Nature: 39 Designs Inspired by Patterns in Nature
  • The Best of Interweave Knits
  • Vogue Knitting Stitchionary Volume One: Knit & Purl: The Ultimate Stitch Dictionary from the Editors of Vogue Knitting Magazine
  • Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitter's Almanac
  • Sensational Knitted Socks
  • The Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques
  • French Girl Knits
  • Loop-d-Loop: More Than 40 Novel Designs for Knitters
  • A Gathering of Lace
  • Knitting on the Edge: Ribs * Ruffles * Lace * Fringes * Floral * Points & Picots - The Essential Collection of 350 Decorative Borders
  • Last-Minute Knitted Gifts
  • Knit 2 Together: Patterns and Stories for Serious Knitting Fun
Glam Knits: 25+ Designs for Luxe Yarns Mom & Me Knits: 20 Pretty Projects for Mothers and Daughters Glam Knits: 25 Designs For Luxe Yarns Top Down Knits: Knitwear Design from Concept to Finished Garments